15 days with ResMed AutoSense CPAP: Seeking Advice on Mouthbreathing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
savemefrombhindi

Re: 15 days with ResMed AutoSense CPAP: Seeking Advice on Mouthbreathing

Post by savemefrombhindi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm

Felt like I was sleeping with a military gas mask on and didn’t like that claustrophobic sensation
My first few nights were terrible with F20. Now, though, I have got used to it.

At the time, when I began the rental, Res Med India did not have F30. Now, they do have AirFit™ F30 Sys-APAC. Is that the version you have been using?
ResMed Autosense 10; AirfitF20 and N20

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:09 am

savemefrombhindi wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm
Felt like I was sleeping with a military gas mask on and didn’t like that claustrophobic sensation
My first few nights were terrible with F20. Now, though, I have got used to it.

At the time, when I began the rental, Res Med India did not have F30. Now, they do have AirFit™ F30 Sys-APAC. Is that the version you have been using?
F30 Sys-APAC

That listing info must be for India but I looked it up and it looks identical to what I use, so yes that’s it

perfstud07

Post by perfstud07 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Re: mouth breathing:
I came across tutorials and videos about taping your mouth closed. I've been using medical tape and it's helped a great deal. I ordered some transparent tape marketed for mouthbreathing sleeping.

36900A H5i
Airfit P10 nose pillows

savemefrombhindi

Post by savemefrombhindi » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks for these advices and I apologise for the belated reply. I had to reset my laptop and lost a lot of user info.

I wanted to know whether there is any way in which one can assess the extent of noise from the CPAP and whether CPAP is working well from OSCAR Data. The noise from the Airsense 10 Autoset machine has started affecting for the last three weeks or so and i am waking up a few times because of the noise.

But the thing is that I am autistic and some of my sensory issues have worsened in the last month (possibly due to a change of job and city) and I have become more sensitive than normal to sound. I thought my refrigerator was noisy but a friend came and checked that it was not. My heightened sensitivity had made it intolerable. I do not know whether it is the same with the CPAP. Initially, I was not too perturbed but my AHI has jumped from being between 1-2 to around 4-5 for the last few days and I have been very sleepy in the afternoon these days, much like how it used to be before the use of CPAP.

So, is there way to verify whether my CPAP is working fine from the OSCAR Data or whether the noise is just a manifestation of my heightened sensitivity to sound.

thanks

onward60

Post by onward60 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:41 pm

savemefrombhindi wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:04 pm

But the thing is that I am autistic and some of my sensory issues have worsened in the last month (possibly due to a change of job and city) and I have become more sensitive than normal to sound. I thought my refrigerator was noisy but a friend came and checked that it was not. My heightened sensitivity had made it intolerable. I do not know whether it is the same with the CPAP. Initially, I was not too perturbed but my AHI has jumped from being between 1-2 to around 4-5 for the last few days and I have been very sleepy in the afternoon these days, much like how it used to be before the use of CPAP.

So, is there way to verify whether my CPAP is working fine from the OSCAR Data or whether the noise is just a manifestation of my heightened sensitivity to sound.

thanks
Have you tried a sound machine with white noise to mask the sounds?

Last edited by onward60 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble finding a mask due to facial nerve pain. Currently trying N30 nasal cushion.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:27 pm

Minor suggestion on posting etiquette:

Please don't quote the post immediately above your current reply.

Unnecessary quoting makes the topic cluttered and harder to read.

Thank you so much.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Good machines don't wake you with noise, so if yours is doing that, go back to wherever you got it and get a replacement. Unfortunately someone else did that many times but the batch was apparently bad and all of them had the noise!

Good luck.

savemefrombhindi

Post by savemefrombhindi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:46 am

Hi

It has been a while since I last posted here. I have been now on CPAP [ResMed Auto Sense 10 with Full Face Mask] for more than a year and my life has dramatically improved ever since, especially with respect to the brain fog, cognitive decline and fatigue that I had developed by the time I began with CPAP.

However, there seems to be a slight regression in the recent weeks. Because of sleeping on the side for more than a year, I have developed sore shoulders, very painful biceps. I am autistic and have always been sensitive to pain and struggled with back and neck pain.
First I tried sleeping on the left side which was much better, and then, began sleeping on the right. Now, both shoulders and the upper arms have become very sore, and I can barely manage more than 4-5 minutes of sleeping on the side.

I have begun to sleep in a supine position and even when I start on my side, within minutes, I am back in a supine position. Now, after close to three weeks of sleeping in a supine position, I can see a clear trend

a) AHI is pretty much the same but what is surprising is that the extent of Clear Air Apnea [on OSCAR] has marginally gone up.

b) I get this feeling of something in my throat when I lay down on the bed in a supine position and it is taking me more time to fall asleep after getting on the bed]

c) While apart from one night when I woke up feeling being choked, I have not had the same degree of difficulty in sleeping or breathing that I had developed before I moved to CPAP.

d) I am waking up with the kind of dry mouth and a mild headache that I used to have earlier and daytime sleepiness has also gone up, albeit it is not as bad as it used to be.

e) Average Pressure has gone up from mid 12 cmH2O to mid 14. In fact, on most nights, OSCAR shows that I am hitting the max pressure of 15 cm quite frequently. As you can see from the OSCAR images for the last two nights, the pressure is hovering close to 15.

I need advice on few points

a) Are there ways in which we can avoid shoulder and bicep pain while sleeping on the sides

b) Is it likely that because the pressure is higher than earlier that my throat and mouth is getting dry and I am waking up earlier than usual.

or

c) is it more likely that maximum pressure of 15 is not adequate, and therefore, I need to have higher pressure since I seem to be touching the maximum pressure mark much more frequently now?

I would be very grateful for any suggestion that you may have.

thanks
Attachments
screenshot-20221217-225516.png
screenshot-20221217-225516.png (150.05 KiB) Viewed 685 times
screenshot-20221217-225456.png
screenshot-20221217-225456.png (140.92 KiB) Viewed 685 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:03 pm

When you are on your back you need more pressure than the 15 cm where your max is limited to.
This is quite common for a lot of people. It is well known that OSA can worsen and people need more pressure when on their backs than they might be needing when on their sides.

You are snoring a lot and having substantial FLs even when pressure is pegged out at 15 cm.

You need to increase the max.

And sorry, but I don't have any fool proof solutions for reducing pain when side sleeping....I can't lay on my left shoulder at all and I used to be able to. I want to stay off my back because when I am supine it greatly increases my back pain and that will wake me up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:08 pm

savemefrombhindi wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:46 am
a) Are there ways in which we can avoid shoulder and bicep pain while sleeping on the sides
Using the correct side-sleeping posture is very important. Here is an article describing the position - https://www.healthline.com/health/side-sleeper
savemefrombhindi wrote:
b) I get this feeling of something in my throat when I lay down on the bed in a supine position and it is taking me more time to fall asleep after getting on the bed]

c) While apart from one night when I woke up feeling being choked, I have not had the same degree of difficulty in sleeping or breathing that I had developed before I moved to CPAP.

d) I am waking up with the kind of dry mouth and a mild headache that I used to have earlier and daytime sleepiness has also gone up, albeit it is not as bad as it used to be.

e) Average Pressure has gone up from mid 12 cmH2O to mid 14. In fact, on most nights, OSCAR shows that I am hitting the max pressure of 15 cm quite frequently. As you can see from the OSCAR images for the last two nights, the pressure is hovering close to 15.
It is possible that some of these problems are caused by your chin dipping down toward your chest. When the chin dips down, the neck curves. This tends to crimp the airway. This can be avoided by wearing a foam, cervical collar such as - https://www.amazon.com/Cervical-Collar- ... ef=sr_1_11
savemefrombhindi wrote:
I am waking up with the kind of dry mouth
This is an indication you are mouth-breathing. If you are using a nasal-only mask, the therapeutic pressure could be escaping between your lips.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:14 pm

When my old bed crapped out on me, I recall waking and feeling like I got hit by a truck.

Then I went away for a long holiday weekend and felt great upon waking.

Then I returned home and woke feeling like I got hit by a truck.

this is my way of suggesting that if you were planning any travel or even an overnight getaway somewhere, pay close attention to how you feel when you wake up. It may or may not actually be your shoulder that is the problem.

Sure costs less than jumping into buying a new bed.

I was partly unemployed at the time and went with a 3” mattress topper that bought me a few years.

hth

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:27 pm

This video is actually helpful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkYtORD ... zona%2CLLC

I think the main reason I was having irritation from this mask is because I was not putting it on first then lifting the straps over my head. I was doing the opposite, straps first then mask. I think that has a lot to do with how it is fitted on your face. Also don't make the mask too tight, very common and makes sense right because you don't want leaks. The thing needs to blow up like a balloon and it will seal to your face.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:31 pm

savemefrombhindi wrote:

i'm not sure that this will work for you. i know it works for me. my thought is that the aching i'd get in my shoulders from side sleeping was related to inflammation. so i decided to take some steps to try to rid myself of that inflammation. what i do is make use of ginger candy as ginger is known for it's anti-inflammatory properties. i also take turmeric for the same reason.

the ginger candy-https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IO2K91Q?re ... nger+candy

-doesn't have to be a 1 lb bag, i just like to have a bunch on hand. i try to ingest around 4-5 of these each day.

the turmeric can be found at any drugstore. i use the 500 mg dose, 2x in the morning then 2x an hour before bedtime.

this has helped me tremendously as long as i remember to get that ginger down my neck each day!

hope it helps.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:22 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:31 pm
i try to ingest around 4-5 of these each day.
Are they going to rot your teeth out?
Ingredients: Cane sugar, glucose syrup, ginger (16%)

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:53 pm

@ OP - Have you considered mouth taping?

When I sleep, my muscles relax and the mouth falls open. HORRIBLE dry mouth. In my case, solved with taping. DO NOT believe some of the horror stories you may read about things like vomiting in your sleep and aspirating the vomit. How often do you vomit in your sleep??

There are several types of tape. Experimentation is the key. I happen to use https://www.amazon.com/3M-Durapore-Silk ... 1477&psc=1 which is only $5 for a roll of 10 yards.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask