Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zonker

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by zonker » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:07 pm
I understand this board is affiliated with CPAP.com but I’m not thrilled at all with how they’ve jacked up their prices as a result of this.

The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet was $589 on Monday.

Today, Thursday it’s…$999

WTH? :roll:
cpap.com is a business, plain and simple.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zzz1

Post by zzz1 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 pm

I didn’t know this board was associated with cpap.com.

This is completely unsolicited and I don’t often write these kind of things. I recently bought my dreamstatiom from cpap.com. Every single person I spoke with was extremely knowledgeable, extremely helpful and did what they said they were going to do. I’m not exaggerating.

I only knew about this recall because of an email I got from cpap.com. My wife also uses a Dreamstation, but heard nothing about the recall from her DME supplier.

I can’t say enough good things about the company and just bought a second machine for my wife from them until Philips can make this right.

I know I sound like a paid shill, but I am not. I will freely admit to being a big fan though.

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:06 pm

I rigged up a temporary filter last night by placing a fine filter between the hose coming from the machine and the hose to my mask. I just folded it over the end of the machine hose and the mask hose pushed right over it with no problem or leaks. It worked real well. I happened to have an oversize fine filter that was sent me by mistake one time. It's always handy to save things. Anyway, in case anyone else is looking for an idea.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 pm
EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:07 pm
I understand this board is affiliated with CPAP.com but I’m not thrilled at all with how they’ve jacked up their prices as a result of this.

The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet was $589 on Monday.

Today, Thursday it’s…$999

WTH? :roll:
Please review my past explanation of how ResMed dictates the prices cpap.com can advertise any of their products for.
page 8 of this thread ...about middle of the page maybe.

ResMed is just doing what they do. Take your complaint up with them.

I expect it to go higher.

I don't know if this link will take you directly to it or not. If it doesn't...look it up. I am not going to retype it.
http://cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t182248/S ... ?start=105
I did not realize that, I stand corrected then.

Yes, I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as the magnitude of this recall and I think machines by ResMed are going to get quite scarce.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am

zzz1 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 pm
I didn’t know this board was associated with cpap.com.

This is completely unsolicited and I don’t often write these kind of things. I recently bought my dreamstatiom from cpap.com. Every single person I spoke with was extremely knowledgeable, extremely helpful and did what they said they were going to do. I’m not exaggerating.

I only knew about this recall because of an email I got from cpap.com. My wife also uses a Dreamstation, but heard nothing about the recall from her DME supplier.

I can’t say enough good things about the company and just bought a second machine for my wife from them until Philips can make this right.

I know I sound like a paid shill, but I am not. I will freely admit to being a big fan though.
My experience has been nothing but positive, all the way since 2015, and I've had dozens of orders. The nice thing is it only takes a few minutes usually to find a coupon that works, so I often save 15-20% on orders and I almost always just do free shipping since I'm usually not in a rush :mrgreen:.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am

Stay calm, don't panic, don't be the little guy in this Disney classic...... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vQkd2vUiIA&t=115s

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:04 pm

I have received two text messages about the recall from the DME I got my first Respironics machine from. So, some DMEs are reaching out. Nothing from the DME I got my Dreamstation from.

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:34 pm

I haven't been able to get through on the phone line yet to actually speak to anybody at Phillips. But I wonder if anybody has and happened to ask these questions--I'm curious about the answers.

1. How can we ensure we get our own device back rather than a "refurbished" one. I just bought my unit 6 months ago, and I wouldn't like it very well if they sent me one back with 5 years of use on it--or as another person posted--one that had seen regular ozone treatment.

2. If you do get another unit besides your own back, how do they handle the documentation to ensure your warranty stays with it. The replacement unit won't have the same serial number, which is how I assume they track the units. I bought the extended warranty, so that's even more of a concern for me.

3. If you do get forced into taking a "refurbished" unit, what does that mean? Does it mean they just replaced the foam, or did they go through it and replace other parts as needed, too?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:01 pm

No sense trying to second-guess these rascals.
They are answerable to no one, and may very well be looking for the exit.

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:18 am

I had the most unusual hunch to read the board this evening and seen this "sticky thread." Thank you Pugsy, even the APAP I just received not too long ago is affected. I did register the machine on the webpage that Phillips directed me to. Now to call up the ol' DME provider on Monday to see if they've heard about the recall or not.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:07 am

Both of my devices are now registered, but who knows what will happen. It gave zero information except for a confirmation number, nothing on next steps.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:25 am

raisedfist wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:07 am
Both of my devices are now registered, but who knows what will happen. It gave zero information except for a confirmation number, nothing on next steps.
true dat. we've no idea just what purpose this serves. perhaps they will follow up in the days ahead?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

amenite

Post by amenite » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:43 am

Just had my first night ever on a Resmed Airsense 10 auto and I have to say it was much quieter than the PRS 560 and worked well.

Best case scenario for me would be some kind of credit against a new machine purchase. Second would be a replacement DS2 i guess. Third preference would be repair of my own machines since one is almost new and another is new in box. If their offer is a refurbished unit with questionable time on it I might not even bother sending it in.

The Kidde fire extinguisher recall was the best recall experience I could have imagined. Registered my three units and three new units arrived by UPS or whatever a few weeks later. I then stuffed the recalled ones in the same boxes, slapped the labels on them and sent them off. Done.
https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us ... inguisher/

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:45 am

amenite wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:43 am

The Kidde fire extinguisher recall was the best recall experience I could have imagined.
yup. that was awesome!

we can only hope the philips recall can work so smoothly.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Lane101

Post by Lane101 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:23 pm

Has anyone heard specifics as to what Phillips will do once you register your CPAPs?

I registered my Dreamstations and only received a confirmation number with no additional information on next steps. Not even a confirmation followup email. I did call the 1-877 line and was told that units over 5 years old will be replaced while those under 5 years will be repaired.

Share the concern expressed in an earlier post that I don't want a refurbished unit as my Dreamstations are relatively new and still under warranty. Fortunately my Doctor only recently moved me from fixed CPAP to APAP so I have a 2 year old Devilbiss Intellipap CPAP with only 1700 hours that I can use until this all gets sorted out.

Sensing that situation is fluid and Phillips is still figuring out how to handle this. Phillips customer service rep acknowledged that everything was still evolving. Read the materials on the DME links and it looks like Philips is seeking to recruit DMEs to help handle the recall.