Traditional Cpap vs Apap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ILoveFlowers

Traditional Cpap vs Apap

Post by ILoveFlowers » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 pm

I'm curious about the different specifications for machines. I was started off with apap from the beginning so I understand how that works.
Do many people still use the traditional cpap or have most people switched over to apap? Is there a reason some need to stick with cpap?
And then is bilevel different from both of these?
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

zonker

Re: Traditional Cpap vs Apap

Post by zonker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:34 pm

ILoveFlowers wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 pm
I'm curious about the different specifications for machines. I was started off with apap from the beginning so I understand how that works.
Do many people still use the traditional cpap or have most people switched over to apap? Is there a reason some need to stick with cpap?
dunno about bilevel as haven't had much to do with that.

cpap levels you out so that you have the same minimum pressure as maximum pressure. you could, for all intents and purposes, turn your apap into a cpap by just changing one of the pressures.

i'm not entirely sure if people coming fresh to sleep apnea are prescribed cpap.

there are a few people who come by here who use cpap only.

forum member wulfman comes to mind.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 pm

In Ontario, Canada, it is very difficult to get prescribed an APAP machine under the ADP program.

One must meet the following eligibility criteria:
  • Sleep study documenting OSA
  • Require 10 cm or more
  • Require a difference of at least 4 cm (or more) between REM v NREM or Supine vs Non-Supine sleeping
ILoveFlowers wrote:

Yes.

Historically, BiLevel was the ability to deliver different pressures depending on whether one was inhaling or exhaling. Now, most modern day machines are capable of limited BiLevel ability (approximately 3cm).

Typical differences between BiLevel and traditional APAP/CPAP are:
  • Greater difference between between Inhale (IPAP) and Exhale EPAP support.
  • Greater ability to deliver more pressure, most modern day APAP/CPAP can deliver up to 20 cm. BiLevel up to 25 cm
  • Greater ability to configure the characteristics of EPAP and IPAP pressures.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 pm
In Ontario, Canada, it is very difficult to get prescribed an APAP machine under the ADP program.

One must meet the following eligibility criteria:
  • Sleep study documenting OSA
  • Require 10 cm or more
  • Require a difference of at least 4 cm (or more) between REM v NREM or Supine vs Non-Supine sleeping
ILoveFlowers wrote:

Yes.

Historically, BiLevel was the ability to deliver different pressures depending on whether one was inhaling or exhaling. Now, most modern day machines are capable of limited BiLevel ability (approximately 3cm).

Typical differences between BiLevel and traditional APAP/CPAP are:
  • Greater difference between between Inhale (IPAP) and Exhale EPAP support.
  • Greater ability to deliver more pressure, most modern day APAP/CPAP can deliver up to 20 cm. BiLevel up to 25 cm
  • Greater ability to configure the characteristics of EPAP and IPAP pressures.
huh!

according to passport-in-hand, you don't give out any helpful advice.

sure hope he doesn't see this!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:02 pm

ILoveFlowers wrote:
Some folks are woken by variations in pressure. At least one member here had problems with high blood pressure using an auto-cpap although I don't think anybody knew why. Some people do not have apnea at all but use the machine to assist breathing (ex: reduced lung function). Many docs STILL set patient machines at the 'ideal' pressure. Nobody here stays with THAT very long.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:42 pm

Since APAP machines can be configured for CPAP only mode, there really should only be APAP machines made. I have a feeling CPAP machines are APAP machines with functionality disabled by the manufacturer. Makes no sense to make two different circuit boards. Would be more cost effective to make just one.

The Canadian requirement makes sense reading it. Don't know how it applies practically though.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:17 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:42 pm
Since APAP machines can be configured for CPAP only mode, there really should only be APAP machines made.
As long as insurance companies insist on lowest possible cost for "effective" treatment, they will continue to make single pressure machines.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Jeanne Ellen

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Apparently I’m a dinosaur who uses only cpap. I started out five years ago, as instructed by my doctor, with an auto pap setting of 8-12. Many problems ensued with many degrees of pressure settings changes. Eventually, after reading discussions here, I felt I might be among those light sleepers who were constantly awakened by the automatic pressure adjustments made by my Dreamstation. I’d either wake up feeling bloated or hiccoughing (too much pressure) or with a headache (too little pressure). I finally settled on plain old cpap with pressure set between 7.5 and 11 and I started using Bleeps (great invention)—yay. Now I’m sleeping great and my AHI has gone from 9 to .5. Of course, now with this recall, the Dreamstation is out. Tonight I start using the ResMed Air Sense. I’m trying to set it up as we speak.

Jeanne Ellen

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Oops! Sorry, I had a brain collapse. I USED to use straight cpap, but have since gone back to Autopap with a much more limited pressure setting and good results. You can completely disregard my former message. Apologies for having a senior moment.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:09 pm

southerndoc wrote:
I have a feeling CPAP machines are APAP machines with functionality disabled by the manufacturer. Makes no sense to make two different circuit boards. Would be more cost effective to make just one.
ResMed does exactly that.

The Airbreak project (reflashing firmware) from a year or so ago demonstrated that BiLevel, Auto, could be installed on all AirSense 10 devices.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:09 pm
southerndoc wrote:
I have a feeling CPAP machines are APAP machines with functionality disabled by the manufacturer. Makes no sense to make two different circuit boards. Would be more cost effective to make just one.
ResMed does exactly that.

The Airbreak project (reflashing firmware) from a year or so ago demonstrated that BiLevel, Auto, could be installed on all AirSense 10 devices.
wonder how much that would cost?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:15 pm

ILoveFlowers wrote:
I have a number of APAPs and a number of straight CPAP machines.
With a exceptions of a few brief periods when I experimented with ranges of pressures, I've used straight pressures (CPAP mode) for the entire time I've been on this therapy.
My experiments with ranges of pressures confirmed that my CPAP pressure is optimal.
I also have all of my APAPs configured to straight pressure mode.

Reasons I don't use ranges of pressure are:
I have very few flow limitations, hypopneas or apneas. (almost NONE of any of those)
I have "some" snoring but those events aren't in any proximity to my hypopneas or apneas.
I see no reason to allow my machines to chase an occasional errant breathing anomaly for no benefit.
I found that pressure changes can disrupt my sleep.
Straight pressure is by far the most comfortable for me to use.
My AHI typically averages about 0.2 - 0.3 over a month's time or over a year's time.

Why change when you find out what works well for you?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 am

southerndoc wrote:
I have a feeling CPAP machines are APAP machines with functionality disabled by the manufacturer.
Actually, CPAP machines are iVAPS and ASV ventilators with functionality disabled by the manufacturer.

I've got a Resmed S9 that does everything. (Look up VPAP Tx)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.