Bleep Mask--Any handy hints for transitioning to Bleep mask from Airfit P10?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MarylandCPAPer2

Bleep Mask--Any handy hints for transitioning to Bleep mask from Airfit P10?

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:24 am

Bleep mask users. I would appreciate hearing your experiences using the Bleep mask and any suggestions for how to get used to it. I currently use an Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask but the straps are pressing on a broken cheekbone from a fall 3.5 weeks ago. Thanks for any help.

Maryland CPAPer2
Started CPAP 12/09. Currently use (since 2015) AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER.APAP Range: 11-20, AirFit P10 mask. Started home oxygen at 2L on 8/7/20.
Previously (2010 to 2015) APAP, Pressure 10-16. PR System One.. Was Maryland CPAPer 12/09 to 4/20.

loggerhead12

Re: Bleep Mask--Any handy hints for transitioning to Bleep mask from Airfit P10?

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:41 am

There's not much to it. It'll probably take you a few nights to find the right skin prep and the ideal way to attach them to your nose so they don't leak. I just wash my nose and use straight alcohol, but apparently that makes most people cringe.

I keep a backup mask next to the bed for those few times where I completely screw it up and have to bail, but that doesn't happen very many times. Maybe a couple of times a year now.

Hose routing is important. You don't want to pull on the hose much because you'll unstick the pads and make them leak, or you'll pull the interface apart.

Pugsy

Re: Bleep Mask--Any handy hints for transitioning to Bleep mask from Airfit P10?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:05 am

Skin prep is going to be critical.
Wash the area where the ports have to stick really, really good with soap and water and THEN wipe with some sort of astringent....I use plain old alcohol.

Watch the videos that I sent you the link to for other hints.

I don't need or want any sort of hose hanger system but other swear by them....so that's a YMMV thing.

If you want to moisturize your face....just avoid the nose and upper lip area...avoid anywhere the ports need to stick to the skin.

I sent you some extra ports to play with because the attaching process is a bit fiddly to get it right but doesn't take long.

Going to post office right now.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SJ-Paddler

Post by SJ-Paddler » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:51 am

What is the cost of those things? Initial setup, then monthly cost? I am guessing you can't get insurance to pay for them.

I have an Eson 2 coming tonight to try to see if I can transition from Full Face to Nasal Mask. Fingers crossed.

APAP Pressure: 13 cm - 15 cm / Average 13.3 cm / 3 cm EPR Pressure Relief

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:11 pm

To get my skin ready, I use alcohol wipes, which are in the diabetic care aisle at my pharmacy.

You might want to practice clicking ports onto the interface before sticking the ports on your nose.

I cut off the ends of the port adhesive and use the cut-off bits to buttress next to my nares.

When you think you have everything ready to go, check that you have the ports properly clicked into place by putting your hand over the end of the short hose and seeing (and hearing) whether air is escaping anywhere. If everything is as it should be, you won't hear anything, and you'll see the sides of your nose expanding outward a little bit.

I like using a hose lift (hose stand). The Hose Buddy is very sturdy; the Houdini is less sturdy but swivels especially well. Plus it telescopes down to hide behind a pillow during the day.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:18 pm

SJ-Paddler wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:51 am
What is the cost of those things? Initial setup, then monthly cost?
Depends on where you buy them.
SJ-Paddler wrote:
I am guessing you can't get insurance to pay for them.
Your guess would be wrong, the Bleep is covered the same as nasal pillows.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:20 pm

SJ-Paddler wrote:
What is the cost of those things? Initial setup, then monthly cost? I am guessing you can't get insurance to pay for them.

I have an Eson 2 coming tonight to try to see if I can transition from Full Face to Nasal Mask. Fingers crossed.
You would be guessing wrong...Insurance and even Medicare will pay for the Bleep.
The hard part is getting the DME suppliers to order them. Now the DME might lie to you and tell you your insurance won't pay for them...but that's a bald face lie.
The Bleep uses the same HCPCS billing code as any nasal cushion mask and one box of ports counts as 1 cushion.
Even Medicare allows 2 nasal cushions or nasal pillows per month.
All insurance companies use the HCPCS billing code system for payment. They don't use brand names or mask types in the billing paperwork....all they use is the HCPCS billing code.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:24 pm

SJ, insurance does cover the bleep products for me, and I'm sure for most others. They are billed under codes used for other masks.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

SJ-Paddler

Post by SJ-Paddler » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks, I will have to keep that in mind down the road.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:42 pm

https://youtu.be/L-pRVlAo6Ic

The above is a link to Stuart (inventor and owner of bleep) showing how to put the bleep on. He also displays the units he uses to hold the tube above your head. I use and really like the same items.

I LOVE the bleep, and would never go back to any regular mask. No straps on your head and face and no mask to press against your skin!
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

SJ-Paddler

Post by SJ-Paddler » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:46 pm

Just looked up, very affordable. $43 a month / $129 a quarter. I think nose cushions are $31 each and you need 2 a month.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:51 pm

SJ-Paddler wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:46 pm
Just looked up, very affordable. $43 a month / $129 a quarter. I think nose cushions are $31 each and you need 2 a month.
The biggest expense will be the nightly ports you have to stick on your nose. They simply will not stick again after one night.

The part of the mask that attaches to the frame....that will last forever with common sense care.
Called different things by different people but this part.. Connector kit is what it is called here....or Dreamway Interface or DreamWay Connector.
https://makesleepeasy.com/products/drea ... eq=uniform
This link is for the connecting frame and the diffuser holder thing. Most of us just call it the bikini thong because that's sort of what it looks like.

The little black thingy....that's the diffuser which holds a tiny bit of filter material and diffuses the venting making the Bleep silent in terms of venting. It also will last a long time with common sense care.
But it can be bought separately as well.
https://makesleepeasy.com/products/drea ... eq=uniform

Once you have the above....take care of it and it will last years with just common sense care.

I am NOT pushing this website. I am using them because they have extremely easy to see pictures.
They may or may not have the best prices for anything.

Actually the Bleep might be cheaper at cpap.com because their 54.99 price covers the above parts AND it has 1 box of ports (32 ports which amounts to 16 nights)....and even though the link doesn't show the bikini thong thing or the heat sync better hose...it is what you get because I just ordered some from cpap.com and that's what I got and that's what I sent to Marylandcpaper.

Don't forget...cpap.com has the free 30 day trial thing...hate it and you return it and get your money back.

Now the replacement ports (the things that you stick on your nose) that's where the potential for expense can come in BUT insurance will pay for them just like they pay for a replacement nose cushion or nasal pillow....

Though don't go wild and crazy if you like the Bleep and get tempted to buy in big bulk....there's a new and improved version of the Bleep that will hopefully be released around June. It doesn't use these ports and trust me...people are going to prefer the new model. Don't go buying a years worth of ports....you will be kicking yourself in the butt when you see the new model...and probably offering them for sale at a steep discounted price. :lol:
If you don't have insurance...if you shop around you can find deals if you buy in bulk a bit.
Check out Amazon as well. You can buy the box of ports (32) for about 13.50 and the DreamWay connector thing for about $35 and you have a complete mask and you don't need a RX when you buy them separately...and if you are a Prime member shipping is free.

Shop smart...check out multiple places for deals...Once you have that DreamWay Connector thing and you take care of it...all you have to buy are the ports and there are some good deals if you buy say...3 months worth at a time.

You don't have to use the diffuser thing but the venting is strong and loud if you don't. Changing the little filter material...maybe every 2 or 3 months as needed...and easy to do. You can buy precut filter material or you can just cut up a ResMed machine filter...which is what I do.

So people have several options and insurance will pay but you have to get the DME to supply them and some DMEs just don't want to do it and they tell you all sorts of lies....the most common lie "your insurance won't pay" or "that will never work".
I got told those lies from my own DME...refused to supply parts to me and I had been using it for 5 months when I asked them to order it. They are my previous DME...I don't like being lied to. I haven't bought even a filter from them since they told me those lies.

Is the Bleep for everyone? Of course not...no mask ever is for everyone. But if it looks interesting then by all means try it...the 30 day free return at cpap.com makes it really a no brainer.
You can go to the website and read and watch videos to get an idea about it all.
https://bleepsleep.com/videos/
The biggest drawback...the attaching of the ports can be fiddly but I got to the point I can get everything done within 30 seconds...after the alcohol wiping dries. If you have bad dexterity in your hands or fingers....probably going to have a problem. BUT...wait until the new model comes out later....it's going to be super easy even if you have hand or finger problems.

MarylandCPAPer2

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:40 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I called my DME and they said they don't stock the Bleep but could order it. Thanks to Pugsy for helping me get one sooner.

MarylandCPAPer2
Started CPAP 12/09. Currently use (since 2015) AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER.APAP Range: 11-20, AirFit P10 mask. Started home oxygen at 2L on 8/7/20.
Previously (2010 to 2015) APAP, Pressure 10-16. PR System One.. Was Maryland CPAPer 12/09 to 4/20.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 am

For a backup to the Bleep, may I suggest a Sleepweaver, either Elan or Advance?
These cloth masks are extremely light, and usually place no more pressure
on the face than a nonmedical covid mask.
Another suggestion might be a fitlife total face mask,
but that depends on where the cushion contacts your face.
Heal with all speed.

MarylandCPAPer2

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:16 am

Thanks for the suggestions and good wishes, chunkyfrog. I think anything that touches the side of the face is likely to be a problem for me, but I took a look at the masks you suggested, just in case.

Maryland CPAPer