Too many events per hour

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
moosie

Too many events per hour

Post by moosie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm

I have worn a full c pap mask using a Resmed for almost 3 years. I usually have maybe around 4 events per hour. Suddenly when I goy my new replacement mask and tubing my events have gone up to about 24 events per hour. I have changed all the parts again but the same readings are a little better but around 14 events per hour. What could be the cure? Need your advise. Could it be the Resmed gone bad?

Miss Emerita

Re: Too many events per hour

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 pm

Moose, it’d be great if you could use the Oscar software and post a chart. That would give us something to go on. Do you have a desktop or laptop?

In a previous thread you mentioned you were using a ResMed ASV. Is that still your machine? Do you know what the breakdown is for your events? (Central apnea, obstructive apnea, hypopnea?)
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

moosie

Post by moosie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:40 pm

I have a laptop computer. I still use the sane Resmed RSV. Not familiar what Oscar Chart is. Doctor never mentioned what type of apnea I have. He said it was severe apnea and needed to wear a full face mask. I have always had good readings for about 2 1/2 years. I was always almost 99-100% and Episodes were around 3-5 events per hour.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Because you're using an ASV, I'm going to guess that your severe apnea was central or mixed. I lean toward saying even an Oscar chart wouldn't put us in a position to evaluate your situation and make recommendations, though maybe one of the experts will weigh in with a different take.

It's pretty unlikely that a 3-year-old machine would malfunction in such a way as to raise your AHI. So I suspect your settings need adjustment, and I think it'd be best if your doctor worked with you on that.

Just FYI, Oscar is the name of software (see link below) that can translate the data on your machine's SD card into information-packed charts. Let us know if you're interested in using Oscar. But as I say, I'd recommend that you work with your doctor (sleep doc, neurologist, pulmonologist -- whomever you've seen for your apnea).
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

moosie

Post by moosie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:02 pm

The doctor adjusted the settings and it did not help so he put it back to the original settings. Now he is having 14 events per hour. Hr suggested to wait 3 months and if it doesn't get any better to get another sleep study. Not really anxious to go to the hospital overnight to do the study with Covid running rampant in Florida.He also suggested to have MED CARE (our medical insurance provider)come to check the machine.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:48 am

moosie wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:40 pm
I have a laptop computer. I still use the sane Resmed RSV. Not familiar what Oscar Chart is. Doctor never mentioned what type of apnea I have. He said it was severe apnea and needed to wear a full face mask. I have always had good readings for about 2 1/2 years. I was always almost 99-100% and Episodes were around 3-5 events per hour.
Oscar is a software program which receives data from your Resmed (via SD card) and displays it graphically. It allows you to see in great detail exactly what's happening with your therapy. If you provide a daily chart from Oscar we may be able to give some specific advice about your treatment.

Download Oscar: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
Oscar Help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... OSCAR_Help
Organise your Oscar charts: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... ganization

Please organise your charts as shown in the instructions linked above.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

moosie

Post by moosie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:26 pm

MED CARE(this is our insurance company that supplies medical equipment) finally arrived at our condo and checkout the machine. He said there was water in the hose and in the mask. He said the humidity was up to high. He lowered the humidity from 8 to 4. He said to hang the hose so it will dry and to dry the mask. He erased all the data and said ever thing looks good. He said if the events still are high to call back and may replace the unit.
Will let you know if it is still having too many events per hour.