Pressure vs mask vs machine vs me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fastiguana

Pressure vs mask vs machine vs me

Post by fastiguana » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 pm

Hi everyone,

Does the pressure depend on the mask and the machine?

I've been using a Resmed S8, then an S9, with an Activa LT mask for over 10 years at 5 cm H2O and getting great results. AHI usually around 0, feeling great, and I consider the treatment 100% successful.

I recently got an AirMini for travel, and since it requires specialized masks, got an N20 since it is most like my Activa. After a few days using it at 5 cm H2O, I felt terrible. I switched it to APAP mode, and discovered that the 95% pressure was around 12 cm H2O. Long story short, using an AirMini + N20, I needed a pressure range in APAP mode of 10-14. That works fine, other than the discomfort from being at a higher pressure.

I tried using the N20 on my S9, and needed to set the pressure to 11.0 before I felt good.

Curious, I got an adapter so that I can use the Activa on the AirMini. There, on APAP mode, I found the 95% pressure was at 9.6.

It seems like I need higher pressures on the AirMini. Also, I need a higher pressure with the N20 than the Activa. This doesn't seem right to me. What can be going on? I would like to be able to use the AirMini at a lower pressure (since 5 cm H2O is so much more comfortable), but it seems like this is not going to be possible?

Thanks!