Warning Foam Degradation Old Puritan Bennett GoodKnight 420 Units

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lane101

Warning Foam Degradation Old Puritan Bennett GoodKnight 420 Units

Post by Lane101 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:22 pm

A heads up that anyone still using one of the old GoodKnight 420 CPAPs should check to ensure that the foam in their machine has not deteriorated. I owned two of the 420G (fixed pressure CPAP) machines that were purchased in 2002 and 2006 respectively. Disposed of the first one over 6 years ago when the blower motor went out after 15,000 hours + of use. After 2015 the second unit was just used a few days a year when camping as it ran directly on 12 volts. Last use was in 2019. When I tried to use it last year it produced a sharp chemical odor that would not go away. Took it apart and found that all the foam, that forms much of the air inflow pathway, had deteriorated to the point where it had a soft clay like consistency much that fell apart when touched. Mushy foam was actually somewhat sticky versus a dry powder. Unit had just under 10,000 hours on it. Unclear if this was a sudden deterioration or something gradual that was not noticed until last year. If anyone else has experienced something similar with their machines please chime in here to raise awareness of this to others still using the devices. Do not use Ozone cleaning devices for any of my CPAP/APAP machines.