Dreamwear full face mask - sounds and leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Dreamwear full face mask - sounds and leaks

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm

I finally managed to logged back in after being sidetracked, then having multiple computer issues.

So I got a new mask, and I like it. But I have a couple issues that are making it harder to fall asleep.

First is a leak issue. If my mouth is open, no leaks. But when I close my mouth or do something like smile, I get leaks out the bottom. It's like my chin isn't big enough, so there is a gap. I am hoping there is a trick, and I just haven't found it yet.

The other is the sound. Pretty silent on exhale, but there is noise as I inhale. Is this normal for this mask? Is there a defect? Am I doing something wrong? I do eventually fall asleep, so if I have to, I will get use to it. But I don't like the sound.

I do like that my nose is not covered, so I can read (use it while awake) and not have my nose tickle. With my quattro fx, if I tried to read, I would get a tickle and gave to take it off and start over. So I could never read it watch tv with it on. I had to wait until I was ready to sleep. And recently, with some new fatigue issues, I have been talking asleep while reading and this not using my cpap. This is solving that problem. I just need to master the leaks and hopefully reduce the sound if possible.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Re: Dreamwear full face mask - sounds and leaks

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Next time you wear the mask and hear the noise on inhale put your fingers in your ears to check and see if the noise level either
increases, decreases or stays the same.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:37 pm

I happen to be sitting in bed, so I just checked. When my ears plugged, I do not hear any difference with inhale vs exhale. Without them plugged, I always hear the inhale. If I stop mid-inhsle, the noise stops. So only as I inhale.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm

Remind me again what machine you are using please.
The equipment link showing your stuff is broken.

Do you have the little fleece side wraps that go around the frame on the side? If you do...are you using them? If not and you have them you might add them and see if it helps the noise any. If you don't have any wraps maybe wrap a bit of fleece around the sides.

I have always found that pretty much all Respironics masks were noisy on inhale even with a ResMed machine but especially with a Respironics machine.
I have tried the DreamWear full face mask years ago when it first was released but to be honest I don't remember one way or the other about the inhale noise.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 pm

I'm using the Resmed S9 autoset. I tried to update my equipment and added it to my text info with pressure settings. But none of that seems to be posting.

I do have the cloth wraps. I had not added those yet. I will do that in a moment. Not sure why I didn't do that when I switched the to the smaller size.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Nothing in the equipment list works...no choices and no comments.

I suppose we could all add our equipment to our signature line but I am beyond annoyed at this point with the forum software.
The equipment link has been broken for several months now...and then we have had other issues and I am still having to do the "I am not a robot" captcha thing with every other thing I do here.

Sandy20

Post by Sandy20 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:40 pm

I use the same mask. I found that for me it’s slightly noisy when I breath (think Darth Vader 😜) We put a fan on and it helps to drown out the sound.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:56 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm
I finally managed to logged back in after being sidetracked, then having multiple computer issues.
pardon me for butting in. have nothing to add.

it's just that i'm so HAPPY to see you back! i was very afraid that the covid-19 bug had bitten you. good to know you are still around and going strong, girl!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, as pugsy pointed out, a majority of us are having problems logging or staying logged in. and we aren't all having the same exact issue. see the sticky post at the top of the forum.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:01 pm
Nothing in the equipment list works...no choices and no comments.

I suppose we could all add our equipment to our signature line but I am beyond annoyed at this point with the forum software.
The equipment link has been broken for several months now...and then we have had other issues and I am still having to do the "I am not a robot" captcha thing with every other thing I do here.
That may explain why I have had such a hard time getting back on. I almost created a whole new account, but I would have to use my backup email address to do it. I kept getting an error anytime I clicked on login. Then I tried my mini laptop, and it kept saying too many tries even though I hadn't even gotten to try yet. I can't get tapatalk t o work on my phone. But I finally got the browser on my phone to get me into the login, and through the forgotten password problem. Now I can get it to work on my laptop and mini.

I have really been struggling with cpap as I have been struggling with fatigue due to other medical issues, some undiagnosed, so I fall asleep while trying to watch tv or read. And I could not do either of those with the quattro fx mask on because my nose tickles if I wear it for more than 10-15 minutes while awake. And then I have to start over and do my whole blow my nose routine until it is perfect. So, I just got the new mask last week. I specifically wanted one of the newer full face masks with the top of the nose not covered. And it has worked in that regard. I can read with the cpap running, no issues with my nose. And I can pass out whenever I am ready and not miss out on cpap.

