Still having trouble sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Martinperry42

Still having trouble sleeping

Post by Martinperry42 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am

I’ve been using my cpap machine for a little over two years now and I still have not been able to sleep more that 30 minutes at a time. I have tried every mask assembly in production for the Resmed Airsense 10. I have tried different air pressure settings, humidity levels. Nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Julie

Re: Still having trouble sleeping

Post by Julie » Fri May 27, 2022 9:36 am

Post Oscar results here (ala Stickie) and let others see what's what.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 27, 2022 9:42 am

We need a lot more information to go on to be able to give ideas.
Start here
viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Do you take any medications of any kind? Even OTC....if so, what?
Do you have any other physical or mental health issues that could be affecting sleep quality?
Do you drink alcohol within 2 hours of bedtime? Any recreational drug use?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Architect

Post by Architect » Fri May 27, 2022 7:31 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:42 am
Do you drink alcohol within 2 hours of bedtime?
Don't forget caffeine :wink:

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri May 27, 2022 7:45 pm

Martinperry42 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am
I’ve been using my cpap machine for a little over two years now and I still have not been able to sleep more that 30 minutes at a time.
I find the question ambiguous:
Do you mean "still" as in "and because of CPAP I still have not been able to sleep more that 30 minutes at a time"
Or do you "still" as in "despite CPAP I still have not been able to sleep more that 30 minutes at a time"

Two very different questions. If not sleeping for more than 30 minutes as a time is what caused you to look for a sleep test in the first place, that's a who 'nother story....

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Martinperry42

Post by Martinperry42 » Fri May 27, 2022 7:46 pm

I don’t drink or smoke or take any kind of medication otc or otherwise. Let me add, the only time I have trouble sleeping is when I am wearing the CPAP. If I go to sleep without it I will sleep 8 to 10 hours uninterrupted. I have tested a multitude of scenarios and it boils down to the two above. I am truly at a loss. My wife tells me I snore and stop breathing without the machine but I sleep the best. When I am on the cpap my wife sleeps the best.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 27, 2022 7:49 pm

Architect wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Oh I haven't forgotten caffeine among a lot of other things but I have found that I do good to get answers to 2 or 3 questions so I save the other questions until I get an adequate response to my first set of questions.

Often I asked multiple questions and get maybe 1 answer and zero answers to the other questions. So I don't do a big list of questions until I know someone is paying attention and engaging.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 pm

Martinperry42 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:46 pm
I have tested a multitude of scenarios and it boils down to the two above.
What two above? I am confused. I don't know what you are talking about.
What causes you to wake up? Do you know? How long will you stay awake when you do wake up?

What brand and model machine are you using?

Martinperry42

Post by Martinperry42 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 pm

Two above: with cpap and without cpap. I’m not exactly sure what keeps waking me up, all I know it it started when the first day I went on cpap.

Resmed Airsense 10

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri May 27, 2022 8:37 pm

From the above sticky:
3...Hopefully you will have a machine that offers full data an easily available software (free) to use if you are wanting to know how you are doing or if you are having a problem.
Edited to remover incorrect info... :oops: Thanks, Pugsy.
The software tracks every breath and will let you and us see what happens after half an hour on CPAP.

Last edited by ozij on Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 27, 2022 9:03 pm

Martinperry42 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 pm
Resmed Airsense 10
Which AirSense 10 model? There are 4 different models.

CPAP
Elite
AutoSet
AutoSet for Her

The CPAP model doesn't offer the detailed data stuff that OSCAR needs...hopefully you don't have that machine. It's not compatible with OSCAR because it doesn't show any detailed data.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri May 27, 2022 9:28 pm

While others are working to discern if there;s something with your CPAP treatment that could be improved, I want to throw out something that is a long shot but worth mentioning.

Do you have any problems with jumpy legs, or have you been diagnosed as having periodic limb movements? Does your wife report your legs or feet moving during your sleep? The reason I ask is because if a person has both Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, one can mask the other, even possibly causing one of the disorders to miss being diagnosed because the other was more dominant during sleep studies. Both of these disorders vie for prominence, and the one that wins gets diagnosed. Treating whichever one is dominant or most apparent then leaves the other free to more fully manifest. So for instance, if your waking from apnea events was resolved by CPAP, then your improved sleep is like an open playground for other sleep disorders. That could explain why your sleep worsens with CPAP. If limb movements are not your issue, maybe someone else will benefit from reading about this possibility. Good luck with resolving your sleep issues.

Architect

Post by Architect » Fri May 27, 2022 11:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:49 pm
Architect wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Oh I haven't forgotten caffeine among a lot of other things but I have found that I do good to get answers to 2 or 3 questions so I save the other questions until I get an adequate response to my first set of questions.

Often I asked multiple questions and get maybe 1 answer and zero answers to the other questions. So I don't do a big list of questions until I know someone is paying attention and engaging.
Gotcha, make sense to me :wink: