Philips Respironics Recall V2.0 Questions and Answers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kbh209

Philips Respironics Recall V2.0 Questions and Answers

Post by kbh209 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:04 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 pm
JLROhio wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 pm
- if I want to know something, I should start a thread and ask...but again, I don't know if I would do a topic of questions on the replacement machines the justice it deserves.
Or you could just toss your thoughts out there and let nature takes its course like I have done here.
You never know but your questions might be in the minds of others and any responses might help someone else.
Lord knows this thread is now so massive that it is difficult to read and understand or follow.
I have been thinking it needs to be replaced anyway because the original goals I had have been met for the most part.

Time for a new thread with new goals IMHO.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to let this one fade away.
I just haven't felt up to doing a new topic myself lately and I don't see that changing for a while.
I'm taking Pugsy's advice on starting a new thread. There's been some movement in the recall, some people are getting Dream Station 2s shipped out to them, some are not as of yet. Philips recently got approval to start replacing motors with the old foam with new motors with new foam into our recalled machine. There's information from many YouTube channels and some possible misinformation from YouTube channels. We still have questions, there will be answers as time continues. Let this thread be helpful for those said questions, and questions of old from new people who might have just found out about the recall. Let's try to keep it on topic so Pugsy doesn't use Mjollnir ...I mean, the mod-hammer on us. :mrgreen:
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

racprops

Re: Philips Respironics Recall V2.0 Questions and Answers

Post by racprops » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:51 am

I will start you off:

Someone posted that the recalled Phillips machines are being sent to a medical disposal company.

To Stericycle medical disposal company??

Indianapolis Medical Waste Disposal | Stericycle
[Search domain stericycle.com] https://www.stericycle.com/en-us/service...dianapolis
Stericycle is the trusted provider of medical waste disposal solutions throughout Indianapolis & surrounding areas, including Carmel and Bloomington. Learn more. Customer Service: 866-783-7422

But I also have seen that some people are being told: “The instructions ask that I return my old machine to: Philips Respironics Returns in Mt. Pleasant, PA.”

Has anyone got any info on this??

I am asking everyone with a replacement Dreamstation II to post the address they are being given for the return of their old Phillips machines.

Has anyone got a replacement machine and has a copy of the return address and we can then research if it is a medical disposal company??

I find it very interesting if this is true.

Rich

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:16 am

racprops wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:51 am
I find it very interesting if this is true.
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:22 am

racprops

Post by racprops » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:09 am

Yes as Nick said:

Some of you have started receiving your replacement DreamStation 2 machines for the recall. When it arrives, Philips is requesting that you send back your DreamStation 1 machines. I strongly recommend you do not send back the DreamStation 1. If your health has been impacted in anyway regarding the device it will be very hard to prove that if you no longer have your machine and it's data / foam to prove so.

Philips will only just bin it anyway! It is of absolutely no use to them.

OR are they destroying the evidence by having the machines shipped to a medical disposal company??

Rich

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:52 am

Who needs lawyers, when we can get free legal advice from youtubers and internet posters.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 am

racprops wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:09 am
Yes as Nick said:

Some of you have started receiving your replacement DreamStation 2 machines for the recall. When it arrives, Philips is requesting that you send back your DreamStation 1 machines. I strongly recommend you do not send back the DreamStation 1. If your health has been impacted in anyway regarding the device it will be very hard to prove that if you no longer have your machine and it's data / foam to prove so.

Philips will only just bin it anyway! It is of absolutely no use to them.

OR are they destroying the evidence by having the machines shipped to a medical disposal company??

Rich
From the way tings are looking to me, Philips won't be replacing the bipap machines that many of us have. Instead, at some point in the future (near, far, who knows?) I'm assuming that Philips will start some sort of repair/retrofit operation on these Philips bipap machines. I have no idea what that will look like. Either the machines will be shipped somewhere for the work or we'll have to bring them into our DMEs for the work.

When this work is done any evidence, as you mentioned above, will go in the bin as well. I don't see any other option if we want our machines updated.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

racprops

Post by racprops » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 am

As I see this mess, having owned some 6 machines, 4 I used personally used and 2 I was given; only one had bad foam in it.

I live in hot but dry AZ. And personally with my 4 machines never used any cleaning machine like a SoClean on my machines.

So there will be two kinds of machines, clean ones with no foam falling apart and bad machines with bad foam.

They seem to be very easy to tell apart.

The good nothing shows up in the water, hoses, face mask nor your face, mouth or lungs.

The bad foam does shows up in the water, hoses, face mask nor your face, mouth or lungs as specks.

I see that a few people believe their health has been harmed by their Phillips machine(s).

I believe that only a small number of people have really been harmed. I feel for them.

I also believe that many are just scared and then their fear causes their health problems.

CPAP has its own list of side effects; dry mouth is only one of them. GURD is another. And there are others.

Phillips has stated that they are replacing CPAP and APAP machines…and that all other models will be repaired.

The good ones will just need the foam chamber replaced with a new chamber with the new foam.

The bad ones…personally from trying to clean one, well it was a mess even the clear plastic was frosted by something.

The bad machines I think will really need 100% replacement.

Phillips has not even hinted as to when they will be making new BiPAP and ASV machines.

Perhaps they will have NOS (New Old Stock) and will replace the foam chambers and then supply them.

Here we will really enter into the Twilight Zone: If you have a bad machine, you may very well be having health problems.

In this case, you really do want to keep the bad machine as evidence, but I see a lot of people so poor and money tight they cannot afford to buy another machine.

They are the ones crying for a replacement machine.

Phillips may very well demand the old machine to replace it.

Here things could get really ugly.

And I think we really want to know what will happen with the returned machines.

Most medical stuff is disposed of as medical dangerous once it has been used or has touched a person.

I can see this happening reasonably with these machines, The DMEs by law cannot resell or allow a returned machine to be reissued.

YET there is a secondary market of used machines. I personally have bought all my Phillips machines from this used market.

Sleep testing centers reuse their machines over and over. They are allowed to clean these machines, as are Dr. Offices and hospitals.

This is hard to explain.

So will millions of Phillips machines be destroyed or will they be refurbished as to the rules or laws allowing the reuse of correctly cleaned machines??

I feel we need to know.

Rich

Petrodon

Post by Petrodon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:12 pm

Here is a question. I have a PR System One. Does anyone know what they are doing for these?

I know the DS1 is being replaced by the DS2. Does anyone have a PR System One and have they done anything for you and/or contacted you (or really ANYTHING)? I saw Nicko on Youtube literally had to pull his apart completely to get at the foam. What do they expect us to do with these?

racprops

Post by racprops » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm

I am sorry but my guess as the System One machines are well over 5 years old they may not do anything.

Or as it is very easy to pop them open and just pull out the old foam and drop in the new they may supply new foam for them.

I did work out a system to seal the bottom of the air chamber with a styrene plastic sheet on my machines.

You can even remove the foam and all you lose is the air will not be drawn in through the filter but from inside the case.

With the System One machines ALL the sensors are all located at the end of the air passives and unaffected but a bottomless chamber as far as I can see in my opinon.

I can share how I did my system one if you want.

Rich

SueW1950

Post by SueW1950 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm

A bit of a quandary here... I live in Australia, but I bought my Dreamstation from Second Wind. So the registration process does not work for me, because the SN is not recognised as a proper machine number in AU, but the AU address is not permitted, because the machine is a US model. I guess I am just going to have to foot the bill for a new Australian machine asap. I've been using inline filters for a long time so thats OK, but I guess the machine itself is going to stop functioning correctly before long. I wonder what the long term impact of not getting a fix would be?

[edit] bah! Must have made a typo on the original attempt to register. All good now. Altho, here's something, Mac users will need to use something other than Safari to register... I used Firefox and was finally able to complete after several failed attempts with Safari.
Last edited by SueW1950 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:04 pm

SueW1950 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm
I wonder what the long term impact of not getting a fix would be?
It is unlikely to cause any damage to health.

The UK health authorities issued a reasonable alert ----> https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-alerts/n ... slash-mhra

Excerpt:
The available evidence suggests that the risks to patients of ceasing to use these devices significantly outweigh the biological safety risks if patients do not have ready access to an alternative.
You should read the entire alert.

SueW1950

Post by SueW1950 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:38 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:04 pm

It is unlikely to cause any damage to health.

The UK health authorities issued a reasonable alert ----> https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-alerts/n ... slash-mhra

Excerpt:
The available evidence suggests that the risks to patients of ceasing to use these devices significantly outweigh the biological safety risks if patients do not have ready access to an alternative.
You should read the entire alert.
Thanks for that, appreciated. Should be ok, I only used the humidifier for a very short time, because I found it made my nasal/sinus congestion much worse (same applied to my old Remstar Pro) so I switched to using inline filters of the Hudson type. I live in a very dusty environment so that proved to be the best solution for me. So, even if bits of foam escape, they won't make it to my lungs.

What I *was* concerned about was the effect of no fix on the machine itself...

racprops

Post by racprops » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Is it a dream station or a system one??

In either case, there are good instructions out there on how to remove the foam for both models.

The humidifier has 1000% nothing to do with causing the foam to fall apart. The humidifier is on the tail end of the system like a car's tail pipe.

The humidity they talk about is in the air where you live.

IF the foam does starts to fall apart it MIGHT mess up the fan.

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.