Leaks vs Low ahi and good sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
buckc12

Leaks vs Low ahi and good sleep

Post by buckc12 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 pm

I am a newbie and this is an easy question I think. I struggled trying to get help from sleep doc etc for three months and finally found this site and a Facebook sleep apnea group, got OSCAR and started messing around. I hated the F30 mask and tried a bunch and have had the best experience with an N30. I have a ResMed Air Sense 10. I have been getting ahis averaging under 5 and 8+ hours of the best sleep in my life for the last 6-8 weeks. The MyAir app constantly knocks down my score because of multiple adjustments. My take is that the N30 moves as I turn in my sleep and without waking up I nudge it back. I also use another app to monitor my sleep and it shows when I am awake. My question is am I correct in assuming that the adjustments number is irrelevant? Thank you,

LSAT

Re: Leaks vs Low ahi and good sleep

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:24 pm

Good sleep and low AHIs...Ignore the leaks.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:25 pm

My Air isn't considered much good at all when compared to other software, and Oscar's considered to be the best. Why not post Oscar results here for others to help interpret and suggest any potential tweaks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 pm

If I was sleeping good and feeling good and AHI was nice and low then I wouldn't care what scores MyAir wanted to give me.
The most important thing is how you sleep and how you feel....not getting a good score on a math test that means nothing in real life.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

buckc12

Post by buckc12 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 pm

I would love to attach Oscar data but have to confess that I don’t know how. I am writing on my iPad and have OSCAR on Windows on a laptop. I am a Technasaurus ) any quick tips? I will work on it. Thanks for the responses. I really love this stuff!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:46 pm

Access the forum from your computer that has OSCAR on it.
Take a screen shot of your detailed report. Save it as a jpg file on your desktop...make sure it is less than 1 MB in size and it should be if you do jpeg. Open reply box...scroll down to where you see "attachments" click on it and browse (click on add files) to your desktop where the screen shot file is and click on the file or click "open" and it will be uploaded as attachment.

click preview to see if you see the image...if you do then click submit. If you don't...something got messed up.

To do this same thing from your iPad would involve a lot more work...like emailing the screen shot to your iPad and then downloading it and then doing the same steps I listed above.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

buckc12

Post by buckc12 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:03 pm

thank you Pugsy, I’ll work on that. It is my wife’s new lapyop and I don’t know how to take a scrren shot. I’ll be back. Thanks so much

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:25 pm

buckc12 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:03 pm
thank you Pugsy, I’ll work on that. It is my wife’s new lapyop and I don’t know how to take a scrren shot. I’ll be back. Thanks so much
Don't know what operating system is on the laptop but if it's Windows there is a handy little tool called "Snipping Tool" which makes it super easy to take screen shots and save them. It's what I have on this laptop I use.

Alternately you can take a screen shot from within OSCAR itself...Under View (upper left menu) there is a choice to take screen shot or use the F12 button but since I have never done it I don't know where it gets saved but I assume somewhere in the OSCAR folder.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 am

If there is a Holy Grail to cpap treatment....Pugsy might be the main author.

I was consumed by trying to get a low AHI early on. I was doing quite well overall, but still waking up too often....

Pugsy often says AHI is not a sleep score. How true! She often mentions ignoring leaks...if they are not bothering you or the machine.

So, I finally realized venting from my masks was waking me. Both the noise and the feel of the air hitting my arm for instance. So, I found the masks with the diffusers. Problem solved.

I was still waking up when I would get wrapped up my my hose or it was rubbing on something....So, I went to the top mounted hose type masks.

Bottom line is I rarely wake up due to a cpap issue. Once in a while I will sense the nose piece has shifted and I feel a bit of a leak around my nose. Fix that and back to sleep.

The purpose of cpap is to improve sleep quality. Improving how your cpap equipment fits YOU helps it do that. AHI does tell you things, but once you get it fairly low it just doesn't matter much.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:28 pm

realshelby wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 am
If there is a Holy Grail to cpap treatment....Pugsy might be the main author.
bravo! and you are a prime example of working the problem. it's true that there is a lot more going on while we sleep than we would have ever thought.

the trick, of course, is to solve each of the problems as they arise, just as you've mentioned.

good work and thanks for sharing.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg