Travel with CPAP - bags, etc

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CyndiLooWho

Travel with CPAP - bags, etc

Post by CyndiLooWho » Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 am

Hi all! newish to the CPAP world. I was dx'd with sleep apnea in Dec 2020 and got my CPAP Jan 2021. I have a Philips Dreamstation with humidifier and use a Dreamwear nasal pillow mask. The machine has been a gamechanger for us as a couple; for the first time in a decade, my husband sleeps in our bed all night instead of being driven off by my snoring.

Traveling. So, about 10 days after I got my CPAP, we flew to Disney. We have also made a recent car trip with the machine. We have 3 more trips scheduled in the next 9 mos - 2 flying and 1 long car trip with multiple stops (not flying bc of the rental car situation). Also, we have an international cruise with hotel at each end planned for summer 2022.

The bag that came with my Dreamstation is stuffed full, before adding a 16 oz bottle of distilled water, which I will need for our December flight and our international trip. It also doesn't have a lot of padding. I traveled with the machine, hose, mask/headgear, travel wipes, lip balm, hose cozy, and the the folding arm that elevates the hose above my head, and I would not have been able to add anything else bigger than a few sheets of paper. I realize that I can buy distilled water most places, but for a quick weekend flight I don't want to have to seek out a grocery for CPAP water. Viking will provide distilled water for our cruise, but I don't know about the 2 nights pre and 2 nights post in our start / end cities.

There has to be a better travel solution! Is there a better bag that will hold all of my stuff plus the 16 oz travel water?

Is there a place to buy a travel CPAP with humidifier that won't cost close to $1000? And if I were to buy one of those, how would that affect my insurance paying for the big one since I wouldn't be using it for these travels? Our long car trip this summer will be about 11 days and cruise will be 15 days.

I know I can't be the only one traveling with these machines; just trying to work out how to travel the best way with one.

THANK YOU for your help!
CPAP since Jan 2021
Respironics Dream Station w/ humidifier
Dreamwear nasal pillows mask
Central KY

Pugsy

Re: Travel with CPAP - bags, etc

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 31, 2021 9:37 am

Insurance will pay for only one machine so it won't pay for a travel machine as well.
Not to mention that most insurance won't pay for a travel machine even if they aren't already paying for a machine.

Quit worrying about distilled water and just use bottled water that you can drink. It's not life or death to not use distilled water.

Most travel machines don't have any or very good humidification. Your nose may not like not having enough moisture in the cpap air.
Might consider doing an experiment with your current machine with humidifier off and no water in the chamber to see how your nose reacts. That might make the decision about travel machines for you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 am

To elaborate: using distilled water isn't recommended for any health-type reason, it just prevents residue from building up on the heating plate in the humidifier. So use any source of clean water, then in the morning, dump it out and dry the plate. I did this on many a trip BC (before covid).
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 31, 2021 12:00 pm

As for the hose management, I found that duck tape and stretchy headbands work fine.
The tape carefully peels off most hotel headboards without damage.
Both can squeeze in anywhere, and can be found in dollar stores, should they be forgotten.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Mon May 31, 2021 1:11 pm

Hi CindyLooWho,

"Is there a better bag?"

I don't know if Philips Respironics still sell this bag –

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFwh7loGTNo

– this clip is dated 2014. You could call PR and/ or do some searching on the 'net. You might even find it on eBay.

You will note that the divisions inside the bag in the clip are placed to suit the model range that came before the DreamStation – the Sixty series (460, 560, 760, 960). But it seems to me that re-arranging the internal padding to accommodate the newer machine would be do-able.

Btw, if i can add one other piece of advice: do not ever check-in your machine for any kind of air travel. At all times, keep it with you.

Apart from the possibility of 'you arrive in Seattle; your bags arrive in San Diego', if you saw how bags are handled once they are out of your sight ...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 31, 2021 2:17 pm

Aren't you traveling by plane? How do you propose to bring a 16 oz bottle of distilled water on board a plane given today's security measures? Or are you checking your CPAP bag? Traveling by car is simple. Just pack your distilled water somewhere in the car, hopefully far away from your CPAP bag.

NEVER, EVER check your CPAP bag when flying. You risk damage and loss. Carry on only. It does not count in your carry on limit in the US.

And you should NOT be carrying water in your CPAP bag. If it leaks, it could ruin your machine. If you MUST carry distilled water (and as noted already, it's not necessary) put it in your checked luggage, not in your CPAP bag. Wet clothes will dry. Wet electronics are toast.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 31, 2021 4:27 pm

CyndiLooWho wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 am
I traveled with the machine, hose, mask/headgear, travel wipes, lip balm, hose cozy, and the the folding arm that elevates the hose above my head, and I would not have been able to add anything else bigger than a few sheets of paper.
Just my opinion -

- Distilled water - any potable water is fine

- Travel wipes - pick up a box of alcohol swabs (used for needle injections) at any drugstore. They are individually wrapped and are very small. One for each day of a trip will fit easily in a tiny corner. I wipe a full face mask with one, so they are plenty big enough to wipe nasal pillows. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Steri ... /934213386

- Hose hanger - your mask has the attachment point on top of the head. It's very easy to manage the hose without any accouterments. Think through how to manage the hose and begin practicing before a trip start. I've used a wide variety of masks for years, slept in all positions, and never needed a device to help with hose management.

- Checking CPAP equipment bag on flights - do not do this. Always carry it with you. Put it in a corner of the overhead bin and watch out for a lout trying to move it around or trying to throw a heavy bag on top of it.

- Everything you need to carry should now fit safely in the bag.

If you are not convinced, have a look at this backpack. Who knows what you will like - https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Med-CPAP ... ef=sr_1_10
CyndiLooWho wrote:
The machine has been a gamechanger for us as a couple; for the first time in a decade, my husband sleeps in our bed all night instead of being driven off by my snoring.
Great success story!

CyndiLooWho

Post by CyndiLooWho » Mon May 31, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for the responses.

FTR, I wouldn't consider checking my CPAP ever. I've personally watched my checked bag fly off a luggage tram and roll over and over and over from the airport window. But you can take a single bottle of distilled water in your CPAP carryon as a medical necessity, at least as far as I've been able to research with TSA. Trying to work out how to add that to my bag.

I do absolutely have to have the humidifier due to allergies. No humidifier makes a very unhappy nose and throat. I didn't think about using clean tap water, because I thought it was a no-no. I do bring a jug of distilled water in the car; my concern was for flying when a grocery trip might not be feasible. Looks like that might not be a worry.

I will research that other Dreamstation bag. I've seen reviews that it doesn't work well with the current Dreamstation hose attachment, but can look at it more. I'm a little surprised not to see some good, padded bags available.

My insurance won't cover a travel unit. However, it does require me to meet a minimum usage for 23 nights a month until my insurance paid unit pays out. My question was more if I bought a Dreamstation Go, how would my insurance know I was compliant with my therapy, just opting not to take the huge unit on trips. I guess that's a question specific to my insurer. We travel enough that I might allocate my year end bonus to a travel specific machine, so I need to figure out how that affects coverage for the primary machine.

I figured longtime users would have some good advice, and I thank you!
CPAP since Jan 2021
Respironics Dream Station w/ humidifier
Dreamwear nasal pillows mask
Central KY

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon May 31, 2021 9:00 pm

CyndiLooWho wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:20 pm
FTR, I wouldn't consider checking my CPAP ever.
Never ever.
CyndiLooWho wrote:
But you can take a single bottle of distilled water in your CPAP carryon as a medical necessity, at least as far as I've been able to research with TSA.
That is correct. Having flown recently we were surprised to come across a beta test xray scanner where we were told NOT to take anything out of our bags. So surprised to see this.

But if/when you do have to take out cpap, laptop, etc. you should point out there is distilled water in the bag.
CyndiLooWho wrote:
I didn't think about using clean tap water, because I thought it was a no-no.
Many here don't realize how much tap water varies from place to place, city to city, etc. I always keep a bottle of distilled with my cpap - wrapped securely in a plastic bag and stored in the low side of my carry on bag.

You don't have to have a special 'cpap' bag for the cpap. I use a carry on bag in which I bring anything and everything for my cpap, including a power strip, outlet adapters, and anything that I use on or for my cpap. Including my meds which are also exempt.

You should NOT put a toothbrush or toothpaste in there cuz then they could argue it is no longer an exempt bag, put that in your other carryon. But meds, cpap, distilled, and all things cpap related and I've not had a problem. I only put the 1 bottle of distilled tho. If/when I feel I may need more I wrap that and put it in a checked bag.

There are posts on here with a 'Medical' luggage tag you can print out - tho it is not required.
Cpap.com - the forum sponsor also sells a 'Medical' luggage tag.

I prefer to use my every day cpap over a travel cpap. I am familiar with it and how it operates and for those who are on compliance or have insurance qualifications I would recommend using the issued cpap to avoid any problems.

For hose mgt I have used a hair scrunchie hung on the bed frame I stick the hose thru.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/medica ... -equipment
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:26 pm
It's okay....that is why we are here...to learn...not to pile on and beat a dead horse to further death.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:20 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:00 pm
I prefer to use my every day cpap over a travel cpap. I am familiar with it and how it operates
+1

Due to the severity of my OSA, I don't trust switching back and forth to a different algorithm. Even more so when traveling. It's good to be at your best when away from home.

Now, if your condition is relatively mild and treated well with low pressures, that's a different story.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:13 pm

First, hose managment. When I used to travel with my full-size machine (more on THAT later!), I used the Hose Boss, with Command Adhesive velcro. It worked well, easily pulling off and on from home and other places and the Command Adhesive removed cleanly from headboards and walls while traveling.

We have sailed multiple times with Viking. When I used my full-size machine, our travel agent let them know I needed distilled water ahead of time and usually it was waiting when we arrived, always by the time the cabin was turned down the first evening. Viking also has plugs by the bed, no need for the extension cord my husband always packs with his machine, that we need to drape along the cabin floor with other cruise lines! The only thing I don't remember (since we haven't traveled in so long...pandemic!) is whether the outlets next to the beds need the travel adapters that are part of our CPAP travel kit.

My husband started carrying on his full-size machine after losing it in his checked luggage for about 12 hours...he learned his lesson! I always carried mine on, but after a horrible experience in the Copenhagen airport, when I was told that even though, yes it WAS a medical device and yes it WAS clearly marked as such, it also did count as a THIRD carry-on item and only TWO were allowed. Combine it into the others or check it! (Very different from the US, where it is definitely exempt from the 2 carry-on items) Well, I was able to shove it into my carry-on, but as soon as I got home I ordered an AirMini. I can pack it in a soft quilted lunch box, along with the mask, a few DreamPorts, power supply, hanger, travel adapter, and silicone eye mask. I chose the AirMini because it has the same algorithms as my full-size machine so I can set it up exactly the same. The lunchbox is small enough that it fits in my personal item, either a backpack or totebag, depending on the trip. It comes with an HME, but I cut that out when I hacked the hose so I could use my preferred Bleep mask. For me, it's worth not having the HME to have the Bleep, because I had so much trouble with other masks (and actually hated the P10!). And my hack significantly reduced the noise level of the AirMini.

I will say, we had traveled through other international airports and I'd had no issues. Perhaps someone was having a bad day, perhaps they just followed the rules more stringently at that airport, I don't know. But I wasn't willing to take my chances again. Oh, and to make things worse...all my husband had was HIS CPAP...he could have just taken mine as his second item, but he walked onto the plane and LEFT ME! He still hasn't heard the end of that! :lol:

Good luck, and enjoy your travels...especially that Viking cruise! That is our favorite cruise line. Can't wait for OUR next one!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:23 pm

booksfan wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:13 pm
First, hose managment. When I used to travel with my full-size machine (more on THAT later!), I used the Hose Boss, with Command Adhesive velcro. It worked well, easily pulling off and on from home and other places and the Command Adhesive removed cleanly from headboards and walls while traveling.
Command Hooks, TY. I was drawing a blank and couldn't remember the name.
SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:03 am
For some years now I have been using 3m command w/small wire hooks. Placing the hose thru a hair scrunchy and the scrunchy onto the hook. Squeezing the wire hook helps to hold on to the scrunchy nicely. I keep several of the hooks with my travel bag to use and some painters tape should that be needed.

Very small and unobtrusive but also very affordable and can be easily found at Amazon, HD, Target, and truck stops among many other places.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Command-Wire ... s/16783496

The above link had some troubles...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Command-Clea ... thena=true

Extension cord, a power strip, and multi-outlet adapters are a must in the cpap bag. Most hotel rooms have both outlets near the bed occupied with a light and an alarm clock. The extension cord is in case there isn't an outlet on the other side of the bed. Haven't used it often but it has come in handy a time or two. Esp. when visiting friends who also have things plugged into the outlets.

The cruise lines we've been on always prefer to provide you with their extension cord - it's a fire hazard thing they worry about. The last thing you want is to cause a fire on a ship. I think the steward would be the first to point that out. And as mentioned "Distilled Water" is never a problem on a cruise ship.

For the "Medical" bag exemption - that applies ONLY for flights which originate or terminate in the USA - ALL others have their own rules.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:22 pm

Regarding hose management.
I settled on a really simple solution. I have a pillow that I sleep on, and I use a second pillow standing up against the headboard. I route the hose behind that pillow, and then over the top of the pillow. I can easily adjust the length of the hose that comes over the top by letting more hose go behind the pillow.
This has worked really well for me. Hotels are always willing to supply additional pillows if needed.
You can always try it for a couple of nights at home prior to travel.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

Tntmoore

Post by Tntmoore » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 am

I've been using a CPAP for about two years now. Lifesaver, gamechanger, and enabled me to keep working versus retiring at 67!

Travel: I travel frequently for work. I have a ResMed AirSense 10; Came with a small carrybag/briefcase that slips over the handles on my carryon. The airlines do not count it as a carry on and seem to easily recognize it as a CPAP/medical device. I see many people with them.

Water: At home I use my reverse osmosis water instead of distilled water. Saves $ and trips to the grocery store. We do have well-water with mineral content, so the RO is a must.

On the road: I use either the free bottled water that most hotels provide, or in a pinch I just use the tap water. I haven't had any issues.

Once I forgot to pack my AC/DC convertor. My laptop charger wasn't compatible. That WAS a miserable trip (reminder of how much I depend on the CPAP). I ordered a back-up from Amazon for about $35. Works great. One less thing to worry about packing.

Hotels: They like to put the alarm clocks and old fashioned phones next to the bed. I just move them out of the way if needed. Unplug them if needed.

Now I see lots of fellow CPAP users in the airport. Once we filled up the complete row on a Delta flight. Funny.

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:22 am

CyndiLooWho wrote:
The bag that came with my Dreamstation is stuffed full, before adding a 16 oz bottle of distilled water, which I will need for our December flight and our international trip. It also doesn't have a lot of padding. I traveled with the machine, hose, mask/headgear, travel wipes, lip balm, hose cozy, and the the folding arm that elevates the hose above my head, and I would not have been able to add anything else bigger than a few sheets of paper. I realize that I can buy distilled water most places, but for a quick weekend flight I don't want to have to seek out a grocery for CPAP water. Viking will provide distilled water for our cruise, but I don't know about the 2 nights pre and 2 nights post in our start / end cities.

There has to be a better travel solution! Is there a better bag that will hold all of my stuff plus the 16 oz travel water?

Is there a place to buy a travel CPAP with humidifier that won't cost close to $1000? And if I were to buy one of those, how would that affect my insurance paying for the big one since I wouldn't be using it for these travels? Our long car trip this summer will be about 11 days and cruise will be 15 days.

I know I can't be the only one traveling with these machines; just trying to work out how to travel the best way with one.
I've been using the Dreamstation for 4 years. The standard bag it came with is not a great travel option. I personally found the Dremstation too cumbersome to travel with, especially for business travel when I need to travel light (22' rollerboard + briefcase or backpack and have to pack a laptop and other medical supplies related to my insulin pump). The Dreamstation even without the humidifier requires you to pack a dedicated power brick. Philips sells a more compact travel case so you can take the main unit w/o the humidifier, and it comes with a "smaller" power brick, but it didnt interest me since it was another bag to haul:

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/ ... -accessory

My preference was to find a travel machine that could fit into my existing backpack/duffel/briefcase. I purchased the Dreamstation Go (DSG) travel machine about 3-years ago and has been great; I cross-shopped it against the Resmed AirMini at the time. The DSG doesn't need it's own dedicated travel brick, just a regular power cord. I found this to be a major benefit which is a consideration when you're trying to balance bulk and weight especially on shorter trips. I zip up the Dreamstation Go in its "small travel kit". My mask, power cord, and the 12mm hose go into the soft washable pouch. I toss the travel kit and the soft pouch that came with the kit into my backpack, briefcase, or duffel bag. You can purchase the DSG from CPAP.com for ~$500, which is a great price, this may mean a new unit is coming from Philips, but who knows. I paid around $720 for it at the time. The heated humidifier I've seen for sale as low as $200, but there is no heated hose for the DSG. I don't have the humidifier, I'm half tempted to get it but thus far it hasn't been an issue for me without humidification. YMMV.

Small DSG travel kit:

Washable bag for mask, hose, and power cord:

Medium DSG travel kit which can accommodate the DSG and either the humidifier or the dedicated DSG battery:

I hope this helps.