Philips Dreamstation Constantly Restarting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
burgoo1

Philips Dreamstation Constantly Restarting

Post by burgoo1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:50 am

I've had a Philips Dreamstation for about a year and a half, and had no problems with it until last night. About 3:30 AM my house lost power for a few minutes (I'm one of those people that will sleep through a thunderstorm but wake up because of the sudden silence from all the various fans and white noise sources). I can't say how long it was off, but less than an hour I think.

When power resumed, my CPAP's display showed it power on, but then it turned back off before it finished booting up (it still was showing the initial Philips logo screen). And it continues to just keep cycling on/off every 2 seconds (I timed it). I've checked the plug into the machine, the plug into the brick, and plugged the cord into several different outlets (none with surge protectors).

Has anyone heard of or seen this behavior before? Any thoughts on solutions?

LSAT

Re: Philips Dreamstation Constantly Restarting

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 am

Hopefully you know that your machine is under recall...You should have registered for a replacement. Your problem is not the reason for the recall. It appears to be a different problem.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:03 pm

Any time something with a power button keeps restarting the first thing to suspect is dirt in the power button itself. That goes for phones, computers, tablets, whatever.

Remove the power cord, then press the power button repeatedly, quickly, like 50-100 times. You're trying to knock out or at least reposition any dust or dirt in the button. Plug it back in and see if it helped.

Here's a video that shows the same issue on a phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSD2f_d5OVQ

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:19 pm

burgoo1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:50 am
When power resumed, my CPAP's display showed it power on, but then it turned back off before it finished booting up (it still was showing the initial Philips logo screen). And it continues to just keep cycling on/off every 2 seconds (I timed it). I've checked the plug into the machine, the plug into the brick, and plugged the cord into several different outlets (none with surge protectors).

This is a good reason to keep a cpap plugged into a battery or a surge protector. When (always) plugged in to a battery You can sleep right thru a power interruption.

If doing what loghead suggests doesn't help I'm thinking that your electronics has a fault that is causing it to recycle.
Time to look for a used replacement but definitely register it for the recall if you haven't yet done so..
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

klm49

Post by klm49 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:53 am

burgoo1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:50 am
I've had a Philips Dreamstation for about a year and a half, and had no problems with it until last night. About 3:30 AM my house lost power for a few minutes (I'm one of those people that will sleep through a thunderstorm but wake up because of the sudden silence from all the various fans and white noise sources). I can't say how long it was off, but less than an hour I think.

Check the power plug where it goes into the machine for corrosion. When I had a Dream Station mine corroded and it would go on/off and that was the problem. I ended up buying a new power supply because of the corrosion. It is very hard to clean the plug.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:19 pm

If you haven't already, unplug everything for an hour or more and then retry it. Occasionally electronic/computer devices will retain a voltage internally (capacitors) for a period of time which may prevent a device from starting up properly. Unplugging may help to allow the voltage to dissipate. I don't have hopes this will work, but worth a try.

The power supply is kind of the first line of defense for a power surge and may be the most likely part to fail before a surge got to the machine itself. There are CPAP suppliers on line that have replacement power supplies and probably your DME may also if they stock spare parts. Check the model number of the power supply on the label (might be MDS-080AAS12 A for the DreamStation Auto). There appears to be at least one seller on a popular online auction site that has used ones.

Registering the DreamStation for the recall may get you a replacement in 3-4 months with luck, but you should register if you haven't already.

I'm on Medicare. My DME had told me if my machine fails before its scheduled replacement time (5 yrs)they are obligated to replace it. This has not been put to the test, so I don't know if it would be replaced or not (DME's occasionally say things that may not be true :shock: ). Perhaps call your DME and see if and what they can do for you if the machine doesn't come back to life.