You can have low AHI (even 0) but still having apnea! Solved!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
See-Papa

You can have low AHI (even 0) but still having apnea! Solved!!

Post by See-Papa » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:07 pm

I just wanted to share my experience in the hopes it can help another.

I have the Phillips Dreamstation. During July and August the machine was saying I was having low AHI, like .3, or even .1 or .5. But I still felt wrong and that I was having apnea. I know that feeling!

Ok so what gives?

A few weeks ago, in the middle of the night, I woke up with no pressure, feeling like I was having apnea. The screen said 'Service Required....'

I reset the machine and made it through the rest of the night.

Looking at the data in OSCAR, I could see that the machine was dropping out during the night all of the time. 10 minutes, to an hour sometimes. And this had been going on for 2 months!!

During the dropouts the motor stops, you have no pressure, and no data is collected. I am sure I was having apneas during those gaps. But they are not recorded.

My supplier gave me a refurbished unit immediately and I can see that the motor does not drop out, and I have no gaps.

But they do not get this indicator that the unit needs service. You have to figure it out.

Am feeling great again!! Love it!!!

Please don't trust your machine even if it shows you having low AHI or even 0. If you feel wrong trust your feelings.

When the motor wears out you get these gaps without treatment. And if you are like me, we need the treatment.

Hope this helps someone else.

Additional Comments: AirFit F-10 also when I have a cold. Pressure 10 CPAP