Anyone using a sleep oximeter?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thumper1947

Re: Anyone using a sleep oximeter?

Post by Thumper1947 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:13 pm

Mush,
If you do decide to look into the ring, here's a link to a comprehensive review of it that I would highly recommend. Mr Ticks Wellue ring review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAyaOlMtTs
I go to the gym every morning and I'd like to be able to see how the SPO2 reacts during a workout, but this ring is not really made for that. It would work for something like a treadmill, I think, but it's not really made for that. I work with weights and it couldn't take that kind of pressure. If you do get one and have any trouble figuring out how to integrate it with Oscar, put a post on here and I'll try to help. It took some trial and error to get it working in Oscar, but once there, it really integrates well with Oscar. I watched the Ticks review several times and it basically answers most of the questions you might have in setting it up. There are also other pulse oximeters out there, but this one worked out best for me and I don't regret getting it for a second.
Thumper
Mask: Dreamware FF
Machine: Resmed Autosense 10 APAP

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:47 pm

I would expect you might not have great O2 readings at night because your apnea is poorly treated. The pulse oximeter may show that, but the question is what do you need to do to bring AHI down to see improvements in your O2? Or if your O2 is good, will you give up on improving AHI?

Have you been able to access your data via Oscar? You mentioned a lot of leaking. Do you need any help with that?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:56 pm

Yes, I've been downloading my data on Oscar. The leaks (and everything else) is all over the map right now. Last night, the leakage was way down, under 3%, yet the AHI went way UP, over 12. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to get a better mask. I think I need consistency before I can get too excited about anything. And yes, if my SpO2 was good, I might need not even use the CPAP. I don't think that that's going to happen, though, unless my sleep study was seriously flawed. That's why I want to monitor O2, to see what's going on from all different angles.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:14 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:47 pm

Have you been able to access your data via Oscar? You mentioned a lot of leaking. Do you need any help with that?
he has two threads going.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:58 pm

I find a pulse oximeter a very valuable piece of equipment to have. I deal with afib at times and occasionally a less than restful sleep can be tracked to an irregular heart rhythm. It does not diagnose sleep apnea, but it can provide some interesting information if your sleep is compromised over a period of time.

In addition we have added the pulse oximeter to our COVID first aid package. Only have had to use it once so far... daughter in law was feeling bad. O2 levels dropped to low 70's. Admitted to ICU, tested positive for COVID, recovered enough to be released the next day, a month later is doing fine. The rapid realization of low O2 levels enabled quick intervention and this resulted in a quick recovery.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 am

Janknitz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:47 pm
I would expect you might not have great O2 readings at night because your apnea is poorly treated. The pulse oximeter may show that, but the question is what do you need to do to bring AHI down to see improvements in your O2? Or if your O2 is good, will you give up on improving AHI?
Exactly. He's all worried about an oximeter when he has yet to get his CPAP therapy under control.

He also thinks no desats equals good health. He doesn't understand that 50 awakenings every night makes for disastrous health.

He seems to be looking for excuses to be a CPAP dropout. :(

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:11 am

I hope not--or if he is, then he comes to his senses.

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:44 am

I'm trying to make this work. I'd just like another measure of whats going on. A classic example would be when I brought a car in because it wasn't running right. $1000 later, and they sent me on my way. A few days later- same problem. The actual problem was a cracked vacuum line, but since the shop's computer didn't indicate that, they didn't replace it.

The CPAP is both a potential cure, and a diagnostic tool. It's not the only diagnostic tool, though. When I did my sleep test, they didn't think my apnea was all that bad, but they were concerned about my O2 levels. I just came home with a couple new masks. I'm going to work at this until I get a consistent seal. Then, if it's still not helping, I'll talk to the pulmonologist about changing the machine settings. From what I've read, CPAP doesn't always help, though. On some people, some other therapy is required.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:46 pm

MushCreek wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:44 am
I'm trying to make this work.
Good to hear!
MushCreek wrote:
The CPAP is both a potential cure
It's a therapy, not a cure.
MushCreek wrote:
I'm going to work at this until I get a consistent seal.
Also, good to hear! Have you watched three or four fitting/adjusting videos on youtube for your mask? Some of the videos are very helpful.
MushCreek wrote:
Then, if it's still not helping, I'll talk to the pulmonologist about changing the machine settings.
All of the regulars here control and change their own settings. No medical professional has the time to study OSCAR reports and experiment with different settings like we users do.
MushCreek wrote:
When I did my sleep test, they didn't think my apnea was all that bad, but they were concerned about my O2 levels.
A pulse-oximeter is not capable of diagnosing sleep apnea. It yields a lot of negative diagnoses. The last thing one would want to do is to start supplemental oxygen when it is not necessary.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:01 pm

" . . . No medical professional has the time . . . "
I cannot think of a better reason to take an active role in your therapy.
This does not mean take it away from your doctor, but a good doc can always use a little help.
Maintaining a relationship with my pneumonologist enabled both the bullfrog and I to have
access to safe timely covid vaccine , as Nebraska is going by age only--
ignoring the 20% of us with deadly comorbidities.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:28 pm

And yes, if my SpO2 was good, I might need not even use the CPAP. I don't think that that's going to happen, though, unless my sleep study was seriously flawed. That's why I want to monitor O2, to see what's going on from all different angles.
This may be a misunderstanding on my part, but if SpO2 is good ON CPAP (even with not so great AHI and leaking issues) would you think it's OK quit trying to optimize CPAP treatment or stop it altogether? That is my point--a good SpO2 reading is not the end of the discussion. Even not great CPAP treatment might be good enough to bring your SpO2 up into normal range because it's better than where you were untreated, but you may still suffer effects from sub-optimal treatment.

I'm not saying you don't need an oximeter if you want one. Just pointing out that better oximeter readings are not the final word in optimal treatment of sleep apnea.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 pm

MushCreek wrote:
I'm trying to make this work. I'd just like another measure of whats going on. A classic example would be when I brought a car in because it wasn't running right. $1000 later, and they sent me on my way. A few days later- same problem. The actual problem was a cracked vacuum line, but since the shop's computer didn't indicate that, they didn't replace it.

The CPAP is both a potential cure, and a diagnostic tool. It's not the only diagnostic tool, though. When I did my sleep test, they didn't think my apnea was all that bad, but they were concerned about my O2 levels. I just came home with a couple new masks. I'm going to work at this until I get a consistent seal. Then, if it's still not helping, I'll talk to the pulmonologist about changing the machine settings. From what I've read, CPAP doesn't always help, though. On some people, some other therapy is required.
Actually the computer can and does diagnose a vacuum leak, but first the mechanic has to know how to run the test equipment. It does it by reading the O2 sensors trim settings. you find it by spraying the vacuum lines and ends with carb cleaner or other fuel and seeing the engine rpm change, or a smoke machine and your eyes. The test computer won't send up a RED Arrow to point to the problem, you still need a good mechanic.... Jim

Finding out how your body works requires a level of training also.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:51 pm

The vacuum line wasn't leaking when they hooked it up to the computer. It was intermittent. BUT- When you removed the engine cover inside the van, the (damaged) vacuum line is the first thing you see. They missed the elephant in the room while diagnosing mice. I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen with my apnea. I've noticed that in recent years, doctors seem less and less inclined to make a definitive diagnosis. I've learned to be my own advocate when it comes to my health care. It took a lot of pushing to discover I had 70% blockage of my LAD three years ago. I could have accepted the doctor's advice, and would still be living (or not) with it today. I've also learned not to accept everything you read on a public forum at face value.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:58 pm

MushCreek wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:51 pm
The vacuum line wasn't leaking when they hooked it up to the computer. It was intermittent.
Or so, the mechanic said. :wink: