AirSense 10 Autoset Humidifier Kaput

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PWKopy

AirSense 10 Autoset Humidifier Kaput

Post by PWKopy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:15 am

Hello all. The humidifier on my 5-year old AirSense 10 quit heating. It's been kaput for months while I've been sorting out Medicare and other issues of my recent retirement. Yesterday, I found a thread on this forum targeting the same issue with some troubleshooting tips. So I removed the plastic cover under the heating plate, dis- and re-connected the wire harness and tested the fuse, which checked out for continuity. I put the cover back on, fired up the machine, and was thrilled to find the humidifier heating again. That was in the afternoon. When I relocated the machine to the bedroom that evening, no heat. (Dang!) I'm very much a DIY guy, and would like to fix this thing if at all possible. When replying, please don't assume that I know anything about software, circuit boards and the like. If parts are required, pls include part numbers and where to buy info, as well as step-by-step directions for their installation. Many thanks for your help, PW

ChicagoGranny

Re: AirSense 10 Autoset Humidifier Kaput

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:47 am

PWKopy wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:15 am
When replying, please don't assume that I know anything about software, circuit boards and the like.
Lazy man's CPAP humidifier repair kit - https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Enrichment- ... ef=sxin_14

PWKopy

Post by PWKopy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:38 am

ChicagoGranny: Certainly a possible solution! Questions: The air from the CPAP is humidified after the blower motor: A) Will the blower motor be adversely affected by pumping humid air? The CPAP also regulates itself based on the relative humidity of the room. That feature won't function if the humidifier is kaput. B) Can I effectively regulate my bedroom humidity with this machine? C) Reading negative online reviews about cleaning, white dust generated by this humidifier, etc. Not too promising.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:12 pm

PWKopy wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:38 am
C) Reading negative online reviews about cleaning, white dust generated by this humidifier, etc. Not too promising.
You know that everything on the internet has negative reviews?

Personally, I would use a traditional room humidifier with a heating plate.
PWKopy wrote:
The air from the CPAP is humidified after the blower motor
How much humidity do you intend to pump into your bedroom? CPAP machines are used without problems in tropical climates with very humid bedrooms.

PWKopy wrote:
Can I effectively regulate my bedroom humidity with this machine?
You won't know until you try. What happens now when you use your machine with the humidifier not working? There are a good many of us that have no need for humidity even during cold, dry periods. Arizona desert? --> I would use the CPAP humidifier.
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 pm

PWKopy wrote:
C) Reading negative online reviews about cleaning, white dust generated by this humidifier, etc. Not too promising.
The white dust isn't a problem, it is very fine minerals from the water.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:13 pm

When using an ultrasonic humidifier, it is advised to only use distilled water.
This eliminates the white dust and prevents fouling of the ultrasonic module.
Likewise, it is also best to use distilled water in any humidifier.
(Granny posted an image of an ultrasonic humidifier.)

PWKopy

Post by PWKopy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am

I have the right machine for my climate and humidity needs. I've used it for 5 years. Now it's broken. I'm not looking for alternatives. I'm looking for informed advice, possible diagnoses from people who know the machine, part numbers and sourcing, and step-by-step instructions for the fix. If you can't help, pls don't drag the thread in another direction. Thank you.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:54 pm

PWKopy wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am
I'm looking for informed advice
You've been putzing around for months. Informed advice says replace a 5-year old machine with a new one or a low-hours used one. Especially when,
PWKopy wrote:
please don't assume that I know anything about software, circuit boards and the like

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:58 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:12 pm
PWKopy wrote:
You know that everything on the internet has negative reviews?

Personally, I would use a traditional room humidifier with a heating plate.
PWKopy wrote:
The air from the CPAP is humidified after the blower motor
How much humidity do you intend to pump into your bedroom? CPAP machines are used without problems in tropical climates with very humid bedrooms.

PWKopy wrote:
Can I effectively regulate my bedroom humidity with this machine?
You won't know until you try. What happens now when you use your machine with the humidifier not working? There are a good many of us that have no need for humidity even during cold, dry periods. Arizona desert? --> I would use the CPAP humidifier.
Lol. Arizona desert dweller here, I don't use it much. Most of the time its on 1. Last thing I need is more heat in summer.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:14 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Arizona desert dweller here, I don't use it much. Most of the time its on 1.
That's interesting. How much fluid do you drink? Do you do anything else to keep the nasal passages moist?

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:36 pm

This is a youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDpmuF7mads but read the second comment and it will give you a part number for a fuse. Fuse link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077W92JT7. Make sure your contact points are clean.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:57 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:14 pm
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Arizona desert dweller here, I don't use it much. Most of the time its on 1.
That's interesting. How much fluid do you drink? Do you do anything else to keep the nasal passages moist?
Replied via pm.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:36 am

PWKopy wrote:
Hello all. The humidifier on my 5-year old AirSense 10 quit heating. It's been kaput for months while I've been sorting out Medicare and other issues of my recent retirement. Yesterday, I found a thread on this forum targeting the same issue with some troubleshooting tips. So I removed the plastic cover under the heating plate, dis- and re-connected the wire harness and tested the fuse, which checked out for continuity. I put the cover back on, fired up the machine, and was thrilled to find the humidifier heating again. That was in the afternoon. When I relocated the machine to the bedroom that evening, no heat. (Dang!) I'm very much a DIY guy, and would like to fix this thing if at all possible. When replying, please don't assume that I know anything about software, circuit boards and the like. If parts are required, pls include part numbers and where to buy info, as well as step-by-step directions for their installation. Many thanks for your help, PW
You stated that you checked for continuity of the fuse, do you have a multimeter? Since you took it apart once and it started working again it may be a bad connection or wire. Did you check the continuity of the heating element? If you have a meter perhaps you can check the voltage at the connection to the heating element? Of course, the machine would have to be turned on and calling for heat in order to check.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...