Oscar vs SleepHQ

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
golfgame

Oscar vs SleepHQ

Post by golfgame » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:38 am

I don't know about you but I have always found looking at Oscar reports to be hard to understand. Perhaps that is because there is no one explaining it all. Enter Uncle Nico and SleepHQ, what a complete difference, he is just great at reviewing what his SleepHQ app is reporting. Take a look at this video and decide for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfeYfoy-BS8

clownbell

Re: Oscar vs SleepHQ

Post by clownbell » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:53 pm

@ Golfgame - have you read the Apnea Board wiki? Yes it involves a little effort, but you will come away educated (not expert). In my case, having no science background, I had to read some things 2-3 times to understand the info.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:30 pm

golfgame wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:38 am
I don't know about you but I have always found looking at Oscar reports to be hard to understand. Perhaps that is because there is no one explaining it all. Enter Uncle Nico and SleepHQ, what a complete difference, he is just great at reviewing what his SleepHQ app is reporting. Take a look at this video and decide for yourself.
Didn't follow the link but googled it instead. Post my health info to a cloud based system ? I think NOT!
Last edited by babydinosnoreless on Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:30 pm
golfgame wrote:
Post my health info to a cloud based system ? I think NOT!
Isn't this already posted in the cloud if you use a ResMed machine?

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:32 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 pm
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:30 pm
golfgame wrote:
Post my health info to a cloud based system ? I think NOT!
Isn't this already posted in the cloud if you use a ResMed machine?
Not if you put it in airplane mode or remove the modem.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 am

Yes, Uncle Nicko does have a way of explaining things in a very easy-to-understand manner. I don't think that's the difference between Oscar & SleepHQ though: Nicko would be good at explaining things regardless of the software platform. A lot of what he says is equally applicable to Oscar or any other detailed sleep report program.

For those who don't know, SleepHQ is a cloud-based program which provides charts & graphs somewhat similar to Oscar but with a more "friendly" appearance. It's still officially in beta test phase but is pretty stable. It's only been going a short time and has nowhere near the bells and whistles of Oscar, but it gives you most of what you need. Being cloud-based is an instant turn-off for some people who (quite reasonably) want to keep their data private. On the other hand, it has two great advantages:

1. It works on any device with a web browser, including phones and tablets as well as "real" computers. This is becoming an issue for many users who can't use Oscar on their mobile device.

2. You can create a link to one night's data which can then be posted to a forum or sent to somebody else for review. Once in the view, the reviewer can zoom in and out and pan around to get a detailed look at the charts. How many times on this forum have we had to ask people to zoom in on an event or else give an overview - SleepHQ allows the reviewer to do this.

Somebody over at ApneaBoard has put together a page called "Oscar - The Guide" which is a distillation of much of the other stuff in the wiki. The first part of that page (which is largely copied from material I wrote in a former life) is excellent. The stuff towards the end is pretty sloppy. But it's all there. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... _The_Guide
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:53 am

Expect SleepHQ to become monetized.

Right now SleepHQ claims over 6.6 million hours of sleep being tracked.

My Resmed uses about half a MB of data per hour. So currently user data uses about 3,325,000 MB, or 3.3 Terabytes. That kind of cloud storage and bandwidth is not free and eventually needs to be charged back, somehow.

Right now, SleepHQ supports ResMed S9, Air 10, Air 11 and DreamStation. The OSCAR team has recently published 1.4.0 which includes the code to break the DS2 encryption.

It will be *very* interesting to see how soon SleepHQ supports the DS2.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 am

Yes, Nicko has already said there will be a paid, premium product in future but the base version will always remain free. He has access to a lot of data already, which will no doubt have considerable research value, which may be an opportunity for monetisation. As it stands at the moment, SleepHQ is not a good enough product to be charged for while Oscar remains free, but they've come a long way quite quickly, so we'll see what happens in future.

Regarding the cracking of the DS2 code, this is an excellent outcome for Oscar, which has been praised by Nicko on both his YouTube and Facebook channels. Oscar is of course open source, which means the code is open to anybody who wants to have a look. SleepHQ would be silly not to see how it's been done.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:12 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 am
Oscar is of course open source, which means the code is open to anybody who wants to have a look. SleepHQ would be silly not to see how it's been done.
One of the basic tenets of most Open Source is for the referenced code to remain open, in some cases the licence requirements demands that using the code even with modification requires the code to remain open.

You obviously don't know much about copyright if you make the claim "SleepHQ would be silly not to see how it's been done.". Even if you then write your own code, after referencing other code, your code can still be considered a derivative work.

When code is reverse engineered, a clean-room methodology is considered best practice. This reduces the potential for copyright infringement claims.

I have no idea if SleepHQ has been referencing OSCAR code or not. However, should it magicly show up with DS2 support, without reference to OSCAR and a clean-room reverse engineering method, that's enough evidence for me to consider it stolen work.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 am

this is an excellent discussion and i hope it continues. it's very important for us "average users" to see what the benefits of each piece of software is(are?).

as sleephq popularity grows, people will be coming here with questions. or at least, i hope they will. it's nice to have at least two forum members well versed in each.

good stuff!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 pm

I really like the SleepHQ trend data. The GUI is nice. I am willing to pay for it. I'm also willing to pay for Oscar. Both are excellent programs.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:57 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:...You obviously don't know much about copyright...
That's what I love about this forum. People are so pleasant when they disagree about something. As you are obviously a highly credentialed copyright lawyer I won't presume to argue with you.
Last edited by Respirator99 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:05 pm

For information, here is a link to SleepHQ data. Note that you can get all the keyboard shortcuts up by pressing the K key. You can zoom in and out with the Z and X keys and pan left & right with the arrow keys. As with Oscar you can click & drag to highlight an area of interest. Oscar has quite a lot of stuff that SleepHQ doesn't, but may appear in future.

I think SleepHQ is aimed at a different audience - primarily people who are intimidated by the technical look & feel of Oscar, and also people who use a tablet or phone but not a computer.

https://sleephq.com/public/fec24f4c-a7b ... bc9febc0d4
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:57 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:...You obviously don't know much about copyright...
That's what I love about this forum. People are so pleasant when they disagree about something.
In both directions.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wbferrara

Post by Wbferrara » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:17 am

Have been using Oscar for a while, and recently been giving Sleep HQ a try. I have noticed that the import process for Sleep HQ has improved over the last couple of months. Today I also noticed a teaser for "Magic Uploader" currently in beta. Since many machines have lost their comm link since 3G has been abandoned, anyone have any details on the Uploader and if it will allow communication from 3G modem CPAP machines?