Does type of mask affect air pressure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tokyoite

Does type of mask affect air pressure?

Post by Tokyoite » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:25 am

I live in Japan. For years I've been using a Philips REMstar machine, but it started acting weird this fall - it seemed like the pressure was too strong and adjusting it did no good. (Yes, this machine has also been recalled.)

In Japan, CPAP machines are really expensive because of import taxes, and buying one isn't covered by health insurance. I bought the Philips machine in the US. Since it seems to be malfunctioning, I started renting a different machine. It's a Fisher and Paykel Healthcare SleepStyle machine.

It works fine, but I miss the Philips nosepiece. This is what I'm used to:
philips.jpg
philips.jpg (92.59 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
This is the F&P headpiece.
fisher&paykel.jpg
fisher&paykel.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
I really don't like having the tube come off the top of my head, and the nose part gets out of place fairly easily. And I have other complaints.

The Philips piece fits the F&P tube, but when I use that one on this machine, it makes me breathe too heavily and I'm so uncomfortable I can barely fall asleep. I saw my doctor last week and he reduced my pressure range (top pressure is 7 now rather than 10), and it's somewhat better but still too strong. I guess I'll have to see if he'll reduce the pressure more, or just give up and stick with the F&P headpiece.

Has anyone else had this same experience? Do different types of CPAP headwear change the perceived air pressure setting?