Avoiding Internet Connectivity in APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GoatGirlA

Avoiding Internet Connectivity in APAP

Post by GoatGirlA » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:31 am

I live with a Software and Network Architect security expert, and understand that there is no legitimate way to have these machines using modems safely if we care about privacy and security. I do not live in range of a cell tower in NY. I do not want this or any other random internet of things connectivity in my house beyond the actual computers and printer and their necessary associated hardware on the WiFi. I do not want any bluetooth connection ever. Last time I bought an APAP machine, these "features" had not yet become endemic. The websites for shopping for these are very poorly made for this sort of need, and not remotely clear about which devices either do not have any sort of internet connectivity or cell communication features, etc, or which can be used with all of that fully disabled permanently without even a single connection to those servers. Now, thanks to recalls, I have to figure this out if I don't want to wait forever on an inadequate recall replacement process.

So, question is, in your experience, what APAP machines are available now that either lack all remote connectivity beyond the ability to carry a card someplace else like a doctor's office, or can have that connectivity fully and permanently disabled without a single connection to any remote server? Thank you for your help, and for not arguing with me about not wanting to be part of the internet of things.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Avoiding Internet Connectivity in APAP

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Buy a used one off of Craigslist. When 'they' come to get you, 'they' will get the original owner in whose name the machine was registered.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Resmed AS10s have an Airplane Mode which can be switched on in the menu.

From the manual:

"Wireless
Your AirSense 10 device is equipped with cellular communication. This allows your therapy data to
be wirelessly transmitted to your care provider to enhance the quality of your treatment. It also
allows therapy settings to be updated in a more timely manner or your device software to be
upgraded. The Wireless signal strength icon displayed at the top right of your screen indicates
the signal strength. The data is usually transmitted after therapy has stopped. In order to make sure that your data is
transferred, leave your device connected to the power outlet at all times and make sure that it is not
in Airplane Mode.

Notes:
• Therapy data might not be transmitted if you use it outside of the country or region of purchase.
• Devices with cellular communication might not be available in all regions. Please be aware that within the wireless network, the availability and quality of the network may be
affected by terrain, buildings, and the weather. Wireless communication depends on network availability. Coverage is not available everywhere and varies by service."

Using Airplane Mode and/or unplugging the unit when not in use are ways to prevent transmission of data.

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:22 pm

So the easy fix is to put the machine in airplane mode, right. On by ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, there is a setting under My Options (near the bottom of the list of choices) without going to the clinical manual. Will that help the OP?
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:29 pm

GoatGirlA wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:31 am
Thank you for your help, and for not arguing with me about not wanting to be part of the internet of things.
I can assure you, nobody really cares whether you want your CPAP connected or not.

Regarding the ResMed Air 10's:
You can put them them in Airplane mode through the menus, or if you're interested in a semi-permanent solution, it's trivial to open them up and pull the modem connector. This way it can't accidentally be connected through the menus or a software reset.

But,...
GoatGirlA wrote:
I live with a Software and Network Architect security expert, and understand that there is no legitimate way to have these machines using modems safely if we care about privacy and security.
These statements need to be challenged.

Unless you, or your housemate, can state specifically why they can't safely be connected, it's meaningless. You just don't get to make these general sweeping statements and expect to have any credibility. And yes, I accept that you didn't come here to argue. So consider me challenging this statement, not targeted at you, but for the benefit of others who might come across this topic. They should know that such a claim, needs more support than simply, My roommate who is a security expert says these are unsecure.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:51 pm

GoatGirlA wrote:
I live with a Software and Network Architect security expert, and understand that there is no legitimate way to have these machines using modems safely if we care about privacy and security. .... Thank you for your help, and for not arguing with me about not wanting to be part of the internet of things.
Whoever you live with, (and you, and everybody else) should be aware that these devices are not "on the internet", thus, they aren't part of the "internet of things".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:58 pm

ummm, not to be "THAT GUY", but op never mentions the brand name of the cpap.

or did philips never have the option of wireless transmission?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:17 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:58 pm

They did. though like the S9 cell modem, it's a plugin module.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm

zonker wrote:

No, she doesn't she's asking for suggestions of devices that meet her requirements of No Connectivity.

Air 10 devices can meet her requirement either by setting AirPlane mode, or opening it up and disconnecting modem.

The fact that she doesn't mention a device, but is claiming that *any* connected device is inherently insecure makes the statement even more absurd.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:41 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:17 pm
zonker wrote:

They did. though like the S9 cell modem, it's a plugin module.
oh, okay. thanks for that.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:42 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm
zonker wrote:

No, she doesn't she's asking for suggestions of devices that meet her requirements of No Connectivity.

Air 10 devices can meet her requirement either by setting AirPlane mode, or opening it up and disconnecting modem.

The fact that she doesn't mention a device, but is claiming that *any* connected device is inherently insecure makes the statement even more absurd.
you are correct, sir.

i really need to read these things more carefully.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Hmmm, goat girl only has ONE post . . .
Think of that as you will.
To fully address the paranoia of her . . . whatever,
they should set up residence in Amish country.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marc K

Post by Marc K » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:35 am

GoatGirlA wrote:
I live with a Software and Network Architect security expert, and understand that there is no legitimate way to have these machines using modems safely if we care about privacy and security. I do not live in range of a cell tower in NY. .....................................................
Hello to All,

I am new here but would like to comment that my Resmed Airsense 10 Auto uses an internal cell modem to broadcast the reports. If you are out of cell tower range, it cannot communicate. It does not connect to your local network.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:05 am

Marc K wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:35 am
GoatGirlA wrote:
I live with a Software and Network Architect security expert, and understand that there is no legitimate way to have these machines using modems safely if we care about privacy and security. I do not live in range of a cell tower in NY. .....................................................
Hello to All,

I am new here but would like to comment that my Resmed Airsense 10 Auto uses an internal cell modem to broadcast the reports. If you are out of cell tower range, it cannot communicate. It does not connect to your local network.

Permanently disabling the transponder in the Airsense 10 is possible.
There are videos/instructions to that effect.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:40 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:57 pm
Hmmm, goat girl only has ONE post . . .
Think of that as you will.
To fully address the paranoia of her . . . whatever,
they should set up residence in Amish country.
Also in a cave or under ground, with the house inside a Faraday cage, running on D.C. power only, no grid hookup, in a lead lined house, could be useful also. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire