DoeS OSCAR have data that says when you wake up in the night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BatmanMatt

DoeS OSCAR have data that says when you wake up in the night?

Post by BatmanMatt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:01 am

Is there a metric that points to a nighttime wake-up?

Airsense 11 w/ heated tubing
Bleep Dreamport System!!!

Pugsy

Re: DoeS OSCAR have data that says when you wake up in the night?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 am

Not a specific marker because OSCAR can only report the data that the machines report or gather and the machines can't/don't measure sleep status because they only measure air flow. These machines really don't have a clue if we are asleep or not.

But with time and experience people can use the flow rate which is breathing..and sometimes other data points...to know if they were awake or not. Awake breathing looks different than asleep breathing looks...so the flow rate zoomed in on looks different when asleep vs awake.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 am

another way is to reach over, shut the machine off and turn it back on. this will show up in the oscar charts.

this assumes, of course, that you are awake enough to go through that.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Or you could wear a fitness monitor.
Some claim to record sleep stages, based entirely by movements of your ARM.
The data is interesting, if not necessarily trustworthy.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:28 pm

I had a good example of awake/arousal breathing flow rate last night and also a couple of flagged events.
I consider these flagged events false positives and not real asleep events and if I were manually counting the AHI I would not include them. Also good proof that we can have false positives for OAs and hyponeas and it's not limited to just central apnea flagging.

Asleep breathing to the left of the first yellow highlighted strip and I didn't go back to sleep until to the right of the second yellow strip. Sometimes it's pretty easy to spot arousal/awake breathing like it is just to the left of the OA flag.
Sometimes not so easy as to the right of the yellow strip on the right. We do the best we can.

Asleep breathing is very regular and symmetrical. Awake/arousal breathing is much more irregular. Anything flagged during obvious arousal awake breathing doesn't count in terms of sleep apnea therapy evaluation. We have to be asleep for it to matter.

FWIW....I don't remember any of this specifically. I always wake often during the night anyway due to changing position a bit to relieve pain or whatever. I am never quite awake enough to think about doing the off/on trick to mark the awakening though. It's usually very brief anyway and I just am not coherent enough (nor really need to) mark the awakening for review later. Besides....I can usually easily spot evidence of arousal/awake breathing and I don't really need to mark it with an off/on marker from the machine.
Now people not adept at evaluating the flow rate...definitely turn the machine off and back on if they want an easy to see marker and they are coherent enough to do it.

Probably 75% of any flagging I see on my reports is always related to arousal false positives. I haven't looked at the other flags from last night but I expect that it will also reflect primarily false positives. I know I don't sleep so great and I know why and I accept it and keep trying different things to help me sleep more soundly. What I do know is that my real asleep flagged events are extremely minimal in number and duration and my sleep apnea is well treated. My crappy sleep has nothing to do with my sleep apnea. I don't spend a lot of time putting all this stuff under the microscope because I already know what I will see and there aren't any magic tweaks with the machine that are really going to make any difference.
Already been there and done that.
I just happen to have this one in front of me because I am going to do a review on a new mask shortly so I was just looking at things more closely.
AwakewithflagexampleJan15.PNG
AwakewithflagexampleJan15.PNG (66.38 KiB) Viewed 2941 times

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 pm
Or you could wear a fitness monitor.
Some claim to record sleep stages, based entirely by movements of your ARM.
The data is interesting, if not necessarily trustworthy.
Interesting but not always accurate so I also take it with a grain of salt.
When my Fitbit told me I was in REM sleep and I knew for a fact I was up letting the dog out to go pee....I learned it wasn't always perfect. :lol: :lol:
Interestingly enough it did usually flag "light sleep" fairly frequently that did go along with nights where I probably had more tossing and turning due to pain issues. So there is probably some accuracy there but I wouldn't put all my eggs in the one basket and rely on the data as the gospel set in stone.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:36 pm

If it's easier than turning the machine off and on, you can either spike a leak or take a couple of quick and very deep breaths. You'll be able to see the leak on your leak graph and the deep breaths on your flow rate.

But I recommend what Pugsy suggests. Zoom in to around a 5 minute interval and scroll through the night, looking for irregular breathing, often deeper than asleep breathing. I'm attaching a couple of examples of short arousals from my flow rate graph.

After an arousal, you may be awake for a while but breathing fairly regularly. I find that when that happens, my breathing gets deeper when I finally fall back asleep.

more arousal flow rate.png
arousal flow rate.png
Arousal and short awakening.png
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/