Sleep Oxymeter Test

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zdas04

Sleep Oxymeter Test

Post by zdas04 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm

I've been using a CPAP for 10 years, and my last sleep study was 6 years ago (set the machine at 18 cmH2O). I've recently lost a BUNCH of weight (on purpose) and feel like the underlying problem was directly tied to my weight and that it may be gone now. I talked to my Dr. about it and we decided that I'd need another sleep study when my weight was finally below 200 lbs (91 kg). I'm there now and called my Dr. to set it up. Instead he scheduled me for a Sleep Oxymeter study. I'm having a great deal of difficulty seeing why I need this, but I'll go through with it. The question I can't get answered from either my Dr. or the DME provider is "do I wear my CPAP during the test or not?" Seems like this would be a reasonable question. With the CPAP on, we can see if it is at least enough pressure (but we won't see if it is appropriate to lower the pressure or stop using the thing at all). Without the CPAP the test would show if I still have the underlying condition. I have used the CPAP every night for 10 years (even when I was in the hospital for weight-loss surgery) and don't remember what sleeping without a tether feels like.

Has anyone had similar experiences and what did you end up doing?

HoseCrusher

Re: Sleep Oxymeter Test

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:22 am

If your goal is to see how well your CPAP is working for you... wear the CPAP during your test.

See if you can do 2 tests. One with and the other without.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:44 pm

But if your goal is to see whether you still need CPAP, don't use the machine during the test. I'd suggest you stop a week ahead of time to adjust to being "untethered."

You can buy an inexpensive recording oximeter and see how you're doing with or without the machine.

Like you, I'm puzzled why your doctor isn't ordering an actual sleep test. It's true that desats can be correlated with obstructive events, but obstructive events can certainly occur without desats.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:38 pm

zdas04 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm
Instead he scheduled me for a Sleep Oxymeter study.
There are better ways to do this. What is the exact model of the CPAP machine you are using?

klm49

Post by klm49 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:21 pm

zdas04 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm
I've been using a CPAP for 10 years, and my last sleep study was 6 years ago (set the machine at 18 cmH2O). I've recently lost a BUNCH of weight (on purpose) and feel like the underlying problem was directly tied to my weight and that it may be gone now. I talked to my Dr. about it and we decided that I'd need another sleep study when my weight was finally below 200 lbs (91 kg). I'm there now and called my Dr. to set it up. Instead he scheduled me for a Sleep Oxymeter study. I'm having a great deal of difficulty seeing why I need this, but I'll go through with it. The question I can't get answered from either my Dr. or the DME provider is "do I wear my CPAP during the test or not?" Seems like this would be a reasonable question. With the CPAP on, we can see if it is at least enough pressure (but we won't see if it is appropriate to lower the pressure or stop using the thing at all). Without the CPAP the test would show if I still have the underlying condition. I have used the CPAP every night for 10 years (even when I was in the hospital for weight-loss surgery) and don't remember what sleeping without a tether feels like.

Has anyone had similar experiences and what did you end up doing?
You need to get an answer on this from your Dr. Doing an overnight oximetry isn't going to tell him if you still have Sleep Apnea or not.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm