Oral mouth piece success??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Solrac08

Oral mouth piece success??

Post by Solrac08 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:16 pm

I’m new to apnea and I’m waiting for my Cpap to arrive but was told it could be up to 6 to 8 weeks…..so in the mean time, I’m using a oral piece. Has anybody had any success with using one of these??

chipva

Re: Oral mouth piece success??

Post by chipva » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:34 pm

I am currently using one while I get over my denial of CPAP. It seems to stop my snoring if it stays in place. But due to my wearing of a retainer it isn't as tight as it used to be and sometime slips off my teeth. Also, it is putting some serious pressure on my forn teeth and if I wasn't wearing retainers, I would almost certainly have shifted my teeth a ton. As it is, I am pretty sure they've still shifted a little.

6-8 weeks as you wait for a CPAP may not be a big deal, but I wouldn't delay (as I have)

ChicagoGranny

Re: Oral mouth piece success??

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am

Solrac08 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:16 pm
I’m new to apnea and I’m waiting for my Cpap to arrive but was told it could be up to 6 to 8 weeks…..so in the mean time, I’m using a oral piece. Has anybody had any success with using one of these??
What kind of oral piece? Mandibular Advancement Device?

You can try it while waiting for CPAP, but the most important interim measure is avoiding back-sleeping. Sleeping exclusively on the sides or stomach may provide some relief from obstructive sleep apnea.