Would I benefit from a CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wires

Would I benefit from a CPAP?

Post by wires » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I should go ahead or not with a referral to a sleep study for a CPAP machine. I always complain to my doctor about sleep and instead of perscribing a sleep med she just refers me to this study. I'm currently on medication called Zyprexa and Celexa (tapering at the moment to get off of it). The zyprexa I feel has ruined my ability to sleep and sleep well. I cannot sleep without taking sleep aids and even though I do sleep I never feel like i'm getting good sleep because I feel progressivley worse each night. Some sleep meds actually help though by relieving the negative feelings I have about sleep but it usually doesn't last long or I reach a tolerance.

I feel like i'm in a crisis state right now because I can't find a sleep aid that gives me the relief and I cannot seem to get ahold of the sleep study because of interfering schedules and business hours. I do snore to the point of annoying others, I do wake up in the morning with headaches and I feel constantly like i'm not getting good sleep. Would I benefit from a CPAP or no?

boxofrain

Re: Would I benefit from a CPAP?

Post by boxofrain » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 pm

I would absolutely make time in your schedule to go through with the sleep study. That is the only way to tell what is going on and if CPAP therapy is needed. Of course depression and anxiety could be contributing to poor sleep. Why are you trying to get off your meds? If you need them for your mental health, tapering/discontinuing could create big problems.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 pm

wires wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 pm
I'm trying to figure out if I should go ahead or not with a referral to a sleep study for a CPAP machine. I always complain to my doctor about sleep and instead of perscribing a sleep med she just refers me to this study. I'm currently on medication called Zyprexa and Celexa (tapering at the moment to get off of it). The zyprexa I feel has ruined my ability to sleep and sleep well. I cannot sleep without taking sleep aids and even though I do sleep I never feel like i'm getting good sleep because I feel progressivley worse each night. Some sleep meds actually help though by relieving the negative feelings I have about sleep but it usually doesn't last long or I reach a tolerance.

I feel like i'm in a crisis state right now because I can't find a sleep aid that gives me the relief and I cannot seem to get ahold of the sleep study because of interfering schedules and business hours. I do snore to the point of annoying others, I do wake up in the morning with headaches and I feel constantly like i'm not getting good sleep. Would I benefit from a CPAP or no?
You might benefit from a cpap.

Two ways to find out... get a sleep study (you can do them at home) or buy an auto machine (used) and learn how to set it yourself, and read the data.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:22 pm

The referral means that the odds are you have apnea.
Cpap is the #1 treatment for obstructive apnea.
There is no reason at all not to dive right in.
(With the sleep study)
A better life is waiting for you!

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:46 am

wires wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Get the sleep study, don't try to do it on your own.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:11 pm

Just to be sure: you're discussing the tapering with your doctor, right? And she's aware of the sleep aids you're using in combination with the anti-depressants?

As others have said, yes, you should absolutely have a sleep study. Kudos to your doctor for making that referral.

Your initial post suggests you'd like to have a long-term and effective sleep medication, but that's an unrealistic expectation. If your sleep study shows you have apnea, you can be treated with a highly effective type of therapy via a PAP machine. There's a whole community here that can help you adapt to it, if that's what's in your future.

But the first step is to get the sleep study. Be sure to get a copy of the report -- you have a legal right to it in the U.S. -- and feel free to post a scan of it, removing personal information first.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

wires

Post by wires » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies all, will try to get ahold of them tommorow.
Miss Emerita wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:11 pm
Just to be sure: you're discussing the tapering with your doctor, right? And she's aware of the sleep aids you're using in combination with the anti-depressants?
Yes my doctor knows i'm trying to get off them. The taper is going very well but the sleep is not.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Good to know. I hope you’ll get a sleep study that helps to explain what’s going on. Keep us posted, would you?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/