CPAP BATTERIES

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RichSleepWell!!

CPAP BATTERIES

Post by RichSleepWell!! » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am

I"m going to be traveling to isolated areas in Africa that will not have electricity at night. I'm currently using a Philips RESPIRONICS REMstar Pro. Question: Is their a machine that is better to use with batteries and are there batteries that are easy to charge and provide a reasonable useable length of time?

RocketBeaglesSam

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by RocketBeaglesSam » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm

I had a CPAP machine go crazy and then kaput that was on a battery back up. Tech support said using a UPS with their machine was a no no. I think it is because most inverters produce almost square waves instead of a pure sine wave. The machine was a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto. That said, my replacement machine which is also a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto has been on a battery backup and I use it on batteries while camping with out any further issues.

For battery I use a Greenworks 288Wh 80V battery. Greenworks also makes a power inverter to go with that battery. It will last me at least two nights. It's big, its heavy, and the charger is not small either. You might want to look into one of the smaller medical batteries on a place like cpap.com and a solar setup to charge it. If you are going to be flying, there are restrictions on how large of a battery you can bring on board. Keep an eye out for that also.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:47 pm

RocketBeaglesSam wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm
I had a CPAP machine go crazy and then kaput that was on a battery back up. Tech support said using a UPS with their machine was a no no. I think it is because most inverters produce almost square waves instead of a pure sine wave.
Modern (made in the last 11 years) CPAPsdo not care about modified sine wave power, they have the same kind of power supplies that the computers you use the UPSs on have, the first thing they do is turn that modified square wave into DC anyway.
RocketBeaglesSam wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm
The machine was a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto. That said, my replacement machine which is also a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto has been on a battery backup and I use it on batteries while camping with out any further issues.
That says nothing about what machine is is, since Respironics slapped "remstar" on everything up till the dreamstations came along.

Using any sort of inverter will drastically decrease the runtime, because they're not very efficient.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:20 pm

RichSleepWell!! wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am
I"m going to be traveling to isolated areas in Africa that will not have electricity at night. I'm currently using a Philips RESPIRONICS REMstar Pro. Question: Is their a machine that is better to use with batteries and are there batteries that are easy to charge and provide a reasonable useable length of time?
We'd need to know which "remstar pro" machine you're talking about.

look on the bottom for a model or REF number and tell us what it is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lcunningham8332

Post by lcunningham8332 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm

I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto. This is the first cpap ive had that i couldnt run on a regular cpap battery. I have NO IDEA what i need to buy for a battery backup as we lose the power often in the winter, in my area. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to look for? Name, link etc.. i have absolutly no clue, and am being managed by my Family Practice Dr and not a sleep company.
Thanks for you your help~! :D

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:22 pm

lcunningham8332 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm
I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto. This is the first cpap ive had that i couldnt run on a regular cpap battery. I have NO IDEA what i need to buy for a battery backup as we lose the power often in the winter, in my area. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to look for? Name, link etc.. i have absolutly no clue, and am being managed by my Family Practice Dr and not a sleep company.
Here is the F&P battery guide - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +Guide.pdf

You want a mobility scooter battery, not a marine battery.

lcunningham8332

Post by lcunningham8332 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:22 pm
lcunningham8332 wrote:
Here is the F&P battery guide - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +Guide.pdf

You want a mobility scooter battery, not a marine battery.
Thanks, i have seen that info before, but I dont know how to decipher it. I dont understand what that means.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:53 pm

What part is the problem?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:17 am

lcunningham8332 wrote:
I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto.
Please specify the model number. There are at least three different models. In fact, you should put the machine name and model number and mask model in the signature field of your profile. It will then show with each of your posts and comments.
lcunningham8332 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:40 pm
i have seen that info before, but I dont know how to decipher it. I dont understand what that means.
How many nights must the battery last? Will you have an opportunity to charge it during the day?

Is it correct that you will only be using it at home where size/weight are not as big a factor as when using a battery for certain kinds of travel?

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 am

I just bought a GOLABS 60W portable power station
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08NSY ... UTF8&psc=1

I used it last night with my Resmed AirMini and it worked very well. I used less than 30% of the battery power last night, so I should be able to get 3 nights sleep on one battery charge, not bad.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:09 am

mowog73 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 am

I used less than 30% of the battery power last night, so I should be able to get 3 nights sleep on one battery charge, not bad.
For battery longevity, it’s better not to cycle that deeply.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

amenite

Post by amenite » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:22 pm

That's a LiFePO4 lithium battery. It's probably more tolerant of deep discharge. It would probably still outlast most of us if occasionally discharged to 0%

Edit: also holds a charge on the shelf better than other types. A nice feature.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:47 pm

so, on amazon.com, this unit is $199.00 and then can deduct $70 with coupon.

(prices american, of course.)

so, folk who know batteries, is this something a total battery ignoramus like me could/should buy?

https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Portable- ... 247&sr=8-5
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:47 pm
so, on amazon.com, this unit is $199.00 and then can deduct $70 with coupon.

(prices american, of course.)

so, folk who know batteries, is this something a total battery ignoramus like me could/should buy?

https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Portable- ... 247&sr=8-5
I use about 80 watt hours per night, so It wouldn't last me three days. Seems easy enough to use, though.

What kind of cable plugs into those 12v outputs? You'd need something that would plug in there and have a cigarette/accessory plug on the other end so the Resmed converter would plug into it.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm

I use about 80 watt hours per night, so It wouldn't last me three days. Seems easy enough to use, though.

What kind of cable plugs into those 12v outputs? You'd need something that would plug in there and have a cigarette/accessory plug on the other end so the Resmed converter would plug into it.
oh. i'm not looking for any kind of camping with the unit. just a backup should the power go out here.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg