Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLROhio

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by JLROhio » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 pm

I've ordered supplies from CPAP.com...and occasionally get a sales type e-mail or two from them.

Surprisingly, today...in the actual US Postal Mail, I rcvd the below flyer.

I wonder if they're still offering the "sales price" ($300 below MSRP) on the DreamStation 2 since this all started!

Anyway, if someone can use the codes (Sleep2021)...have at it...
Attachments
IMG_7780.jpg
IMG_7780.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 18641 times
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

aks007

Post by aks007 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:39 am

My sleep doctor wanted to see me in order to get a prescription for a new machine. My appointment is set up for next week. My Philips Remstar Auto is seven years old, so this is the time to get a new one. By the time I get the RX, the DME will probably be sold out of new Resmed machines and I'll have to wait months to get one.

I did notice some black stuff in my tubing a few months ago. I threw it out and replaced it with fresh tubing. That was probably the foam deteriorating.

I switched back to my old Resmed S9 for the time being. I use that one for travel and just throw it in my checked in luggage instead of carrying it on. I might have to treat it with more respect now.

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:02 am

Anyone have any ideas for how to jury-rig a filter into the line for now just in case there are particles? I know I could order one of those in-line filters but it wouldn't be here for a few nights at least.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:14 am

ILoveFlowers wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:02 am
Anyone have any ideas for how to jury-rig a filter into the line for now just in case there are particles? I know I could order one of those in-line filters but it wouldn't be here for a few nights at least.
A layer of breathable cheesecloth and 22mm headed tubing.
Edit: The tubing should be loose enough a layer of cheesecloth and mask swivel to fit. But you'll likely need to duct tape the hose to the tubing. I have a fitting that allows the tubing to attach to the hose but you may not.

Probably will need to up the pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087JFR6LK
Last edited by GrumpyHere on Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 am

Recall website is up:

https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/

You can enter your machine’s serial # to see if it’s affected.

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:58 am

EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 am
Recall website is up:

Thanks! That was pretty quick. Well, my machine is definitely affected and I'm registered. We'll see how it goes from here!
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:39 am

Here they come...It didn't take long.....
https://www.bgandg.com/cpap?fbclid=IwAR ... 31OlEmfk10

BSH392

Re: Sticky: ResMed Safety Statement Would Be Nice

Post by BSH392 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 am

Since there is now conjecture (albeit without any basis in fact) about the foam used in ResMed devices, I wonder why the ResMed people don't issue an affirmative statement about the safety of their foam. Now, foam in CPAP's/APAP's in general can be viewed as having a potential risk, and people will speculate on it. As someone who is considering the ResMed devices right now, and as someone who is prone to OCD, I sure wish I would hear from ResMed on their foam safety.

BSH392

Post by BSH392 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:11 am

Since there is now conjecture (albeit without any basis in fact) about the foam used in ResMed devices, I wonder why the ResMed people don't issue an affirmative statement about the safety of their foam. Now, foam in CPAP's/APAP's in general can be viewed as having a potential risk, and people will speculate on it. As someone who is considering the ResMed devices right now, and as someone who is prone to OCD, I sure wish I would hear from ResMed on their foam safety.

tisket

Post by tisket » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:28 am

EJW372 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 am
Recall website is up:

Thanks, just registered mine.

Warned someone at work and turned out he was using a System M from 15 years ago!
---------------------------------------------------
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

BSH392

Post by BSH392 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:58 am

ResMed has made a statement: https://www.resmed.com/en-us/other-manu ... call-2021/

"On Monday, June 14, 2021, a separate manufacturer issued a U.S. recall and rest-of-world field safety notice for certain CPAP and ventilator devices. ResMed devices are not subject to this recall and are safe for patients to use. ResMed devices use a different material for sound reduction than the material used by the other manufacturer."

"ResMed devices, masks, and accessories are safe for patients to use, and are not subject to the other manufacturer’s June 2021 recall. Continue to manage your therapy normally in the way that supports your health and wellness. If you have questions, contact your physician or equipment provider."

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 am

LSAT wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:39 am
Here they come...It didn't take long.....
https://www.bgandg.com/cpap?fbclid=IwAR ... 31OlEmfk10
Yep, it was already mentioned a few pages back - with an interesting note that they were using a pic of a F&P machine!

Now it’s only a matter of time to see how long it will take the F&P lawyers to issue a cease and desist letter to these lawyers for defamation.
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

mellocello2003

Post by mellocello2003 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:30 am

I decided to take apart my (broken) old REMstar to find where this sound abatement foam is, and I think I found it inside the pump assembly. I recall seeing this crap on the filter and not knowing what it was. I think I breathed this in for years. Does anyone mind confirming that this is the same issue we're talking about?
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg (482.26 KiB) Viewed 18540 times
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg (620.76 KiB) Viewed 18540 times

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:45 am

mellocello2003 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:30 am
I decided to take apart my (broken) old REMstar to find where this sound abatement foam is, and I think I found it inside the pump assembly. I recall seeing this crap on the filter and not knowing what it was. I think I breathed this in for years. Does anyone mind confirming that this is the same issue we're talking about?
Nobody here can (or should) confirm that the particles you see is the sound abatement foam.

However, on the RemStar, the filters were placed at the air intake, before the pump. The particles you found on the filter could *NOT* have come from any of the device internals.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 am

mellocello2003 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:30 am
I recall seeing this crap on the filter and not knowing what it was.
You just had a massive logic fail. (Unless your fan runs in reverse.)