Understanding Flow Limitations on Respironics Dreamstation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dataq1

Understanding Flow Limitations on Respironics Dreamstation

Post by dataq1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 pm

My previous discussions about flow limitations pertained to Resmed machines. This question pertains to Respironics Dreamstation 1 APAP.
In the attached graph, is there some reason that the breath at 00:30:57 is flagged as a flow limitation (circled in red)?

Is there something that makes that breath different from the breaths preceding or following?

1-26-22 PR FL.jpg
1-26-22 PR FL.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

AmSleepnBetta

Re: Understanding Flow Limitations on Respironics Dreamstation

Post by AmSleepnBetta » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:57 pm

Good question. Not knowing the Dreamstation sampling breadth nor anything else about Respironics, I'd think a Resmed was tardily reporting about the earlier, few, adjacent, flow rate curves one of three things, or a combination of them: the proximal M -tip wave tip's shape and its and its closest neighbor's high tidal volume and duty cycle bumps, either or both being a possible critical FL trigger after a series of suspect lower volumes which are visible between the axis and inspiratory curve.

There are wide distributions of varying tidal volumes and proportions of inspiratory time vs expiration times (duty cycle ratios, the changes up and down). However, the preceding tidal volumes (the upper enclosed areas) do generally look lower than the earliest of them and lower than those after the FL. Still, one wonders why the waves after the FL passed muster. . . . Just a reach that comes to mind. The FL is a head scratcher. No help here, sorry.

Note: I am interpreting the vertical line down from the red circle as part of the flag, not a wave deformation.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:56 pm

AmSleepnBetta wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:57 pm
I am interpreting the vertical line down from the red circle as part of the flag, not a wave deformation.
I , as well, interpret the vertical line as a marker, rather than a breathing aberration.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:23 pm

Respironics have (as far back as I remember) flagged FLs just like OAs, hyponeas or clear airway events (system one and newer models were first to flag CAs).
Even back with the M Series and older models that didn't even do flow rate graphs at all...FLs were separate flagged events just not part of the AHI.

The line through the event is probably the marker line for flagging just like any other flagged event.
You might compare that line to any others flagged.

I have no idea what is the trigger for Respironics flagging FL events. Don't know that I have ever seen any sort of detailed explanation. Doesn't mean there isn't one...but I sure haven't seen it. Other than what might be available in the provider manual...I dunno. Have you looked in the provider manual for some sort of explanation?

I have a long list of negatives pertaining to Respironics and it started long before the foamgate thing.
This recent stuff was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
I won't even bother looking anymore.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.