Is SleepyHead still OK to use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Is SleepyHead still OK to use?

Post by surf_rower » Fri May 07, 2021 8:37 pm

I was away from the forum for awhile, spending my time on a breast cancer forum but now I don't need that as much, yay.
When I got back here, everyone seems to be using OSCAR.
I have SleepyHead, is that still considered a good diagnostic? Or is OSCAR picking up more patterns and I should switch?
I'm not having any problems, still on same 6.0 setting for 8 years, low AHI, low leaks, same CPAP brick.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

palerider

Re: Is SleepyHead still OK to use?

Post by palerider » Fri May 07, 2021 9:10 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:37 pm
I was away from the forum for awhile, spending my time on a breast cancer forum but now I don't need that as much, yay.
When I got back here, everyone seems to be using OSCAR.
I have SleepyHead, is that still considered a good diagnostic? Or is OSCAR picking up more patterns and I should switch?
I'm not having any problems, still on same 6.0 setting for 8 years, low AHI, low leaks, same CPAP brick.
Sleepyhead is dead, murdered in it's sleep by it's creator.

Oscar has fixed a lot of the bugs that are crawling through sleepyhead.

You should switch.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi, congrats on being able to be here now!

Oscar is a newer tweaked version of SH, so has more comprehensive data, and yes you should switch, but I don't know if your 'brick' will work with it... what model of which machine do you use and have you ever tried an auto vs fixed? Also you'd need an SD card (from anywhere) to fit in the machine if it has someplace to take it (I guess with SH it did).

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 08, 2021 6:08 am

surf_rower wrote:
same CPAP brick.
A ' brick' is what we usually use to refer to a cpap that doesn't produce any data, which means neither sleepyhead nor the more capable Oscar will do any good.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 08, 2021 10:55 am

SleepHead still works for a lot of people. It does have some unfixed bugs in it that may or may not be a problem.
If it breaks...there won't be any fixes coming.
OSCAR is based off SleepyHead but it is more stable and less buggy. It's not perfect but it seems to function faster and without as many bugs.

It hurts nothing to continue to use SleepyHead but eventually you are most likely going to have it either break or you will end up with a new model machine that isn't compatible with SH and will be forced to get and use OSCAR because OSCAR will be kept updated and made compatible with new model machines. Right now they are working on making it compatible with the newly released DreamStation 2 and when ResMed releases the upcoming new AirSense 11....it will also likely need to be updated to be compatible.
Seems like every time there has ever been a new model change there is always a new data file change as well and old software won't work with new models of machines.

I suggest getting OSCAR and playing with it. You don't have to remove SleepyHead either plus during the install of OSCAR it will ask you if you want the SH date imported. Pretty painless.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun May 09, 2021 10:25 am

Julie wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 pm
Hi, congrats on being able to be here now!

Oscar is a newer tweaked version of SH, so has more comprehensive data, and yes you should switch, but I don't know if your 'brick' will work with it... what model of which machine do you use and have you ever tried an auto vs fixed? Also you'd need an SD card (from anywhere) to fit in the machine if it has someplace to take it (I guess with SH it did).
Thanks, it does feel good to come out the other side of rads!
My machine model should be in my sig, added when I realized the other method no longer worked.
My brick does work with SH. Probably both need replacing soon.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am

palerider wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:08 am
surf_rower wrote:
same CPAP brick.
A ' brick' is what we usually use to refer to a cpap that doesn't produce any data, which means neither sleepyhead nor the more capable Oscar will do any good.
Oh oops, I thought it just meant a big heavy old thing.
My SH does seem to work, unless it is lying to me!

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun May 09, 2021 10:30 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:55 am

I suggest getting OSCAR and playing with it. You don't have to remove SleepyHead either plus during the install of OSCAR it will ask you if you want the SH date imported. Pretty painless.
Thanks for the good info Pugsy. The SH does seem to work, but you're right I should go ahead and back it up with OSCAR. My patterns have hardly changed in 8 years, unless a lightning flash wakes me up or I'm trying a new mask, so I don't check it very often, but I probably should.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun May 09, 2021 10:49 am

surf_rower wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am
palerider wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:08 am
surf_rower wrote:
same CPAP brick.
Oh oops, I thought it just meant a big heavy old thing.
My SH does seem to work, unless it is lying to me!
Ah, the machine you've got listed doesn't actually tell us anything about what machine you've got, though the "pro" indicates it does have data (and thus not a 'brick' in forum parlance. Respironics slapped "Remstar" on pretty much everything they made for a couple of decades :) Sometime when you've got the water tank out of it, turn it over, andl look for the REF or MODEL number, that'll tell us what it is.

There's a chart: :) http://cpaptalk.com/wiki/index.php/CPAP_models

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun May 09, 2021 12:03 pm

REF is 450P.
Thanks, did not know they hid it! :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 09, 2021 12:11 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:03 pm
REF is 450P.
Thanks, did not know they hid it! :)
System One model...50 series so the very first model in the System One line. (there is/was a later 60 series line)
Might remove the useless "remstar" word out of your signature line and replace it with system one. It would be more helpful in the future.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun May 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:11 pm

System One model...50 series so the very first model in the System One line. (there is/was a later 60 series line)
Might remove the useless "remstar" word out of your signature line and replace it with system one. It would be more helpful in the future.
Done! Thanks. Now I have to think of a name for my non-brick that reflects its bricklike demeanor. Cinder block? Can't believe I travel with this thing.