Newbie Question about Mask Tightness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
orion260

Newbie Question about Mask Tightness

Post by orion260 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 am

Hi everyone,

I just started CPAP treatment a couple weeks ago, and I'm wondering how tight I'm supposed to have my mask on. I'm using an Airfit P30i mask, and what I'm finding is that I basically have to strap it on very loosely or else it gets painful around my nostrils (especially in that area in-between the two of them). Now, I would have thought that this would cause some serious leakage from the mask pillows, but from what I can tell, things have been pretty much fine on that front. My machine gives me that smiley face symbol when I look at the mask fit, and I don't really feel any air coming out except sometimes when I lie on my side, and I think that's coming from the vent on the front of the mask, not from the nostrils themselves.

One annoying thing about this though is that most of the time when I want to change sleeping positions I have to reach around to hold the mask in place so that it doesn't fall off because it's so loose. This obviously isn't ideal, but I really don't see how I can tighten the mask, since like I said, things get painful pretty quickly. Since I got the mask during covid, I wasn't able to try on a bunch of different ones, and I'm concerned about exchanging this one for a new one as the company only allows me one free exchange. Is there something I'm missing then with how I should be wearing this mask or is this a sign that it's basically not the right one for me?

Thanks in advance

HoseCrusher

Re: Newbie Question about Mask Tightness

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 pm

If you kiss someone and come away with broken teeth, you have kissed too hard...

Your mask is giving you the kiss of life all night long. It takes awhile to learn how to be kissed. A good exercise is to put some soothing music on and lay down and put your mask on. Once you get everything set, roll to the left, then to the right, then move your head up a little, and then down a little. By now you may find that you have to get up to use the bathroom, so do it. Now lay back down and get settled in again.

Eventually you will learn how to sleep all night being kissed by the kiss of life.

I think it is unreasonable to think you can simply put the mask on and have it be properly positioned all night regardless of your movement. Once you learn how to quickly adjust to various movements you will be set.

The best mask is the one that allows you to be kissed all night with minimum intervention. You wake up totally refreshed and without pain.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 pm

The best mask is the one that allows you to be kissed all night with minimum intervention. You wake up totally refreshed and without pain.
+1

very well said, indeed.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:42 pm

Look for fillting videos for your mask.
Then watch them.

orion260

Post by orion260 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 am

Cool, thanks for the replies. With regards to HoseCrusher's reply, should I understand then that this kind of need to readjust throughout the night is normal and not something I need to worry about? Or are you saying that I need to keep fiddling with the tightness of the mask until I can make it stay on relatively well without it hurting too much?

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Re-adjusting is normal and with time becomes automatic.

Given a choice of suffering pain or making a slight adjustment, I would avoid the pain.

MedTech

Post by MedTech » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:37 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Your mask is giving you the kiss of life all night long.

Eventually you will learn how to sleep all night being kissed by the kiss of life.

That’s a great description. You can’t deny the truth in it.

orion260

Post by orion260 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am

Okay, thanks! That clears thing up well.