Provider mentioned I cant use SD card with rental Airsense 10 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
seeker

Provider mentioned I cant use SD card with rental Airsense 10 Autoset

Post by seeker » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi All,

I've newly gotten a diagnosis for sleep apnoea (AHI 6.5, RDI 11.5) and I live in Australia. I'm looking to rent a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and have found a company that will allow me to do so whilst trialling different masks. The problem is, I spoke to them on the phone and told them I would like to use an SD card to read my data through OSCAR and they said this isn't possible. They mentioned that they automatically capture data through their own Resmed software and they are able to send me the data as often as I would like.

The person on the phone wasn't aware of what OSCAR was and I'm not sure they knew you could read data from an SD card. I wonder if that is why they told me 'no' on the phone. Do you think it would be possible for me to go ahead and use my own SD card with the machine? Is it possible it would be a problem for them? Or do you think they are just saying no because they are unaware of how it works?

Would appreciate any advice around this, I would really like to see my detailed data on OSCAR to see how my nights are going. I'm not sure whether the detail they provide me would be adequate.

Thanks

Pugsy

Re: Provider mentioned I cant use SD card with rental Airsense 10 Autoset

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Go ahead and use the SD card and OSCAR.
No one will know unless you tell them.
If your machine didn't come with an SD card ...any cheap generic SD card will work. Keep the size at or below 32 GB though...OSCAR has trouble with 64 GB cards.
Anything above 2 GB is big enough but seems like those smaller cards are hard to find. I think the smallest I could find not long ago was 16GB.

Using the SD card and OSCAR doesn't affect the data transmission to the website the supplier uses at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

seeker

Post by seeker » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:22 pm
Go ahead and use the SD card and OSCAR.
No one will know unless you tell them.
If your machine didn't come with an SD card ...any cheap generic SD card will work. Keep the size at or below 32 GB though...OSCAR has trouble with 64 GB cards.
Anything above 2 GB is big enough but seems like those smaller cards are hard to find. I think the smallest I could find not long ago was 16GB.

Using the SD card and OSCAR doesn't affect the data transmission to the website the supplier uses at all.
Awesome, thanks so much for the confirmation. Really appreciate it :)

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:39 pm

seeker wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:58 pm
The person on the phone wasn't aware of what OSCAR was and I'm not sure they knew you could read data from an SD card. I wonder if that is why they told me 'no' on the phone.
I feel sure they have no idea what Oscar is and likely don't want to know.

Follow Pugsys lead and you will do fine.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

seeker

Post by seeker » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:52 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:39 pm
seeker wrote:
The person on the phone wasn't aware of what OSCAR was and I'm not sure they knew you could read data from an SD card. I wonder if that is why they told me 'no' on the phone.
I feel sure they have no idea what Oscar is and likely don't want to know.

Follow Pugsys lead and you will do fine.
Yeah definitely got the same impression, they seemed to only be aware of the Resmed software. They didn't seem to be open to me using other software. Will definitely follow Pugsy's lead on this one :)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:13 pm

When you return the RENTAL, double check to make sure
you do not leave YOUR SD card in it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:21 pm

Well.......if you really wanted to blow their minds you could start talking about using the ResScan software from ResMed and watch them freak out.
Patients aren't suppose to have access to ResScan unless the doctor writes a RX for it....but like almost everything now it can be found on the internet if you know where to look. :lol: :lol:

ResScan isn't nearly as easy to work with as OSCAR though and it's Windows only and a big bloated slow pig so we don't use it unless we have no choice and usually just to confirm or deny something weird being reported by OSCAR.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

seeker

Post by seeker » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:32 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:21 pm
Well.......if you really wanted to blow their minds you could start talking about using the ResScan software from ResMed and watch them freak out.
Patients aren't suppose to have access to ResScan unless the doctor writes a RX for it....but like almost everything now it can be found on the internet if you know where to look. :lol: :lol:

ResScan isn't nearly as easy to work with as OSCAR though and it's Windows only and a big bloated slow pig so we don't use it unless we have no choice and usually just to confirm or deny something weird being reported by OSCAR.
Haha that would be hilarious, I probably wouldn't want to risk my relationship with them though :wink:

It's unfortunate that they probably wont be of much assistance with the actual optimisation of machine settings, they weren't very open to my questions. I'll just have to learn how to use OSCAR and optimise settings myself.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 pm

seeker wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:32 pm
I'll just have to learn how to use OSCAR and optimise settings myself.
With a bit of education you can do a better job than they would anyway.
It's not rocket science. Just a bit of a learning curve but it's really mostly common sense anyway.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:12 am

A little bit of education; and a reasonable amount of motivation/self-interest.
Nobody cares more about your survival than you do.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 am

seeker wrote:

It's unfortunate that they probably wont be of much assistance with the actual optimisation of machine settings, they weren't very open to my questions. I'll just have to learn how to use OSCAR and optimise settings myself.

this is what we crusty old veterans of the forum do. and it's the reason we are still here at it.

it's a shame that MOST doctors aren't closely involved in this process. (i think chunkyfrog has a doctor interested in oscar??) it would make compliance so much easier.

so yeah, get with oscar and post charts so others can help out with the optimization. it's pretty much what we are here for!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

seeker

Post by seeker » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:48 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 am
seeker wrote:

this is what we crusty old veterans of the forum do. and it's the reason we are still here at it.

it's a shame that MOST doctors aren't closely involved in this process. (i think chunkyfrog has a doctor interested in oscar??) it would make compliance so much easier.

so yeah, get with oscar and post charts so others can help out with the optimization. it's pretty much what we are here for!
It's really great how helpful everyone here is! I'm currently working with a sleep scientist who has given me a trial with a BMC machine. He's quite knowledgeable and seems to be interested in the data, so I'm hoping he will be able to give me a good start with my settings. Unfortunately the machine isn't capable with OSCAR so I will eventually rent out a Resmed Airsense 10 and get deep into the data myself :)

Looking forward to sharing some of my charts here when I get the new machine!
Last edited by seeker on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:19 pm

seeker wrote:
The problem is, I spoke to them on the phone and told them I would like to use an SD card to read my data through OSCAR and they said this isn't possible.
Is that a verbatim quote, or a paraphrase?
They mentioned that they automatically capture data through their own Resmed software and they are able to send me the data as often as I would like.
It seem to me much more likely that they may have said that it is not possible for them to give you any support in terms of using the SD card (which as others have found is not entirely problem free when getting stared).

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Or the usual: Don't know shirt; don't want to know.
(Fingers in ears) Nanananana . . .

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Without meaning any offense to the OP's provider, this reminds me of the analogy about a dog in a kennel; the dog knows every trick taught in that kennel, and has the best of motives, but simply doesn't know that there are other tricks taught in the other kennel across town. Point made, 'nuff said.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask