Good guide for setting humidity and tube temp in NE dry winter? AirSense 11 machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jefegrande

Good guide for setting humidity and tube temp in NE dry winter? AirSense 11 machine

Post by jefegrande » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Greetings!

So I'm relatively new to using a CPAP, started back in December. I have the Airsense 11 with a heated tube and full face mask (ResMed AirFit N20). I live in the Northeast US where it is pretty cold right now. House is typically dry from the heat running. I set the humidity to 5 out of 8 possible (finding I can't really go much higher without rain out) and have kept the tube setting a bit high (around 82 degrees). I thought warm moist air would be best given it is winter. However, here's my issue: every day I wake up with some extra phlegm in the back of my throat that just continues to be produced all day. It's like when you are at the end of a cold and are almost over it, but not quite. I'm not necessarily stuffed up or heavily congested, just a runny nose and phlegmy at the back of my throat all day. This has been going on ever since I started. I figure it must have something to do with my settings and don't know what I should try next.

So what is your sage advice? In cold dry weather, should you have the humidity up this high, or do I have it too high? What about the tube temp? If the tube temp is high are you more or less likely to get rain out with a high humidity level? I'm wondering how these two elements work together and what settings you tend to use in such winter weather when everything is cold and dry.

Thanks!