Post septoplasty changes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
michgol

Post septoplasty changes

Post by michgol » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:08 pm

I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction ~5 weeks ago. All in all it was a good outcome. I am breathing better than before and overall feel great. Per the logs on my CPAP I am seeing what I think I would expect. Specifically that my flow limits seem less than before and my max pressure seems a bit less. I am still having apneas, but it seems to deal with them with less pressure. However, I am having two issues post surgery I would like some thoughts on.

Equipment resmed autosense 10 w/ dreamwear full face.

First, almost every night I am waking up with the mask feeling wet against my face. I am not sure if this is sweat or rainout. I am on the same humidity settings and tube temp as before which is auto and am trying to figure out what changed with the surgery, or if the surgery was when we really hit summer where I live and this is my first summer on CPAP and things are different when it is hotter outside. Part of my confusion is that there is not water in the mask, but the seal against my face and nose.

Second, I am having a hard time falling asleep. When I start the machine it is almost like I have a caffeinated beverage.

I am thinking that now that I can breathe through my mouth that moving to a nasal mask is a good option. I have the parts to switch the dreamwear to nasal on the way as well as a chin strap to help me keep my mouth closed while I try switching.

SummerTime

Re: Post septoplasty changes

Post by SummerTime » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 am

michgol wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:08 pm
I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction ~5 weeks ago. All in all it was a good outcome. I am breathing better than before and overall feel great. Per the logs on my CPAP I am seeing what I think I would expect. Specifically that my flow limits seem less than before and my max pressure seems a bit less. I am still having apneas, but it seems to deal with them with less pressure. However, I am having two issues post surgery I would like some thoughts on.

Equipment resmed autosense 10 w/ dreamwear full face.

First, almost every night I am waking up with the mask feeling wet against my face. I am not sure if this is sweat or rainout. I am on the same humidity settings and tube temp as before which is auto and am trying to figure out what changed with the surgery, or if the surgery was when we really hit summer where I live and this is my first summer on CPAP and things are different when it is hotter outside. Part of my confusion is that there is not water in the mask, but the seal against my face and nose.

Second, I am having a hard time falling asleep. When I start the machine it is almost like I have a caffeinated beverage.

I am thinking that now that I can breathe through my mouth that moving to a nasal mask is a good option. I have the parts to switch the dreamwear to nasal on the way as well as a chin strap to help me keep my mouth closed while I try switching.

Glad to know your surgery produced a good result.

Someone more comfortable with machine and mask issues will be along to help. I just want to mention that when I was feeling my nose/face was wet when I woke up, I lowered the humidity on my machine and that worked for me. My humidity was at 4 and I lowered it to 3. It was rain out for me, not sweat.

Check back tomorrow... most people are asleep now.
Resmed AirSense 10 Auto For Her
Masks: N30 - P10