Buying BIPAP online- travel tips for Bipap machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oddhach49

Buying BIPAP online- travel tips for Bipap machine?

Post by oddhach49 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am

New member here.

Brief history: Originally diagnosed in 2017, advised to start Bipap 15/11, AHI 42 at the time. Picked up the machine took it home and panicked, and convinced myself I didn't need it so took it back having never tried. Fast forward to today and as expected my health has deteriorated significantly. Poor concentration, extreme exhaustion, weight gain, balance issues (stumbling and now frequent falls). I'm too tired, and afraid to get up and walk. I've had extensive workup- neurology, cardiac and everything is "normal". Thought my falls may be Parkinsons but neurologist not convinced . My oxygen levels now when awake are low 90s, sometimes upper 80s. They go up with taking deep breaths. I did see a pulmonologist and he can't explain my issues, but current theory is possible restrictive lung disease. His only offer was albuterol treatments. Long story short it seems that everything may be coming down to untreated severed OSA. Or at least, its the only thing in my medical history that has not been addressed. Per my family, I look and sound like I'm being smothered when I sleep. When I do sleep I barely get an 1hr in before I wake up. Recent sleep study, I do have mixed central and obstructive apnea ( about 1:3 ratio of central to obstructive apneas) recommended Bipap 18/13. (I don't know what my AHI was from the study)

As expected DMEs in my area all out of Bipap machines. I'm looking to buy a machine. My main issue is travel. I have several personal and work related issues that I need to tend to overseas. I have a contract job that I need to start work on but this job is located overseas in a remote area where electricity isn't readily or constantly available. I have put off starting on this job for 3 months due to waiting on seeing a sleep doctor, getting the sleep study and finally getting the prescription for the Bipap. I'm at a point where I can no longer hold out on waiting on the machine. I'm willing to buy one online, but also wondered if there are similar Mini travel Bipap equivalents to the travel mini Cpap versions I've seen online. Anyone do frequent travel with Bipap? Any tips for alternative power sources for the Bipap (Ive seen a thread here about rigging up an USB power bank, still going through that thread)

ChicagoGranny

Re: Buying BIPAP online- travel tips for Bipap machine?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:23 am

Ask yourself whether the job is more important than your health and life.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:41 am

There are no teeny tiny travel machines that are bipap/bilevel machines.
None will accomplish what your prescribed settings are.
Right now with your 18/13 settings....that's 18 inhale and 13 exhale which means a 5 cm difference and in the bilevel world that is called pressure support.
The best/closest settings available with a tiny travel machine would be with the ResMed AirMini....3 cm difference is the maximum difference available.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:27 pm

oddhach49 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am
recommended Bipap 18/13. (I don't know what my AHI was from the study)
That'll exacerbate your centrals.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

oddhach49

Post by oddhach49 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:23 am
Ask yourself whether the job is more important than your health and life.
Yes, a valid point. And one that has been explored many times. As it is currently, I'm part of the unfortunate "few" who relies on the job to provide resources that make it even possible to access, and afford, other resources that may help to improve my health/life- Bipap machines included :)
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:41 am
There are no teeny tiny travel machines that are bipap/bilevel machines.
None will accomplish what your prescribed settings are.
Right now with your 18/13 settings....that's 18 inhale and 13 exhale which means a 5 cm difference and in the bilevel world that is called pressure support.
The best/closest settings available with a tiny travel machine would be with the ResMed AirMini....3 cm difference is the maximum difference available.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. On step closer to understanding all the numbers and the reasons behind them.
palerider wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:27 pm
oddhach49 wrote:
Interesting. Can you explain how? or why? I had assumed because of history of central apnea the doc would prescribe a machine that could give a baseline breaths (or is it backup breaths?) but that is not what was prescribed. My Rx just asks for Bipap with the 18/13 setting. I unfortunately didn't educate myself enough about the different machines before my follow up appointment. I was so eager to get the Rx and start treatment so barely asked any questions.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:35 pm

oddhach49 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:27 pm
oddhach49 wrote:
Interesting. Can you explain how? or why? I had assumed because of history of central apnea the doc would prescribe a machine that could give a baseline breaths (or is it backup breaths?) but that is not what was prescribed. My Rx just asks for Bipap with the 18/13 setting. I unfortunately didn't educate myself enough about the different machines before my follow up appointment. I was so eager to get the Rx and start treatment so barely asked any questions.
*sigh*, I'll try to summarize something that's not simple.

A simple bilevel machine *will not breathe for you*, it won't switch to the higher inhale pressure unless you initiate the breath. You need a non-invasive ventilator (ST, ASV) to initiate breaths.

The respiratory cycle is driven by the buidup of CO2 in your system, if the CO2 in your system is low, then you just won't *try* to take a breath.

More ventilation, such as a high pressure support in a bilevel will increase the amount of CO2 that is blown off, and can depress the respiratory drive in people that are prone to central apneas. The higher the PS, the more likely it will cause central apnea. An ASV is the intelligent way to deal with central apnea, because it varies it's PS breath by breath as needed, not causing excess ventilation during normal operation, but will drastically increase pressure support to force air into you when you don't try to breathe on your own.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Most doctors and insurers will require you to try a bilevel machine before prescribing a more specialized machine if/when the bilevel doesn’t work. You might want to ask your doctor what the plan is.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/