Tube location

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rainmom17

Tube location

Post by Rainmom17 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am

Hi everyone, I’ve been using cpap since 2017 and it took a long time to help my fatigue, but eventually it made a big difference. However, in the past few months I’ve been having some problems with increased fatigue and also more squeaks and machine and hose sounds. I have the machine on the nightstand by my bed, and the hose drapes down into the space between nightstand and bed and then up to my full face mask. This morning before I got up, I tried moving the hose down over my head instead and I felt a substantially greater airflow in my mask. I see a lot of people do an over the headboard system. Can it make a big difference in quality of treatment to have the hose set up over the headboard rather than what I’ve been doing?
I should add my AHI is good, usually between .5-1.2.

Goofproof

Re: Tube location

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 am

What will make a difference, allowing the hose to kink or deform, don't allow the hose to do that. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:30 am

Which model FFM do you use? Which position(s) do you sleep in?

Rainmom17 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am
Can it make a big difference in quality of treatment to have the hose set up over the headboard rather than what I’ve been doing?
No.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Well, if your hose kinks or it is uncomfortable for you in other positions, lifting it could be a plus for you, allowing you to get more solid sleep. That's going to vary from one person to the next, so you might want to experiment.

I use a hose lift (aka hose stand) and really like that. I have a collapsible version that I use when I travel. At home, the Hose Buddy was very solid, though it doesn't swivel as well as it might and it's hard to arrange it so it's not on view during the day, if you care about that. I've switched to the Houdini, which swivels beautifully and can be collapsed so it hides behind a pillow during the day. Downside: it has one place where it tends to break. My husband did a nice fix for that, but be aware it could be a problem.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:35 pm

A good way to manage the hose is to run it straight from the machine, lying on your pillow above the top of your skull, and then, still lying on the pillow, down the opposite side of your head to the mask. (With masks that have the hose attachment on the top of the head, this doesn't work.)
hose routing.jpeg
hose routing.jpeg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Hose hangers are popular with some CPAPers. But, you need to think about how to travel with them.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Some people like routing the hose upwards and over the face/head with some sort of hose management system....some people don't care for it.

Personal preference and another one of the YMMV stickers that comes with everything cpap related.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.