Curious about cleaning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CariceHouten

Curious about cleaning

Post by CariceHouten » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:23 am

Hey everybody. First of all, seems like a great group here.

I’m 2.5 weeks into my cpap and it’s been great so far. Have had a bit of issues with seal (full face, beard). But that’s for another day.

My question is , I can be a tad lazy. And when he mentioned cleaning the machine, mask and everything else regularly. In my head, I laughed.

But. I see most of you here seem pretty adamant on the cleaning. Should I change my attitude? Or are there others who feel the way I do?

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Pugsy on Mon May 24, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed spam links that were posted after initial post. Sneaky spammer.

Julie

Re: Curious about cleaning

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 am

Most only clean the mask (not necessarily the whole apparatus) with baby wipes and/or soap and water weekly (or less). It's not necessary to clean the hose (ever, unless you see something in it) but you might want to do headgear once in a while (few mos., yrly, whatever). Wipe the machine, change filters regularly and relax. Do not shell out for ozone machines - they're not only not good for you but will invaiidate machine warranties because they can wreck the insides.

Many men have had problems with beards and leaks, so if you feel that 'fits', consider shaving.

ups4

Post by ups4 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:22 am

I've found that a cleaning routine varies by how much of a germaphobe someone is.
It's a personal thing, to say the least, but from what I've seen around, most people go overboard with cleaning.

As Julie said, any of the so-called "cleaning machines" do not clean anything and there is no proof that they even sanitize as they claim. Please don't waste your money thinking that they will replace good old soap and water...which is all any of the manufacturers recommend.

I try to remember to use a CPAP wipe or unscented baby wipe daily on the mask cushion, but it's almost always less than that. I do clean the humidifier reservoir about every other week, but just top it off every couple of days with distilled water. I have two hoses and on the rare occasion I decide to clean them I take it in the shower with me and swish hot water and soap, rinse and hang to dry while using the spare.

I've been following this routine for many years with no issues at all.

EDIT to add, I also have a full beard and have used all types of masks. I find the nasal pillow or nasal masks work best for me. Currently, I'm using the ResMed AirFit N30i and find it very comfortable and little to no leak issues.

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:02 am

CariceHouten wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:23 am
welcome to the zoo!

i have two traits that dovetail nicely here. i'm cheap and i'm lazy! :lol:

so not much cleaning on my part. every morning, part of my routine is to wipe my mask with a baby wipe. this helps get rid of any oily buildup and i think it's part of why i can get years out of my p10 nasal pillow mask.

i don't fuss with my humidifier tank. i just fill it up with distilled water(lazy wins over cheap!) when the tub gets empty.

filters i change out whenever i think of it but certainly not on any schedule.

i feel that what a particular user wants to do about cleaning is up to them. i'm not a germophobe.

as my mother often said "you eat a peck of dirt before you die anyway".

eta: dog reminded me-i wash my headband when it gets loose as washing/drying helps shrink it.
Last edited by zonker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am

CariceHouten wrote:

But. I see most of you here seem pretty adamant on the cleaning. Should I change my attitude? Or are there others who feel the way I do?

Huh?

No, most of us are not adamant about the cleaning?

Not sure what posts you're reading.
  • I, and many here, *never* wash the hose
  • I, and many here, wash my mask nasal pillows every few weeks (when I remember)
  • I never wash my P30i head strap, which is an extension of the hose
  • I wash my humidifier tank every few weeks (when I remember)
And don't get sucked into buying an ozone cleaner.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:54 am

CariceHouten wrote:

I’m 2.5 weeks into my cpap and it’s been great so far. Have had a bit of issues with seal (full face, beard). But that’s for another day.

My question is , I can be a tad lazy. And when he mentioned cleaning the machine, mask and everything else regularly. In my head, I laughed.

Thanks everyone!
I don't know where you get that idea........

Here's a little reading for you:

viewtopic.php?p=567264#p567264

Basically, around here on this forum it's the "whatever you feel comfortable with" philosophy.

After all, it's YOUR germs and the ones that are already in your house.

Personally, I'm a minimalist.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

KingSnore

Post by KingSnore » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm

I do weekly cleaning. Fill the kitchen sink with warm water, and use baby shampoo. I'll let the water chamber, tubing and cushion sit in there for around 2 hours every Saturday, and then be sure to let air dry for 10-12 hours before bed. I am bad about changing the filters.

For the first 3 years or so, I would empty the water chamber and rinse with tap water to dry every day. But for the past few years, I've just topped off the water chamber each day, not bothering to empty it out. I figure, I saw mineral buildup on the first chamber I had, where I was emptying the chamber daily and using the tap to rinse it, so maybe I'll get less buildup just using the distilled water and ignoring the tap altogether.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm

As previously stated, simply clean to the level you are comfortable with. When I first stated, I washed everything once a week because that was what the respiratory therapist I was working with said she did with her and her husband's equipment. Now, I wash ours every week or two (masks, strap pads and water reservoir). I never wash the hoses unless one of us gets sick (bronchitis, etc.). Then, I will that person's hose once they have recovered. For clarification, my wife and I both use a machine when we sleep.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:11 pm

It's all over the map.

Some people don't clean at all.

Some people use a new mask every night.

No one seems to be dying from either approach. Pick what makes you happy.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:44 am

Find yourself a happy medium between clean freak and slob.
You know what works for you. No guilt--just do your own thing. We won't tell.
Dealers often push for frequent cleaning, as it creates wear on the parts,
meaning more money for them.
Machines touted to "clean", do not clean anything but your wallet.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am

KingSnore wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm
Fill the kitchen sink with warm water, and use baby shampoo. I'll let the water chamber, tubing and cushion sit in there for around 2 hours every Saturday, and then be sure to let air dry for 10-12 hours before bed
What are you cleaning out of the tubing and water chamber?

How much pollen, dust and bacteria get in this equipment during the 10 hours it is out drying?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:56 am

CariceHouten wrote:
And when he mentioned cleaning the machine, mask and everything else regularly. In my head, I laughed.
Your response was appropriate.

KingSnore

Post by KingSnore » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am
KingSnore wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm
Fill the kitchen sink with warm water, and use baby shampoo. I'll let the water chamber, tubing and cushion sit in there for around 2 hours every Saturday, and then be sure to let air dry for 10-12 hours before bed
What are you cleaning out of the tubing and water chamber?

How much pollen, dust and bacteria get in this equipment during the 10 hours it is out drying?
Indeed, I would say do what feels right for you, and then if you start getting sick maybe reevaluate. I do not mind the level of cleaning I'm used to, but I'm aware it could merely be a psychological thing. *shrug*

I just appreciate the clean smell, getting the skin flakes and oils out etc. The times when I let the mask and tubing go longer periods between cleaning it doesn't smell as nice. If that's not something a person is sensitive to though...definitely understand not wanting to bother.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:13 pm

KingSnore wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 pm
definitely understand not wanting to bother.
It's more than that. At night, only filtered room air passes through the hose. During the day, the hose is in a clean drawer closed tightly. I would be concerned about the hose hanging out during the day to dry. Who knows what might enter the hose?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:13 pm
Who knows what might enter the hose?
the shadow knows!

bwa-ha-ha-ha!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe