I have a bad sinus infection and using my CPAP HURTS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jpek

I have a bad sinus infection and using my CPAP HURTS!

Post by jpek » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 am

Hello, folks. I haven't been on this board in ages. Have mostly been contentedly using my CPAP, mostly with the DreamWear nose pillow mask. But now I have a problem. Due to some dental work gone wrong I had a big infection in my mouth that went on for a couple of months -- I know: not good. When the dentist cleaned it up, the infection went into my sinus, despite the antibiotics I was taking. Now I'm taking a stronger antibiotic, but meanwhile I'm in pain, which even ibuprofen isn't completely controlling. This infection has made the use of my CPAP very difficult. A couple of days ago I switched from using my DreamWear to my old Wisp, which used to be my go-to mask, but has been largely retired. It's a nasal mask though, so a little easier on my left nostril. Also, it blows out warm air when I exhale, which feels nice in this case. But it's not enough and after a couple of hours of this I wake up with even more of a sinus and jaw ache. Plus I am thinking that the CPAP might be making the infection or at least the irritation worse? But I really can't get good sleep without it, so what can I do?

ChicagoGranny

Re: I have a bad sinus infection and using my CPAP HURTS!

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 am

jpek wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 am
what can I do?
Are you doing saline nasal rinses twice per day? https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-NasaFlo- ... ef=sr_1_23

You could use Nasalcort or a similar spray after the nasal rinses.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:13 pm

Consider seeing your doctor again. Repeat as needed.
Resistant bugs are nasty, and your doc may need to send a culture to the lab
in order to nail down the right drug to knock it out for good.
As always, take the entire prescription, unless the doctor indicates otherwise.
Prescription size is designed to prevent antibiotic-resistance.
Surviving germs become strong--gotta kill them all.

jpek

Post by jpek » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:42 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 am
jpek wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 am
what can I do?
Are you doing saline nasal rinses twice per day? https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-NasaFlo- ... ef=sr_1_23

You could use Nasalcort or a similar spray after the nasal rinses.
I haven't been using nasal sprays, no, since antibiotics are involved and we're bringing out the big guns. That said, I don't know that much about sinus infections. How will nasal sprays help me sleep with my CPAP?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 pm

jpek wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:42 pm
How will nasal sprays help me sleep with my CPAP?
They reduce inflammation and congestion in the nasal passages. These are corticosteroid sprays - https://www.webmd.com/allergies/steroid_nasal_sprays

Sprays based on oxymetazoline (Afrin types) may cause insomnia in some people.

Mayo Clinic has a good article on sinusitis. Be sure to read both pages - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20351671

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:13 pm

I too strongly recommend using a neti pot. A neti pot is just a way to irrigate and clean out your sinuses with salt water and is harmless. I spent many years fighting sinus infections and found using the neti pot helped tremendously. As to sprays, etc., I would not use them unless your doctor told you to.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:26 pm

Given that you're working with a doctor, I'd recommend checking with the doc before trying rinses. I'd also recommend reporting your continuing problems to your doctor, as CF says. Ask whether it is normal for the new antibiotic not to have worked yet. Nail down how long it should take for the current antibiotic to resolve your symptoms. If you sense any waffling or wavering, ask to have a further study to make sure you're taking the best drug for your particular symptom.

As for using CPAP, you might also ask the doc about that.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:17 pm

In such a case, I use antibiotics, saline nasal rinses (NeilMed 2-3 times daily), and a steroid nasal spray (fluticasone). If these fail me, I call my MD for an oral steroid (prednisone). Saline nasal rinses not only cleanse but also have a decongestant effect. Fluticasone reduces inflammation. Prednisone, of course, is a major anti-inflammatory agent.

Personally, I now abstain from all MILK products. All. Once I gave up milk, I 'gave up' sinus infections. Seriously.

Now, some of us find milk problematic while others do not. Fine. But you might try abstinence, at least until you are healed.