ResMed Cellular data and app question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
photonic

ResMed Cellular data and app question

Post by photonic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi there. Love this place!

I have a new ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV (Phillips replacement). Do I understand the cellular feature correctly? :

If I want to use the cell phone app, the machine has to communicate with a the ResMed website via cellular transmission. Then the app contacts the website to give you the data. The cellular transmission is not specifically for my sleep doctor. The SD card is for that.

Further, if I am going to use OSCAR, then I don't need the app and therefore do not need the cellular transmission and CAN TURN IT OFF.

Lastly for OSCAR I will use my SD card just like I used to do for SleepyHead.

Do I have all these details correct?

As always, thanks so much for your kind support.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

Jlfinkels

Re: ResMed Cellular data and app question

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Depending on your insurance (assuming you got your machine with insurance) they may need the information sent to Resmed to show compliance with their usage requirements. It only sends limited sleep stats to the Resmed servers, so nothing to really worry about unless that sort of thing concerns you. The app is a handy way to get a high-level view into how things are going, not detailed like OSCAR, but it’s enough to let you know things are working.

Are you worried about the cellular transmission of your data to Resmed servers? I don’t recall a way to turn it off via commands, it may require opening the case and pulling out a board or other intrusive method. Others here may have a better idea on ways to do it. Personally I would just leave it on as it doesn’t cost me anything and provides a simple interface through the phone app or website to see my data.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:51 pm

photonic wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:56 pm
Do I have all these details correct?
Yes.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

photonic

Post by photonic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:29 pm

palerider, I love it: "Yes"

Jlfinkels, those are interesting thoughts. Thanks for that. Perhaps I will try it out along with OSCAR. I note that when I get into the clinician menu, I can turn it off. Will think on it!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:34 pm

photonic wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:29 pm
palerider, I love it: "Yes"

Jlfinkels, those are interesting thoughts. Thanks for that. Perhaps I will try it out along with OSCAR. I note that when I get into the clinician menu, I can turn it off. Will think on it!
Thanks photonic. I’ve only used clinician mode a few times to set pressure based on helpful advice here and never checked out the cellular stuff.

BTW, love the nom de plume! Photonic is a very cool username. Wish I had thought of picking a cooler name when I signed up, but that ship has sailed so initials it shall remain.

-jeff
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

photonic

Post by photonic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:49 pm

yeah but you have an awesome puffer fish avatar!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

larryn

Post by larryn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:02 pm

try putting your unit airplane mode,worked for me.

Last edited by larryn on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

photonic

Post by photonic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:07 pm

nice!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

photonic

Post by photonic » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Interesting followup on this subject. I discussed this with my new Medicare DME clinician (who was great by the way) and she told me not to turn it off because especially during the initial "rental" period, they absolutely had to have the data in THEIR system to prove compliance to the insurer. After that I could turn it off if I wished. But I also found out my sleep doc has instant access to the data as well and thus don't have to bring my SD card when I have a followup visit. Hmmm, seems the benefits are there. I will leave it on.

From the Google playstore it appears the reviews of the app are just horrible so I will stay away from that and use OSCAR.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software