Poll for airmini bluetooth connection problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Does your airmini bluetooth connection stop working after a while?

Yes, I have to unplug airmini power for it to work again
57%
No, it connects to my phone even after a week of use
43%

Total votes: 7

tb2496

Poll for airmini bluetooth connection problem

Post by tb2496 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 am

Hi. I purchased airmini for travel and to be a backup for Dreamstation since I can’t use it now due to recall.

I was surprised to find that it has (what seems like) common issue with the Bluetooth connection. it works ok, then unless I powercycle it won’t reconnect. The LED on it stays blue (indicating it’s connected to phone) even if I disable Bluetooth on my phone (normally LED goes white when I do that).

I thought I would create a poll to see how common this is, hopefully try to get Resmed to fix this through firmware update.

tb2496

Re: Poll for airmini bluetooth connection problem

Post by tb2496 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Hmm so not many here have this issue?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

tb2496 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm
Hmm so not many here have this issue?
1. There are not many here who use an AirMini.

2. There are not many here who think the AirMini app is of value.*

*The exception on the app is for convenient reporting of usage when proof of compliance is needed for insurance purposes.

danguba78

Post by danguba78 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:28 am

I purchased my AirMini directly from ResMed during the early days of the Philips recall, and I had this same issue. I reported the issue to ResMed support, and their responses was that it was normal and not a concern.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 am

Probably because the airmini is primarily intended for occasional, casual use,
not continuous operation, as you are using it now.
Don't you wish you had gotten an airsense?

danguba78

Post by danguba78 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:56 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 am
Don't you wish you had gotten an airsense?
Respectfully, no. I know I’m not in the majority here, but for my needs and wants, the AirMini has been the perfect replacement for my DreamStation1. Why?
  • I don’t really need humidification, or at least not the active humidification offered by traditional, water-tank humidifiers. The HumidX pucks have been more than enough. (I live in Chicago, not the southwest, so I bet geography matters a ton.)
  • I travel a lot for work, often one- or two-night trips, all carry-on, with a briefcase and roll aboard, and the much smaller form factor of the AirMini is far easier to pack and travel with. I’m not talking about what the airline will allow me to bring aboard; I’m talking about my ability to move nimbly through airports and in cramped cabins.
  • I vastly prefer a smartphone interface to the knob and nested menus of a traditional machine. Relatedly, the lack of screen lighting up my room is great.
  • The fact that I can, with the (overpriced!) accessory kit clip the AirMini to my bed rail and have my machine completely off the nightstand table and out of sight is great.
It’s really worked well for me. I wasn’t sure it would, so I bought direct from ResMed because they have a 30-day return window. That cost me more money, but I viewed it as buying an insurance policy. A pricey insurance policy. But back in late June, I thought it was worth it to move on from the DreamStation in world of scarce machines and no real clarity from my insurance company. Additionally, because I used a particular credit card to make the purchase, I have automatically extended the warranty to four years. That was another way to mitigate my risk.

The one downside for a lot of folks here is going to be the lack of Oscar compatibility, and I know that’s a complete showstopper for many. I have my treatment pretty well dialed in, and I was using Oscar with my DreamStation maybe twice a year. I don’t feel I’m missing much. I check my AHI, ignore the X out of 100 “score,” and that’s it. For those who are still dialing things in, and want access to that data, the AirMini just won’t cut it. But for me, who wanted only one machine, it’s really worked out well. So far. I’ve only had it since July 2021. I guess we’ll see how happy I am after 6 or 12 months—it could definitely change.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 am

danguba78 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:56 am
Why? blah blah blah
Very good analysis.
it could definitely change
English language and logic clobbered :D

tb2496

Post by tb2496 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Ok. Well imo device in this price range shouldn’t have this kind of bug. Most likely it’s just a firmware fix, but resmed don’t care.

Since I’m using iPhone, wonder if it’s android phones that work without problem.

pokeslayer

Post by pokeslayer » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:37 am

I have an Airmini and use an iPhone 8s Plus.

I have to power cycle mine every night to make Bluetooth connect again. Is it a major problem, I suppose not just a PITA, something as simple as that should just work.

Like the OP I use it for travel, camping etc. just a bit more lightweight and less power draw than my AirSense10 that has been great.