pillow vs cradle

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
onward60

pillow vs cradle

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:31 am

I'm doing a lot of reading and have come across something I don't understand. How is a cradle different from a pillow, especially in where it puts pressure and how it would affect the teeth? Thanks

Julie

Re: pillow vs cradle

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 am

Cradle?

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:20 am

Pillow masks (P10/ Nuance Pro) shouldn't put pressure on your teeth. They pull/push up against the nares.

Nasal (cradle) masks can press somewhat against the upper gums depending on the mask.

For example, SleepWeaver 3D leaves a light horizontal mark across my philtrum in the morning.
Last edited by GrumpyHere on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

ups4

Post by ups4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:25 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 am
Cradle?
I have seen a lot of people refer to ResMed N30i, for example, as a "cradle" mask. It "cradles" the nose rather than the prongs going into the nostrils.

To the OP, nasal pillows masks generally have prongs that go just outside of the nostrils and inflate with pressure. A nasal "cradle" mask does not enter the nostrils and the pressure inflates the cushion to seal around your nose. These are usually a hybrid nasal mask as opposed to a regular nasal mask that would cover the entire nose.
Is this what you're asking?

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks, just never heard the term before.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:33 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:13 am
Under the nose nasal cushion vs the traditional over the nose cushion.
Actually not all that new of a term. Back when I started cpap in 2009 there were 2 nasal masks that offered both pillows and under the nose cushions and they were actually called "cradle cushion". The Opti Life was one and I forget the other one.
Not hugely popular back then so they sort of died off until Respironics brought it back first with the DreamWear under the nose nasal cushion mask and now ResMed offers it as well. Getting more popular now because they are a huge improvement over what was available years ago. That old OptiLife cradle cushion was beyond stiff and horribly uncomfortable. Not so with this next generation of under the nose "cradle" cushion masks. These now use super soft silicone and seal remarkably well and just more comfortable in general.

Called cradle cushion because it "cradles" under the nostrils.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:04 am

Your stuff should be sealed and saved for posterity - how do you keep so much in your head! :lol:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:54 pm

Julie wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:04 am
Your stuff should be sealed and saved for posterity - how do you keep so much in your head! :lol:
:lol: :lol: yeah...but ask me what I had for lunch yesterday and see what happens. :lol: :lol:

My very first mask used during the titration sleep study was the OptiLife nasal pillows. Came home with it.
So I did get a chance to try the cradle cushion version once I realized it was available...that's how come I remember it. Horrid little mask. :lol: :lol: Headgear totally sucked was primary problem for me.
Quickly replaced with the ResMed Swift LT nasal pillow back then because that was the latest and greatest in 2009.
Then in 2010 came the Swift FX nasal pillow...and the rest that followed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm

ups4 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:25 am
Julie wrote:
Cradle?
I have seen a lot of people refer to ResMed N30i, for example, as a "cradle" mask. It "cradles" the nose rather than the prongs going into the nostrils.

To the OP, nasal pillows masks generally have prongs that go just outside of the nostrils and inflate with pressure. A nasal "cradle" mask does not enter the nostrils and the pressure inflates the cushion to seal around your nose. These are usually a hybrid nasal mask as opposed to a regular nasal mask that would cover the entire nose.
Is this what you're asking?
Yes, I do think that might have been what the post meant by cradle.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:26 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:33 am
Julie wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:13 am
Under the nose nasal cushion vs the traditional over the nose cushion.
Actually not all that new of a term. Back when I started cpap in 2009 there were 2 nasal masks that offered both pillows and under the nose cushions and they were actually called "cradle cushion". The Opti Life was one and I forget the other one.
Not hugely popular back then so they sort of died off until Respironics brought it back first with the DreamWear under the nose nasal cushion mask and now ResMed offers it as well. Getting more popular now because they are a huge improvement over what was available years ago. That old OptiLife cradle cushion was beyond stiff and horribly uncomfortable. Not so with this next generation of under the nose "cradle" cushion masks. These now use super soft silicone and seal remarkably well and just more comfortable in general.

Called cradle cushion because it "cradles" under the nostrils.
So would a cradle style avoid putting pressure on the gums? I have a spot that just kills me with a regular nasal mask. I think the tooth's root is super sensitive. It kept me from wearing an MAD, too. My dentist suggested orthodontia for it quite awhile back but I can't imagine how I would swing that.

ups4

Post by ups4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 pm

I use the N30i nasal cradle mask and don’t notice any pressure on my gums whatsoever.
The key would be having it properly adjusted.

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:07 pm

ups4 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 pm
I use the N30i nasal cradle mask and don’t notice any pressure on my gums whatsoever.
The key would be having it properly adjusted.
Thank you. That is good to know.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:51 pm

ups4 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:25 am
Julie wrote:
Cradle?
People refer to the N30i, and N20 as cradle masks, because that's what ResMed calls them.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apne ... rfit-n30i/
https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apne ... irfit-n30/

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Image this would be a example of a cradle mask.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:32 pm

The cradle style masks are very soft and don't put pressure on the upper lip and gums unless you tighten them too much. I use the Dreamwear and that one would put pressure on the nose, not the upper lip and gums if tightened too much (the Miss Piggy nose squish). It was a little hard to wear when I broke my nose, because pressure up against my nose hurt.

One thing I didn't like about the nasal pillow masks is that they tended to collect some condensation (at the time I didn't have a heated humidifier because of a manufacturer's defect on the old PRS1 machines) and I always hated that doggy with a wet nose feeling. That doesn't happen with the cradle mask at all.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm