Airfit P10 Extremely Noisy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
serabeth

Airfit P10 Extremely Noisy

Post by serabeth » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Hello,

I am trying to switch to a nasal mask since the full face mask often bothers me. I purchased the airfit P10 for her nasal pillows, and attempted to use it. I found that it was extremely noisy, which surprised me, because many of the reviews for it said it was extremely quiet. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I tried every adjustment I could think of. I made sure there wasn't anything blocking the vents, that the mask was dry, adjusted my headgear in several different positions and with several different tensions, and tried different size cushions.

I found the extra small cushion to be the most comfortable for me. My CPAP pressure is set between 11-16, but is almost always between 11 and 12 each night unless I have a cold. I did try larger sizes, but the fit was worse and the noise was the same. There seem to be 2 distinct noises; 1 is like wind blowing down a hollow tunnel and the other is a squeaky, high pitched noise. No amount of fiddling with the mask, tubing, etc. or waiting it out for a few minutes seemed to solve anything. Before I send them back though (they have a 30 day trial on the fit pack), I wanted to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've never used nasal pillows before, so many there is some trick to it, something that I'm missing :)? Just thought I'd ask.

LSAT

Re: Airfit P10 Extremely Noisy

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:46 am

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:16 am

serabeth wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Hello,

I am trying to switch to a nasal mask since the full face mask often bothers me. I purchased the airfit P10 for her nasal pillows, and attempted to use it. I found that it was extremely noisy, which surprised me, because many of the reviews for it said it was extremely quiet.
The P10 isn't extremely quiet, the P10 is *silent*.

If yours is making noise, something isn't right.

The only time I hear anything is when I've either got the hose laying by my ear, or it's leaking.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:17 am

I agree with palerider. The P10 is absolutely silent.

I been through 3 maybe 4, P10 masks, and many sets of pillows in various states of "newness". :)

And can't recall hearing anything from them.

P10's, because of the strap design, kind of have a love hate relationship, but the complaints are not about any noise. The consensus has always been they're silent.

Check your hose and connectors for snugness, check your humidifier is seated correctly, check your pillows are seated into the mask correctly.

If none of the above, you might have gotten a dud.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 am

Just a guess---but make sure the pillows are firmly clipped into the frame.
And turn down/off the TV.
(Are you pulling our legs?)

[I better not be smelling garlic.]

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:02 am

i agree with chunky, check that connection. i've had problems once or twice myself with that.

are you feeling any extra air blowing from anywhere? have you checked for holes in the hose?

as others have attested, the p10 should be dead quiet. if you've checked all possibilities, perhaps return it for an exchange?

keep us posted please and good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:53 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:17 am
P10's, because of the strap design, kind of have a love hate relationship,
I've been using the P30 strap for a while now, I like it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:53 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:17 am
P10's, because of the strap design, kind of have a love hate relationship,
I've been using the P30 strap for a while now, I like it.
tried that and can't get used to it. slides about too much for me.

but forum friend grumpy here suggested i use some vet tape. i've got some of that to hand; now i just need to find the strap!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

serabeth

Post by serabeth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm

Hmmm....that's really odd, because if it was a problem with the hose or humidifier etc., wouldn't my full face mask be noisy too? I have an airfit F20 that isn't 100% silent, but it's extremely quiet and I have no trouble falling asleep with the barely audible whisper like sound I hear as I breathe in and out. I felt all along the hose and couldn't find a leak, I made sure the tube was securely inside the hose and did not feel any air coming from the connection, I made sure the cushion was clipped securely in the frame, and rearranged it several times, but it still was making high pitched whistling noises.

I think even if it were silent though that the nasal pillows are not for me. I don't really like having something going up my nose. I've also been told by an ENT doctor that my nasal passages are extremely narrow, which is why maybe having pillows up my nostrils is not the best idea. I've already contacted the company I bought this from and am returning it. I'm going to try the nasal cradle thing next from respironics; forget what the name of it is. But whether this mask is a dud or I'm messing something up, I think it doesn't work for me.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm

serabeth wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm
I think even if it were silent though that the nasal pillows are not for me. I don't really like having something going up my nose.
It's academic at this point since you're returning it, but the pillows shouldn't go up your nose, they should just rest on the rim of your nostrils.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm

serabeth wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm
I don't really like having something going up my nose.

If I crammed those babies up my nostrils I would be more than whistling. :lol:
Don't do that. Let them rest gently, but firmly on the nares.

JPB

serabeth

Post by serabeth » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:47 am

Lol yeah, I didn’t mean literally up my nose XD. Just having the two individual cushions go up to my nostrils, as opposed to just having a triangular mask over the nose or something like that :P. I do think the pillows sealing at my nostrils though may have been part of the whistling problem. I even heard the whistling noise just breathing into it with my machine off and the hose unplugged.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 am

One thought about the whistling and I don't know if it will explain away your problem with the whistling even when the machine wasn't hooked up.

I have had the whistling with various nasal pillow masks over the years (not just the P10) but it has been extremely rare and the cause was always improper fit or the inner cone of the pillow got inverted.
Improper fit was usually the pillow was squished a bit and couldn't inflate completely or properly.
With the P10 I found it also occurred when I tried to use my usual XS size and it's simply a bit too small and would try to crawl up inside my nose a bit which then of course will squish the pillow. Doesn't take much squishing to cause a whistle.

The inner cone thing. Most people don't even realize there are actually 2 cones involved in the pillow construction and that the inner cone sometimes inverts and almost disappears. That inner cone isn't easy to see at all. You have to look really close down inside the top of the outside cone that goes a little bit inside the nostril (but it doesn't/shouldn't ever touch the inside of the nostril) and then see the teeny tiny top of the inner cone. If you can't see it.....it got inverted and all that we need to do to fix it is take our pinky finger and insert the end up into the inside of the pillow and push the cone back into position.

I have tried dozens and dozens of masks over the years....nasal pillow mainly but sometimes some over the nose cushions or the under the nose cushion and the P10 still ranks as the most silent of all those masks.
It really spoiled me in terms of vent noise and the darth vader noise.
P10 vent noise is non existent because the vented air is so diffuse.
Most of the time vent noise is caused by the vented air bouncing off something and lets face it...kinda hard to keep stuff away from the vent holes. We either get the bed covers too close to the vent holes or our arm or our bed pillow.
With the P10 I have to put my hand about an inch from the vent holes to even barely feel it.

The Darth Vader breathing noise is a conducted noise thing and caused by other issues that have to be addressed separately. It can happen with any mask though.

The Bleep mask, which is my usual go to mask, does have a vent noise problem without the diffuse but with the diffuser it is just as silent as the P10. I have been using the P10 the past couple of months because of wrist surgery causing me to not be able to attach the ports.

The P10 shouldn't whistle at all. If it does then something is wrong somewhere but since I can't be a fly on your wall...I can't say what is causing it in your case.

All this is of course academic discussion if you have already returned it but I mention this in case others come along and read your thread because they also have a P10 and it is making unwanted noises. Properly fitted....it is the most silent of any mask I have ever tried. The Bleep does match it but only with the added vent diffuser.
That said, not everyone will be in love with it. That's the life of all masks....always going to be lovers and haters of all masks for any number of very valid reasons.

I do wish you luck in your mask search because I know that people just have different wants and needs and preferences when it comes to masks and we just have to try a mask to see how it fulfills those wants, needs and preferences.
Sometimes we just have to kiss a lot of frogs before we find our prince and in the process we learn more about our own preferences as well.

The one new mask I haven't had a chance to try is the ResMed N30 cradle cushion under the nose mask. It supposedly has the same diffused venting system as the P10 so should be silent. You might take a look at it if you haven't already.
https://www.resmed.com/en-us/healthcare ... irfit-n30/
It's fairly new to the market but I have been so happy with the Bleep that I haven't wanted to spend money on an experiment and when I had the hand surgery that meant I had to find an easier mask to put on, I already had the P10 so I just used it.

Maybe it is time for a new experiment. Just for education and to say I tried it. :lol:
I prefer as little on my face and head as possible which means zero headgear...so I am not looking to replace the Bleep but sometimes experiments can be fun and break the boredom.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

serabeth

Post by serabeth » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 am
The one new mask I haven't had a chance to try is the ResMed N30 cradle cushion under the nose mask. It supposedly has the same diffused venting system as the P10 so should be silent. You might take a look at it if you haven't already.
It's fairly new to the market but I have been so happy with the Bleep that I haven't wanted to spend money on an experiment and when I had the hand surgery that meant I had to find an easier mask to put on, I already had the P10 so I just used it.

Maybe it is time for a new experiment. Just for education and to say I tried it. :lol:
I prefer as little on my face and head as possible which means zero headgear...so I am not looking to replace the Bleep but sometimes experiments can be fun and break the boredom.
That actually looks really nice; if the one I just bought doesn’t work out, I might try it. The Bleep looks interesting…I told my dad about it, and he wants to try it now lol. He has the wisp, which he likes but still would prefer even less on his face.

I’m still trying to find something my husband likes, too. He recently was diagnosed with a much more severe sleep disorder than I have. Basically, a regular cpap machine causes him to stop breathing (central apneas), so we had to buy him this expensive machine that is like a bipap and ventilator all in one. At any rate though, he can’t keep a mask on more than maybe 2 or 3 hours. He usually takes it off in his sleep :(. He couldn’t tolerate the nasal pillows he got with his machine, so I bought him a large mask cushion for my mask (I had an old frame still) and he uses that for now. But he can’t stand having anything on him when he sleeps, so maybe I should buy him your bleep mask.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:30 pm

serabeth wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 am

That actually looks really nice; if the one I just bought doesn’t work out, I might try it. The Bleep looks interesting…I told my dad about it, and he wants to try it now lol. He has the wisp, which he likes but still would prefer even less on his face.

I’m still trying to find something my husband likes, too. He recently was diagnosed with a much more severe sleep disorder than I have. Basically, a regular cpap machine causes him to stop breathing (central apneas), so we had to buy him this expensive machine that is like a bipap and ventilator all in one. At any rate though, he can’t keep a mask on more than maybe 2 or 3 hours. He usually takes it off in his sleep :(. He couldn’t tolerate the nasal pillows he got with his machine, so I bought him a large mask cushion for my mask (I had an old frame still) and he uses that for now. But he can’t stand having anything on him when he sleeps, so maybe I should buy him your bleep mask.
I use the Bleep as well, ever since it came out. My first 15 months on CPAP were a constant switching/buying (on my own $$)/trying out other masks (I think it ended up being maybe 15+ different masks?), trying to find one I could tolerate for more than a few weeks. One that would stay even more or less in place most of the night, slip off over the top of my head, not leak or exhaust into my eyes, leave marks for hours on my face, etc. The Bleep took care of all that for me and I've not had to try anything else. Of course, this is my experience, YMMV.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet