Questions from a bearded newbie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ScottLaG

Questions from a bearded newbie

Post by ScottLaG » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:53 am

I just got my machine this week, have used it three nights and have questions I hope ya'll can help me with.

Machine is an AirSense11 w/humidifier. Mask is DreamWear Full Face.

I can't get a good seal on the mask. I'm a mouth breather so need the full face mask. I toss and turn at night and spend most of my time on my side. I also have a beard. In the three nights I've used the machine (only one of which was for a full night's sleep) the myAir app shows a very bad mask seal, but fewer than 4 events per hour. (I had over 20 per hour in my sleep study) My question is how important is the mask seal if the machine is reducing the events to an acceptable number? Also what's the trick for getting a good mask seal with a beard?

Thanks for any input.

Mask: AirFit F20

ChicagoGranny

Re: Questions from a bearded newbie

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 am

ScottLaG wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:53 am
the myAir app shows a very bad mask seal, but fewer than 4 events per hour.
At high leak levels, a person could be having apneas that the machine is unable to detect.

Please put your mask and machine model in the signature section of your profile.

ups4

Post by ups4 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:42 am

I have a full beard and have found the hybrid nasal mask AirFit N30i works very well for me. That being said, I don't have the mouth breathing issue.

A full face mask is hard enough to get a good seal due to the amount of area that needs to seal. Even worse if you have a beard.
You might try using a nasal or nasal pillow style mask in conjunction with a chinstrap to help with the open mouth. One of the most difficult issues starting out is getting the best mask style and fit for you personally. Trial and error is the only way I've found.

I would suggest that you download the comprehensive, free program called OSCAR to track your sleep therapy. myAir is nothing more than a report card to offer daily encouragement and isn't intended to give you the details needed to dial in your therapy. Also, unless the leaks are excessive...more than 24L/min...and they don't cause you to wake up, then don't worry too much about them.

Take a look at the "Newbies" sticky at the top of the forum for some good information to help get you started.

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:52 am

If he is getting a frowny face on Mask Seal, it means that 30% or more of the sleep session has leaks in excess of 24L/min.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:51 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 am
ScottLaG wrote:
the myAir app shows a very bad mask seal, but fewer than 4 events per hour.
At high leak levels, a person could be having apneas that the machine is unable to detect.
More specifically, at high leak levels, the machine won't be able to *differentiate* what kind of apnea you're having, it can still detect the absence of breath flow changes.

At really high leak levels, the machine won't be able to compensate for the leak, and won't be able to maintain desired pressure.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ScottLaG

Post by ScottLaG » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:55 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 am
ScottLaG wrote:

Please put your mask and machine model in the signature section of your profile.
I didn't think about the high leak levels affecting the detectability of events. Thanks

I can't put my models in my profile because the AirSense11 is not available in the Select Machine drop down and it won't let me just but in the mask type. Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm

ScottLaG wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:55 pm
I can't put my models in my profile because the AirSense11 is not available in the Select Machine drop down and it won't let me just but in the mask type.
Use your signature line like I have mine

See this thread

https://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t181 ... ryone.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bierhere

Post by bierhere » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:54 pm

I shave at night so that the mask will get a better seal. I couldn't figure how people with beards can make a full facemask work.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Some do; some never do.
You will know which you have soon enough.
Remember, a lush beard cannot compensate for the side effects of untreated apnea.
(Lack of sleep, weight gain, heart problems, and--gasp!-- ED)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:56 am

Facial hair is a complete non-issue with me. However, I wear a nasal mask. Note sure about a FF mask.

SeekSleep

Post by SeekSleep » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:49 pm

As someone who has a beard more often than not, and a mouth breather, leaks tend to be the biggest issue I have with my CPAP therapy. Making things worse, I need an ASV machine due to centrals, and I need fairly high pressure 20plus if I roll over on my back to handle my obstructive apnea's in that position. You have to learn to position your pillow just right, and train your body not to move about much when you sleep on your side with a full face mask or they tend to start leaking, often waking you up. About 2 weeks into intially having the machine, I got annoyed about 2am and shaved my beard off in the hopes stopping the leaks and getting some sleep. I think the wife thought someone had snuck in during the night as it was the first time she ever saw me without it. It did help, but once I got used to how to adjust the mask just right, get the right pillow, and train my body I was able to let the beard grow back, and my leak rate is generally acceptable.

