Resmed Airsense 11 - AC/DC adapter?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cliffracer

Resmed Airsense 11 - AC/DC adapter?

Post by cliffracer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:50 am

I recently picked up my new airsense 11 after my 10 broke. All was well until I realized we had a camping trip coming up and my Airsense 10 DC adapter was not compatable. After digging around a bit I noticed that the Air Mini did have a DC adapter..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G8PF8KK

looking closely at the power port, the Mini matches the adapter of the Airsense 11. A quick gander at the Airsense 11 manual says that the AC power adapter is 65w, the same as the Air Mini DC adapter.

My question is, do you guys think that this Air Mini DC power adapter would work on the 11? I called Resmed and the guy I spoke to said it 'probably' would not be compatable. My concern is that the 11 is so new that their staff may not be able to confidently answer the question. If the power port and the wattage are the same, it stands to reason that it would work.

klm49

Re: Resmed Airsense 11 - AC/DC adapter?

Post by klm49 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:50 am

cliffracer wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:50 am
I recently picked up my new airsense 11 after my 10 broke. All was well until I realized we had a camping trip coming up and my Airsense 10 DC adapter was not compatable. After digging around a bit I noticed that the Air Mini did have a DC adapter..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G8PF8KK

looking closely at the power port, the Mini matches the adapter of the Airsense 11. A quick gander at the Airsense 11 manual says that the AC power adapter is 65w, the same as the Air Mini DC adapter.

My question is, do you guys think that this Air Mini DC power adapter would work on the 11? I called Resmed and the guy I spoke to said it 'probably' would not be compatable. My concern is that the 11 is so new that their staff may not be able to confidently answer the question. If the power port and the wattage are the same, it stands to reason that it would work.

Sad companies resort to these kinds of tactics to squeeze money from patients.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

cliffracer

Post by cliffracer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:41 pm

Agreed, I went back and compared the stats on the both adapters (mine and the mini DC) and even the output exactly matches. In summary
  • both adapters have the same plug end
  • both adapters are the same wattage (65)
  • both adapters have the same output (24V - 2.71A)
Normally if I were looking for a third-party power adapter, if all those points lined up, I'd feel pretty safe using it but when it comes to my CPAP I am extra paranoid.

cliffracer

Post by cliffracer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:13 pm

I emailed Resmed customer service and got this reply:
Unfortunately, the AirMini DC converter is not considered compatible with the Airsense11.
That may be about as good an answer of 'it'll work but we can't officially SAY that it will'. What do you guys think?

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:22 pm

klm49 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:50 am
In fact, the third-party electronics market that supplies parts to manufacturers has moved on from bulk availability of the style of power connector used on the A10 (and a bunch of other devices from other manufactures). If the parts aren't readily available, as a manufacturer you move on to something else that is readily available in bulk.

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra :idea:

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:08 pm

billbolton wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:22 pm
klm49 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:50 am
In fact, the third-party electronics market that supplies parts to manufacturers has moved on from bulk availability of the style of power connector used on the A10 (and a bunch of other devices from other manufactures). If the parts aren't readily available, as a manufacturer you move on to something else that is readily available in bulk.

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra :idea:
Sadly all these DC cord connector changes started way back after the S8 so that doesn't look like a supplier parts problem. It looks more like a money grubbing problem for the users.

iirc - the S8 was a simple straightforward 12V power cord - it was the S9 were they went to 24V DC and tripled the cost of the DC cord. I'm pretty sure that S8 DC barrel connector is still available and that could be used on 12 or 24V.

Sadly, The reason for the changes are clear and obvious.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:18 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:08 pm
iirc - the S8 was a simple straightforward 12V power cord - it was the S9 were they went to 24V DC and tripled the cost of the DC cord. I'm pretty sure that S8 DC barrel connector is still available and that could be used on 12 or 24V.
<sigh> :roll:

The S9 and later flow generators have a substantial step up in power requirements in order to deliver substantially improved therapy
compared to the S8. They need a different sort of power management, including a three circuit connector to handle a signal line that allows that flow generator to sense how much power is available from the connected power supply, and if necessary disable features, such as the the humidifier if there is not enough power available to operate the feature concerned.

The S8 barrel connector is a two circuit connector, so is quite unsuitable.

cliffracer

Post by cliffracer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 am

billbolton wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:18 am
... and if necessary disable features, such as the the humidifier if there is not enough power available to operate the feature concerned.

With that in mind, do you think the Air Mini DC adapter would work on the Airsense 11, even though the stats match?

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:17 pm

bump
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

cliffracer

Post by cliffracer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for the bump! For my campout this weekend I bought a simple AC capable battery pack. I know that, with the way those things work, that I would be lucky to get a full night's sleep out of it but its better than nothing :) Plus when the DC adapter finally does get released (ie. they make a new box for the AirMini DC and put an '11' on it) the battery pack is DC capable as well so its not a total waste.

Anyway, I'd still like to see what the general consensus is around here if the Mini DC adapter would be safe to use on the Airsense 11.

jim22

Post by jim22 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 pm

I know this isn't the answer to the question you asked, but for the Airsense 10 I just bought, the AC adapter produces 24V, but also there is a center pin with about 3.3 volts. I bought an aftermarket DC/DC adapter specifically advertised for the Airsense 10, and it also has the 3.3 volt center pin. My guess is this is pretty specialized and a generic 24V DC adapter, even with plug that will physically fit, would not work. I do not have any experience with the Airsense 11, and a couple google searches did not turn up any power supplies for it.

Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:31 am

cliffracer wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 am
With that in mind, do you think the Air Mini DC adapter would work on the Airsense 11, even though the stats match?
Without schematics for both devices (which are not publicly available) there is no way of knowing with any certainty.

AFAIK there is a significant size difference in the form-factor of the two power adapters, which strongly suggests to me that they are not likely to be interchangeable. :idea:

guswah

Post by guswah » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:30 pm

I don't normally do things like this, but I sprang for about $400CA and bought the Medistrom battery to use with my AirMini. I had to fly out of province for a funeral last weekend and tested the whole shebang. It worked great. I had no trouble getting eight hours out of it, and maybe if I were daring I'd try it for a second night without recharging. But I'm not. I imagine it would handle the Airsense for the same amount of time, but of course I have no way to know for sure.

BTW, I also bought an 8" x 8" x 3" hard case on Amazon and fit everything into it perfectly by removing the partitions. Of course the mask and hose went into the netted bag that came with the AirMini. Slick and compact.
ResMed AirSense 10, AirMini, F20 mask, bitchin' big battery in case I need a nap in the field

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Rather than deal with Resmed$ proprietary $upply crap,
I sprang for a Devillbiss Intellipap Autoadjust, which would run for a nap
off the Previa "lighter" port, or any 12 volt dc supply.
When I used it, there was little difference in how it felt.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:22 pm

billbolton wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:18 am
SleepGeek wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:08 pm

The S9 and later flow generators have a substantial step up in power requirements in order to deliver substantially improved therapy
compared to the S8. They need a different sort of power management, including a three circuit connector to handle a signal line that allows that flow generator to sense how much power is available from the connected power supply, and if necessary disable features, such as the the humidifier if there is not enough power available to operate the feature concerned.

So that begs the question why all the other cpap manufacturers still use 12V for their cpaps?
<sigh> :roll: I doubt you can give a straight answer.

I think you think you work for re$med.
palerider wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:26 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:22 pm
So that begs the question why all the other cpap manufacturers still use 12V for their cpaps?
<sigh> :roll: I doubt you can give a straight answer.

I think you think you work for re$med.
Because the Re$med motor has to be more responsive, (to allow it to do FOT) and using higher voltage allows smaller gauge windings while still delivering the required power.

Philp$ Re$pironic$ and Devilbi$$ don't have the technology, (but they do u$e more $ $ign$).
Last edited by SleepGeek on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
They are here to help.