Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lane101

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by Lane101 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:44 pm

Buddy0329 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:58 pm
From the Philips recall thread on Apnea Board. I thought everyone should see this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... #pid400553

This is exactly what the foam in my old GoodKnight 420 was like when I disposed of it last year (separate post on this). Granted this unit was 15 years old/just under 10,000 hours at the time. Only used the unit a few days a year when camping for direct 12v operation. Opened the unit last year due to a strong chemical odor.

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:53 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:23 pm
In the prior video's listed here, the YouTube ones by the guy in Australia - he seems to think that the simplest solution is to remove the plastic housing (with the enclosed older black foam) that surrounds the turbine/fan motor and replace it with a new plastic housing that has the newer white foam within it - the same foam that is in their Dreamstation 2. Again, this seems to be the cheapest/most simple way to address the problem BUT the logistics of changing out 4 million plastic housings would be HUGE!
I would imagine that's what they'll do. The plastic housing is sealed, so they'd have to cut out the old filter, replace the foam, and then somehow seal back up the plastic housing. Manufacturing the housing with the foam in it, and replacing that would be a lot quicker.

The big logistic problem is they'd have to manufacture a lot of those housings with the new foam before they can start the repairs. Maybe that's one thing taking them so long to get going.

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:00 pm

In estimating the time this thing's going to take, we have to consider a possible surge or upward trend in Covid-19. If that happens, and they have to reinstate social distancing and other mitigation restrictions, that could slow the process further. Also, Phillips may need to divert some resources to make more ventilators and handle the recall of those units.

The bottom line is it's best to plan for a long haul on this.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:02 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:35 am
Made in USA--sheltered in the Netherlands?
It makes even more sense now.
Philips started as a Dutch company many decades ago and still is. No surprise there.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:09 pm

So what possessed them to use toxic/carcinogenic chemicals in the foam--
one of which has been banned in hair dye--an EXTERNALLY used product?

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:23 pm

HairyReasoner wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:00 pm

....Or just write the thing off and get something else now. There's no price on health.

For financial redress join a class action and hope to get a few dollars back in 3-5 years.

Juggsy75

Post by Juggsy75 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:51 pm

So I’m using a system one machine, but live in the uk, is it worth checking with the hospital who supplies my machine I wonder🤔🤔

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Buddy0329 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:23 pm
HairyReasoner wrote:

....Or just write the thing off and get something else now. There's no price on health.

For financial redress join a class action and hope to get a few dollars back in 3-5 years.
Yes, that's kind of what I'm thinking. If it's going to be a long haul, that may justify a new unit.

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:38 pm

HairyReasoner wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:53 pm
JLROhio wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:23 pm
In the prior video's listed here, the YouTube ones by the guy in Australia - he seems to think that the simplest solution is to remove the plastic housing (with the enclosed older black foam) that surrounds the turbine/fan motor and replace it with a new plastic housing that has the newer white foam within it - the same foam that is in their Dreamstation 2. Again, this seems to be the cheapest/most simple way to address the problem BUT the logistics of changing out 4 million plastic housings would be HUGE!
I would imagine that's what they'll do. The plastic housing is sealed, so they'd have to cut out the old filter, replace the foam, and then somehow seal back up the plastic housing. Manufacturing the housing with the foam in it, and replacing that would be a lot quicker.

The big logistic problem is they'd have to manufacture a lot of those housings with the new foam before they can start the repairs. Maybe that's one thing taking them so long to get going.
Nick "the guy from Australia", took apart the Dreamstation 2 and pulled the new white foam out of the plastic tub. (YouTube video) The white foam pulled apart easier than the black foam. Nick actually had the white foam crumbling in his fingers. I wouldn't use a new Dreamstation machine if they gave it to me.

I now have 26 hours on my new Airsense 10. My numbers are better, (Oscar) no more dry mouth and or throat / nasal irritation. Still using the same mask I used with my Dreamstation. The ResMed has better settings and is also quieter than the Philips DS.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:59 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:09 pm
So what possessed them to use toxic/carcinogenic chemicals in the foam--
one of which has been banned in hair dye--an EXTERNALLY used product?
the answer to any question that starts that way?

"money"
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Wonder if Philips manufactures their own foam or they outsource :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
https://www.made-in-china.com/manufactu ... -foam.html

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:19 pm

I was diagnosed with OSA in the military and recently got out. The Veterans Administration - VA took over the management of my device (ResMed) & now provide me with supplies and eventually replacement devices.

Question for those that use the VA for their CPAP equipment & own a Phillips machine - How has the VA been in relation to this Phillips issue? Have they replaced your machine? Did they tell you to stop using? Just looking for datapoints on how the VA is handling this?

I guess I could also ask those on Medicare, how is Medicare & the DME’s handling this?
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

packitin

Post by packitin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:05 pm

I've written to two of my Congressmen - Morgan Griffith, and Mark Warner. I suppose I will not hear a thing from them.

I wonder if there is any way to find out which politicians have sleep apnea, and possibly use a Philips product, or if they have friends or relatives who do. Seems like they would be eager to listen to our plight.

I, for one, am not going to try to remove the foam - I have enough trouble trying to fix my closet light switch, since I'm not mechanically inclined. I'll bet I'm not the only one.

What are we supposed to do? I have a Resmed on order, but it may be weeks or months before it comes. I've been using my Somnomed MAD device, but its 7 yr old, and my old System One P750 is even older.

But, I've made it this age by the grace of God, so I'll just have to hang in there and do what I can. In the mean time, I'm looking at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for a good back up machine - anything but a Philips -never again!
Resmed Vauto S Bilevel
Airfit n30

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Buddy0329 wrote:
HairyReasoner wrote:

easier said than done for those on disability, and have Medicare + Medicaid for health insurance. I have read that few people have written to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to ask for an exception to the five year rule for this recall. I'm waiting to see if they will budge and allow this exception.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:29 pm

kbh209 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm
Buddy0329 wrote:
HairyReasoner wrote:

easier said than done for those on disability, and have Medicare + Medicaid for health insurance. I have read that few people have written to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to ask for an exception to the five year rule for this recall. I'm waiting to see if they will budge and allow this exception.
I think that it's going to happen. I petitioned my insurer to waive the 5-year requirement and they did that after a week; of course they shared the good news with me the morning after I purchased a Resmed from an out of network provider.

Was able to secure an Autoset 10 for $460 out of pocket from a Resmed approved reseller. If anyone needs a source just PM me; I dont want to break forum rules.