Unfortunately, I just got a new machine, and switched to a different DME. During this switch, I was informed that ResMed had just decided to discontinue the Mirage Quattro mask I've had good luck with. I switched to an F20, initially trying the memory foam seal version which they said might work better with the beard. It didn't cut it but I am getting fairly good results with the Silicone version even with the beard. Leaks for me are just a battle I think I'm destined to endure.

ScottLaG

Post by ScottLaG » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:00 am

SeekSleep wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:49 pm
As someone who has a beard more often than not, and a mouth breather, leaks tend to be the biggest issue I have with my CPAP therapy. Making things worse, I need an ASV machine due to centrals, and I need fairly high pressure 20plus if I roll over on my back to handle my obstructive apnea's in that position. You have to learn to position your pillow just right, and train your body not to move about much when you sleep on your side with a full face mask or they tend to start leaking, often waking you up. About 2 weeks into intially having the machine, I got annoyed about 2am and shaved my beard off in the hopes stopping the leaks and getting some sleep. I think the wife thought someone had snuck in during the night as it was the first time she ever saw me without it. It did help, but once I got used to how to adjust the mask just right, get the right pillow, and train my body I was able to let the beard grow back, and my leak rate is generally acceptable.

Unfortunately, I just got a new machine, and switched to a different DME. During this switch, I was informed that ResMed had just decided to discontinue the Mirage Quattro mask I've had good luck with. I switched to an F20, initially trying the memory foam seal version which they said might work better with the beard. It didn't cut it but I am getting fairly good results with the Silicone version even with the beard. Leaks for me are just a battle I think I'm destined to endure.
I just switched to the AirFit F20 silicone version and am hopeful it works better. The first night was not too good. Will have to work on proper adjustment of the mask and my sleeping position.

CyberSpiff

Post by CyberSpiff » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 am

ScottLaG wrote:
I just got my machine this week, have used it three nights and have questions I hope ya'll can help me with.

Machine is an AirSense11 w/humidifier. Mask is DreamWear Full Face.

I can't get a good seal on the mask. I'm a mouth breather so need the full face mask. I toss and turn at night and spend most of my time on my side. I also have a beard. In the three nights I've used the machine (only one of which was for a full night's sleep) the myAir app shows a very bad mask seal, but fewer than 4 events per hour. (I had over 20 per hour in my sleep study) My question is how important is the mask seal if the machine is reducing the events to an acceptable number? Also what's the trick for getting a good mask seal with a beard?

Thanks for any input.
I fought the full-face mask vs big beard sealing problem issues for a few weeks. I ended up shaving only keeping a mustache and goatee, and never had sealing problems again. You can find ways to make it work, but in the end they may not deliver comfortable or optimal therapy. Nasal pillows could be used with something to help keep your mouth closed, but that is a decision only you can make.
There is no right or wrong side of the road. There is only the road.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:09 am

Sometimes, the beard has got to go.
Consider why it is being kept..
One can grow beyond the vanity.
Remember, covering an extra chin cannot make it gone--
And everybody knows it is there.
Above all, living longer and better beats looking nice at your funeral.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:37 am

I have a full beard.

I have been able to wear any mask I have tried.
Full Face will leak some through the beard, just keep the leaks under large leak territory.
Leaks that wake you up must be controlled.
A mask liner helped me somewhat.

I currently use the P10 and the Bleep masks, with a gag-less contraption across my mouth because I am a part time mouth breather.

Almost three years and no big deal. I sleep.

It is possible. YMMV. :)

JPB

The beard has been a part of me for almost fifty years. :D