Anyone using a sleep oximeter?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MushCreek

Anyone using a sleep oximeter?

Post by MushCreek » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 am

I'm new to the world of CPAP, and one of the reasons I have one is because my SpO2 was dropping as low as 76% according to my sleep test. I don't seem to have the usual daytime symptoms of OSA, but that low oxygen got my attention. I'm considering getting a sleep pulse oximeter, which either records the O2 data, or sends it to your phone via Bluetooth. Is it worth getting? Snake oil? Fingertip or wrist? Best brands? Thanks!

raisedfist

Re: Anyone using a sleep oximeter?

Post by raisedfist » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:28 am

Contec CMS50F is pretty good, they can be found on eBay for about $70 new. I have one and don't use it all that often, wouldn't say they are a gimmick, but not really sure it's a necessary item to have when dealing with OSA and not some type of pulmonary issue.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am

MushCreek wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 am
I'm new to the world of CPAP, and one of the reasons I have one is because my SpO2 was dropping as low as 76% according to my sleep test. I don't seem to have the usual daytime symptoms of OSA, but that low oxygen got my attention. I'm considering getting a sleep pulse oximeter, which either records the O2 data, or sends it to your phone via Bluetooth. Is it worth getting? Snake oil? Fingertip or wrist? Best brands? Thanks!
There are very accurate and inexpensive recording pulse-oximeters on the market.

Do you have lung dysfunction? If not, a pulse-oximeter is a waste of time, money, and energy. Instead, concentrate on getting a very good CPAP therapy. Put some time into using OSCAR to optimize your therapy.

If your lungs are healthy and your CPAP therapy is good, you won't have any desats. Pulse-oximetry is a waste in this case unless you can't resist putzing around.

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 am

Well, I don't know how well my CPAP therapy is working. Right now, I'm struggling with a lot of leakage. My AHI is running 8 or so with the CPAP. The low SpO2 is what concerned me, otherwise I wouldn't bother with this. I don't have sleep issues or daytime OSA problems. So far, I sleep a lot worse with the CPAP, but I guess that is to be expected early on. I'd like to monitor the O2 to see if I'm getting any benefit.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 am

MushCreek wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 am
I'd like to monitor the O2 to see if I'm getting any benefit.
That's a suboptimal way to see what the benefit is. Some explanation:
MushCreek wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 am
My AHI is running 8 or so with the CPAP.
An AHI of 8 is like being awakened by a punch 56 times a night. As you can imagine, this would destroy a person's health over time even if that person showed normal oxygen levels all night.

Instead of a pulse-oximeter, you can use OSCAR to optimize your CPAP process and help with getting the mask leaks under control. In OSCAR, you can see detailed information on the individual breathing events including how long they are. If you are having some long apneas, you can assume your oxygen is dropping below normal levels. If you are not having long apneas and you don't have lung disease, your blood-ox will be normal.

Instead of wasting time on a pulse-oximeter, get OSCAR working and post a typical night's detail in this thread for members to offer advice.

There is plenty of help here from people with heavy experience who overcame their own challenges with sleep apnea.

NewToSleepApnea

Post by NewToSleepApnea » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:21 am

Hey Mush Creek - I use this one and it has worked well for the last year.

Wellue SleepU Wrist pulse oximeter.

If you are using this - I suggest using it with the OSCAR software as well because it is much more detailed and helpful on adjust your CPAP right.

https://getwellue.com/pages/sleepu-oxyg ... BaEALw_wcB

There are people who have low oxygen despite low AHI numbers and might need to be put on O2.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:54 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 am

There is plenty of help here from people with heavy experience who overcame their own challenges with sleep apnea.
and you can be a part of that help in his other topic here-

http://cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t181481/A ... ewbie.html
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 pm

Oscar can import data from these oximeters:

OSCAR is currently compatible with Contec CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50F and CMS50I serial oximeters.
(Note: Direct importing from bluetooth models is probably not possible yet)
You may wish to note, other companies, such as Pulox, simply rebadge Contec CMS50's under new names, such as the Pulox PO-200, PO-300, PO-400. These should also work.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 pm

I found an oximeter to be more useful while exercising.
A little feedback on breathing techniques for improving stamina.
But that's just me.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:27 pm

MushCreek wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 am
MushCreek, I would talk to a Pulmonologist or your PCP and discuss your low o2 at night.
I have a CMS50F pulse ox. and it works fine. You need a PC with a USB port to download your data to Sleepyhead or to the reporting program they give you. I mainly got mine because I have COPD and night time desaturations. When I did my recent titration for a BIPAP they had to put me on O2 because of low O2 levels.
You need to get your Apneas and your O2 under control if it needs it.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:58 pm

Zonker linked to the other thread I have going, and some screenshots from OSCAR. It would be great to get a pulse oximeter that synchs with OSCAR. To me, knowing the O2 levels would go a long way towards indicating if the therapy is helping. Last night, it showed almost all of my apnea for the night occurred in a 1/2 hour period. I wonder what my O2 was like during that episode? I also wonder what caused that episode! Maybe I'm an odd case, but OSA doesn't seem to be bothering me during the day. No headaches, no drowsiness, I wake up alert and ready to go. I exercise regularly and do physical work all day long. If I hadn't been tested, I never would have none that there is apparently a problem.

Neo2020

Post by Neo2020 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:08 am

I got the wellue O2 which sends results to my ipad app. There is an O2 insight app which will download to PC but my device isnt being detected but will play round. You can then import this into oscar. Will be great to see what happens when my Aircurve ASV shows up.
Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV spare with nasal mask and F&P Vitera full face mask

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:58 am

Back in pre-Oscar days when we had a local group of this group's members, we shared an oximeter. We used it to ensure therapy was optimal. One member used it along with another member's different APAP brand and finally found resolution for his poor numbers. The group was great about helping each other, sharing backups and masks; we met monthly on Saturday morning as long as we needed the support.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Thumper1947

Post by Thumper1947 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Mush,
I also use the Wellue ring at night. It's excellent, don't even know it's on my finger. You can import the data into Oscar very easily each day and I find it highly useful. First, I have periods of very shallow breathing during the night and it was reassuring to see that my blood oxygen level was holding up quite well even during those periods. Second, I took the charts to my doctor and showed him how low my pulse rate was dropping during the night, and he immediately took me off Beta Blockers, and I am no longer seeing pulse rates in the high 30's. I never would have known that was happening if I didn't have the ring. Downside, it costs about $145, but it has been well worth it for me. If you want to see info on it, just type Wellue ring in You Tube search. There are others also, but I found this one to be the best and it works beautifully with Oscar to give you some really valuable information.
Thumper
Mask: Dreamware FF
Machine: Resmed Autosense 10 APAP

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks, Thumper! Glad to see that the Wellue Ring is a good fit with Oscar. When I had my sleep study done, they didn't seem concerned much about my AHI of 16, but my SpO2 as low as 76%, and the fact that it stayed low for long periods really freaked them out. I sort of question the accuracy of the sleep study, as I didn't sleep well (who does?), and I don't have the classic symptoms of apnea. I'd really like to monitor my O2, both sleeping, and maybe during exercise. I hit the gym pretty hard three times a week. Although I'm not a hypochondriac, I take my health seriously. It took a fair amount of convincing to get my PCP to refer me to a cardiologist, and more convincing to get a stress test, and later, a heart cath. Lo and behold- 70% blockage of my LAD (AKA The Widowmaker). Since then, I eat a very healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, and have lost weight, and have excellent blood work.

It's going to be hard to tell if the CPAP is helping, since I already feel fine, so I think monitoring my O2 is worth doing.