RI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
onward60

RI

Post by onward60 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Can someone tell me what RI of 4.7 events per hour means? Thanks. (Asking for a friend. Really!)

D.H.

Re: RI (AHI = 4.7)

Post by D.H. » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 pm

It means that – on average – you had an event every 12¾ minutes.

It does not tell you if they were evenly distributed throughout the night or of most of them happened in a small amount of time.

onward60

Re: RI

Post by onward60 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 pm

So RI is the same as RDI?

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 pm

I have never heard of just RI. I figured your friend just forgot the D. :D

Maybe someone else knows more than I?

Like more than a few on here. :lol:

JPB

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:27 pm

jimbud wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 pm
I have never heard of just RI. I figured your friend just forgot the D. :D

Maybe someone else knows more than I?

Like more than a few on here. :lol:

JPB
No, she was reading it right off her report. I asked her to spell it, and she said capital R capital I. I google that and all I get is Rhode Island. :lol:

onward60

Re: RI (AHI = 4.7)

Post by onward60 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:28 pm

D.H. wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 pm
It means that – on average – you had an event every 12¾ minutes.

It does not tell you if they were evenly distributed throughout the night or of most of them happened in a small amount of time.
I don't think it's AHI either because she and a different number for that. It's a mystery.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Was the report a home sleep study report...maybe from the ApneaLink home study

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20228025/

RI...risk indicator

What does RI mean in sleep study?
The ApneaLink software calculated: (1) risk indicator (RI)-a combination of apnea/hypopnea index (AHI) plus inspiratory flow limitation events and (2) the AHI. ApneaLink and SAHS were defined in three ways: AHI or respiratory disturbance index (RDI) >or= 5, 10 and 15 respectively.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:24 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm
Was the report a home sleep study report...maybe from the ApneaLink home study

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20228025/

RI...risk indicator

What does RI mean in sleep study?
The ApneaLink software calculated: (1) risk indicator (RI)-a combination of apnea/hypopnea index (AHI) plus inspiratory flow limitation events and (2) the AHI. ApneaLink and SAHS were defined in three ways: AHI or respiratory disturbance index (RDI) >or= 5, 10 and 15 respectively.
Yes! It was a home sleep study. The kind with the strap over the chest. You solved it! I think she said her events were only one per hour but her RI was 4.7 per hour.

I guess I need to do more googling, but now I will not get Rhode Island as my result. :D

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 am

http://www.advdiagnostic.com/uploads/7/ ... __new_.pdf

If you go to the link above and scroll down a bit you will see a sample report from the ApneaLink home sleep study report.
RI if 4.7 falls within the "normal" category and if the AHI is just 1.0 that also falls with the "normal" category.

In other words you have to compare the results from the patient with what is considered "normal" and base conclusions on multiple data points.

"Normal" AHI and RI numbers along with possibly other "normal" data points... just means doesn't meet the criteria needed to earn a diagnosis of OSA.
Now that doesn't mean that maybe there isn't some other sort of sleep disturbed breathing disorder going on but it does mean that it isn't likely OSA.
OSA is but one of several sleep disordered breathing potential issues.

What I fail to understand is how they can call this a level 3 study without actually measuring sleep status itself.
So if your friend slept little during the home study.....might not be an accurate reflection of what is going on.
See the comments section regarding limitations of the results.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 am

What I fail to understand is how they can call this a level 3 study without actually measuring sleep status itself.
So if your friend slept little during the home study.....might not be an accurate reflection of what is going on.
See the comments section regarding limitations of the results.
Since she has chronic fatigue and a family history of OSA and has been through lots of other medical hoops wth no answers, I encouraged her to go back to her sleep nurse. If the nurse wants an in-lab study, should I encourage that, also? The idea freaks her out. (The cost freaks her out, too.)

Another question, my home sleep study did not have that strap thing, so was not the same kind. Are there home studies that are better than others or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am

onward60 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am
Another question, my home sleep study did not have that strap thing, so was not the same kind. Are there home studies that are better than others or are they pretty much the same?
Yes, there are different kinds of sleep studies.
Some collect lots of data....some minimal data.
You get what you pay for.
More data...more cost.
http://freecpapadvice.com/home-sleep-tests

And I need to amend my statement. I was thinking type 3 measured sleep...and it doesn't. Type 2 measures sleep.
My bad.

The ApneaLink home study is a type 3 and we don't expect it to measure sleep....I had a brain fart.

These home studies are actually fairly accurate as long as we understand the limitations.
To my thinking measuring sleep status itself is critical data point though.

But if a type 3 sleep study showed 30 events per hour and desats to 80%....that's a clear cut positive answer.
What is not always clear cut is a negative answer when we don't know sleep status.

Your friend could just have plain old ordinary crappy sleep from any number of potential causes totally unrelated to sleep or maybe medication side effects or whatever which might be causing the fatigue.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a home sleep study as long as it was a type 2. I wouldn't waste my time or money on the type 3 or type 4 tests.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:53 pm

If costs are prohibitive, your friend could ask charitable organizations for help.
Ask medical personnel in your area for ideas of who and where.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am
onward60 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am
Yes, there are different kinds of sleep studies.
Some collect lots of data....some minimal data.
You get what you pay for.
More data...more cost.

And I need to amend my statement. I was thinking type 3 measured sleep...and it doesn't. Type 2 measures sleep.
My bad.

The ApneaLink home study is a type 3 and we don't expect it to measure sleep....I had a brain fart.

These home studies are actually fairly accurate as long as we understand the limitations.
To my thinking measuring sleep status itself is critical data point though.

But if a type 3 sleep study showed 30 events per hour and desats to 80%....that's a clear cut positive answer.
What is not always clear cut is a negative answer when we don't know sleep status.

Your friend could just have plain old ordinary crappy sleep from any number of potential causes totally unrelated to sleep or maybe medication side effects or whatever which might be causing the fatigue.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a home sleep study as long as it was a type 2. I wouldn't waste my time or money on the type 3 or type 4 tests.
So the ApneaLink is not a great test. I don't know the brand, but I see mine says type 3 also. Fortunately for me, mine showed something. Feel bad for her, if it turns out hers was useless.

Do you think there's any point in her asking for a type 2 home test? Or maybe I should nudge her toward the lab and only mention the type 2 if she flat out refuses the lab.

Last edited by onward60 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble finding a mask due to facial nerve pain. Currently trying N30 nasal cushion.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:53 pm
If costs are prohibitive, your friend could ask charitable organizations for help.
Ask medical personnel in your area for ideas of who and where.
I'm afraid she wouldn't qualify. She's just a middle class person with too many medical bills. I should ask her if she's paid her deductible for the year. If she has, she should try to do as much medical stuff as she can before January!