have tried so many masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: have tried so many masks

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:46 am

tlohse wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:21 pm
as long as insurance and the DME and your doctor allows it.
Wrong!

KrisCrossed

Post by KrisCrossed » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:24 pm

I told him about the mask and the dental appliance both giving me tooth pain.
I used to wear a nightguard every night because I clenched my teeth at night. I found I would have discomfort in my teeth for several hours in the morning--the clenching puts pressure on the nightguard & pushes them forward. If this is possibly what's happening for you, you might find that a successful night with CPAP might stop clenching/grinding. This was true for me. (During a poor night of CPAP I will still get up and use the nightguard.)

I've read that clenching during sleep helps open the back of the throat in response to apneas. Googling 'clenching sleep apnea' will bring up lots of articles written by dentists & health agencies. Here's one to a published paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14592147/ "Sleep bruxism related to obstructive sleep apnea: the effect of continuous positive airway pressure" and they write:
Several studies have reported that sleep bruxism rarely occurs in isolation. Recently, in an epidemiological study of sleep bruxism and risk factors in the general population, it was found that among the associated sleep symptoms and disorders obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) was the highest risk factor for tooth grinding during sleep.
Were you able to bring home the Dreamwear nasal mask that was recommended? I've tried this one and it primarily puts pressure on the underside of my nose--although if it were adjusted too tightly it might rest harder on my upper lip. A previous post had a link to their page that I'm reposting here: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-fit-pack
Airsense 11 Autoset
AirTouch F20 Full Face Mask
Northern California

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:59 pm

tlohse wrote:
as long as insurance and the DME and your doctor allows it
If I want to try a mask, I buy it and try it. I have never discussed my mask choice with the sleep clinic. If I see a new mask on the market that looks interesting, I buy it from the forum sponsor, cpap.com. If I like the mask, I keep it. If not, I use their free return insurance and get a refund. There have been some masks I could not make up my mind about, and I kept them too long to send back. If that happened, and I finally decided it wasn't better than what I was currently using, I would pass the mask on to someone else to try.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:08 pm

tlohse wrote:
I don't really know that much about masks as I have only had the Resmed Mirage FX Nasal and Airfit P10. I will be going for a new mask on Tuesday November 2nd Im not sure what kind Ill get next but I do know finding the perfect mask is a trial and error process that can take many turns as long as insurance and the DME and your doctor allows it.
Yeah, I need to press on. My insurance is not being very helpful, though.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:16 pm

KrisCrossed wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:24 pm
I told him about the mask and the dental appliance both giving me tooth pain.
I used to wear a nightguard every night because I clenched my teeth at night. I found I would have discomfort in my teeth for several hours in the morning--the clenching puts pressure on the nightguard & pushes them forward. If this is possibly what's happening for you, you might find that a successful night with CPAP might stop clenching/grinding. This was true for me. (During a poor night of CPAP I will still get up and use the nightguard.)

I've read that clenching during sleep helps open the back of the throat in response to apneas. Googling 'clenching sleep apnea' will bring up lots of articles written by dentists & health agencies. Here's one to a published paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14592147/ "Sleep bruxism related to obstructive sleep apnea: the effect of continuous positive airway pressure" and they write:
Several studies have reported that sleep bruxism rarely occurs in isolation. Recently, in an epidemiological study of sleep bruxism and risk factors in the general population, it was found that among the associated sleep symptoms and disorders obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) was the highest risk factor for tooth grinding during sleep.
Were you able to bring home the Dreamwear nasal mask that was recommended? I've tried this one and it primarily puts pressure on the underside of my nose--although if it were adjusted too tightly it might rest harder on my upper lip. A previous post had a link to their page that I'm reposting here: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-fit-pack
I'm not actually sure what masks I brought home. I think they are resmed nasal pillow-type. One of them does have the hose on the top of the head. I put the bag down and didn't pick it up again. I don't even want to look at it, let alone try to figure anything out. I know I have used up my 3-month trial with no hope of passing, so will have to turn my machine in soon. My house is chaos because I am getting ready to move in a few weeks. I thought I would move, get settled, and then ask my doctor to start me over again even if it means a new sleep study. I hope this is a good plan.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:19 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:46 am
tlohse wrote:
as long as insurance and the DME and your doctor allows it.
Wrong!
What part is wrong?

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:59 pm
tlohse wrote:
as long as insurance and the DME and your doctor allows it
If I want to try a mask, I buy it and try it. I have never discussed my mask choice with the sleep clinic. If I see a new mask on the market that looks interesting, I buy it from the forum sponsor, cpap.com. If I like the mask, I keep it. If not, I use their free return insurance and get a refund. There have been some masks I could not make up my mind about, and I kept them too long to send back. If that happened, and I finally decided it wasn't better than what I was currently using, I would pass the mask on to someone else to try.
I wish I could but I am at the end of my financial rope right now.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:14 pm

onward60 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:19 pm
What part is wrong?
You have a prescription. You can try as many masks as you can afford. But then there is the end of your financial rope. :cry:

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:21 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:14 pm
onward60 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:19 pm
What part is wrong?
You have a prescription. You can try as many masks as you can afford. But then there is the end of your financial rope. :cry:
I see. Thank you.