But I have found that when I am trying to sleep, it takes me longer to fall asleep than with the quattro fx, and I wake up and toss and turn a bit more. I am not used to the sounds. I have always had a flat leak line because I will get up and start over if there is any leak. I can't stand the sound. This sound isn't as bad, but it annoys me. I checked with the wraps on, and it seems the same to me. It sounds just like when the exhaust is hitting something, but it only sounds when I inhale. But I don't have much experience with different masks. I started with the quattro fx, tried the hybrid a month in, hated it, and went back to the quattro fx. I have also used the oracle a bit, which I really like, except that the "pacifier" piece holds my teeth open. I don't normally open my teeth that far to breathe, so I was clenching my jaw fighting with it. If I could have it without that piece, I would be thrilled.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:05 pm

Sandy20 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:40 pm
I use the same mask. I found that for me it’s slightly noisy when I breath (think Darth Vader 😜) We put a fan on and it helps to drown out the sound.
It's strange. I actually like sleeping with a tv on, but I hate fans, clocks, noise machines, anything with a pattern.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:30 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:56 pm
zoocrewphoto wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm
pardon me for butting in. have nothing to add.

it's just that i'm so HAPPY to see you back! i was very afraid that the covid-19 bug had bitten you. good to know you are still around and going strong, girl!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, as pugsy pointed out, a majority of us are having problems logging or staying logged in. and we aren't all having the same exact issue. see the sticky post at the top of the forum.
Thanks!!!

I even checked a few weeks to confirm that yes, there were current posts. I just couldn't get in. I got sidetracked after a road trip last March, forgot to log in for awhile, and then couldn't get back in and didn't have the energy to troubleshoot it.

I have gotten really bad about not using my cpap and needed to get back to it. I have had some health issues come up that have really challenged me, so untreated sleep apnea is not a good plan. I did a few weeks here and there and wasn't sticking with it. I got diagnosed with dairy and salmon allergies last Sept which took out a huge chunk of my already limited food preferences. Then I got diagnoses with lymphedema. For years, I just thought my legs were a bit fat (not really bad like the photos on google, but thicker than most people). Earlier this year, they got really tight and hurt a lot. After diuretics failed to help, it was determined that my legs were swollen with lymph fluid. Incurable and progressive (with scary possibilities if not managed well). Then, my random vertigo improved while my balance got worse. My hands and feet have random sharp pains and fall asleep a lot, even while I am walking around. I went to a neurologist, and most of my tests are for MS and so far, appear to be negative or borderline. Should know more at the end of next week. But he asked if I was using my cpap, and I had to admit I wasn't. My sleep doctor had retired, so I went to the replacement (also good). I knew my main issue was falling asleep without the mask due since I can't read or watch tv with the mask on. So, he put in a new prescription so that I could go look at the masks and pick the one I want. I had a list of 4 I was interested in, but could not see the inside where they go up against the nose. I have my new mask, and I am getting back on track.

JXG

Post by JXG » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:21 am

When you are wearing the mask, how close is the frame to the front of your ear? If it's close (less than about 1 inch) you might try a smaller frame. The smaller frame will sit further forward on your head and should reduce the inhalation noise you are hearing; The closer the frame is to your ear the louder the sound. On the other hand, if the frame is already sitting forward on your head (e.g. close to the outer corners of your eyes) then you shouldn't go any smaller.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:10 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:30 pm

I have gotten really bad about not using my cpap and needed to get back to it. I have had some health issues come up that have really challenged me, so untreated sleep apnea is not a good plan.
oh dear. you sure are going through a lot of hard times. i'm glad that the MS tests are negative.

i seem to be having some slight balance issues myself, though not as bad as what you are describing. i need to get back to doing some light yoga to see if i can get it cleared up.

hope you can get back on the cpap journey again. it certainly can't hurt you any.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

michgol

Post by michgol » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:29 pm

I am relatively new to CPAP so take what I say with that in mind. However, I recently moved to this mask.

It is louder to me. I think it is from the tube coming down the side of the head as my wife thinks it is a quieter than the resmed F30 which I was previously using.

As to the leaks I still have some around the bottom of the mouth. However, I have them where they don't bother me so I don't care. That said there were two things that helped me get those under control and get this this mask working well for me.

1) Adjusting it lying down the fit was quite different for me than when standing up
2) I pull the mask away from my face and when I let it come back to my face I slide it up so it is just touching my nose. The more I push the cushion up into my nose the more I have leaks at the bottom.