Longevity of Head Strap for DreamWear Nasal Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ElusiveSleep

Longevity of Head Strap for DreamWear Nasal Mask

Post by ElusiveSleep » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Insurance covers replacement of the head strap at six-month intervals. However, I find that that the cloth area where Velcro "hooks" attach looses its adhesiveness at 4 to 5 months. To repair, I buy Velcro male/female adhesive pairs and trim down a piece of a female strip and attach to the worn out area on the head strap.

I would prefer to have a new head strap, but on principal, don't want to shell out $30 bucks just before a new one arrives.

Looking for input if anyone experiences a similar issue with the DreamWear headstrap.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Longevity of Head Strap for DreamWear Nasal Mask

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Are you unfastening and refastening the headgear frequently? If so, why?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:28 pm

I use my masks for well over a years and when I do replace them, the headgear is in great shape. I rarely have to open the velcro. Once my mask is adjusted properly there is very little need to adjust the straps. I have never used the Dreamwear so I don't know if their velcro is inferior to ResMeds.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi ElusiveSleep ~~~

I'm a devotee of the dreamwear mask and just about my only complaint is why are they so stingy with the headband gear? I don't have your specific issue with the velcro tips but my headgear does get stretched out too soon. Having a nice new tight headgear is always a treat.

You can get one on Amazon right now for $7.00 with free shipping. Sold by CPAP R US LLC. There's all kinds of options on eBay and Amazon under $15. However, it's great that you're handy and can sew!

I always pull mine off and on like a catchers mitt so rarely readjust my velcro except as it keeps stretching I have to keep moving the velcro tighter.

I also find insurance to be stingy with the filters as I replace mine a bit more often than is recommended. I travel between different properties and I notice the filter definitely gets dirtier in some locations more than others. Otherwise, I have adapted fully to the CPAP sleep and I know that's because of the comfort of my dreamwear mask.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

ElusiveSleep

Post by ElusiveSleep » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:43 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Are you unfastening and refastening the headgear frequently? If so, why?
I remove the strap every week to clean the plastic mask tube in soapy water, which is recommended in the product booklet. The band also tends to stretch out and so needs periodic adjusting.

ElusiveSleep

Post by ElusiveSleep » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 am

Grace~~~ wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:40 pm
Hi ElusiveSleep ~~~

I'm a devotee of the dreamwear mask and just about my only complaint is why are they so stingy with the headband gear? I don't have your specific issue with the velcro tips but my headgear does get stretched out too soon. Having a nice new tight headgear is always a treat.

You can get one on Amazon right now for $7.00 with free shipping. Sold by CPAP R US LLC. There's all kinds of options on eBay and Amazon under $15. However, it's great that you're handy and can sew!

I always pull mine off and on like a catchers mitt so rarely readjust my velcro except as it keeps stretching I have to keep moving the velcro tighter.

I also find insurance to be stingy with the filters as I replace mine a bit more often than is recommended. I travel between different properties and I notice the filter definitely gets dirtier in some locations more than others. Otherwise, I have adapted fully to the CPAP sleep and I know that's because of the comfort of my dreamwear mask.
Thanks for the shopping tips! There are several listed on Amazon including some "generic" brands.

BobbyBoBo

Post by BobbyBoBo » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Worn Velcro
I cannot use the full-face masks or the silicone ones either. Those feel like a suction cup on my face. I prefer the Circadience Sleepweaver Advance cloth masks. The only issue is that the Velcro seems to stop working (does not stay connected) during the night. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to reattach it. I have never thought about putting it on and taking it off like a catcher's mitt, already Velcro'd but maybe I should try that going forward. Someone suggested Shoegoo but I do not want to have that sort of thing - adhesive so close to my face overnight. My cpap supplier replenishes my supplies every three months but once a year I only get the nose piece and have to spend $30 to complete the mask.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:29 pm

Any chance you're tightening everything way beyond necessity trying to stop leaks? There are fixes for that but stopping your circulation (and the silicone from inflating as it should) isn't one of them and can be counter productive.

Garyrenee3197

Post by Garyrenee3197 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am

To Julie I’m a new user 14 months in with the CPAP.If tightening isn’t the answer for stopping leaks then what is? Until recently my # of events have usually been between 3 & 5 per hr. Gradually increasing to 9 & 10. I presume that the mask has to be replaced because the tightening of said mask doesn’t appear to be helping. At present it is zinging tight. You seem to have a pretty good idea just judging fr the amount that you participate in this forum of a possible cause or fix. Maybe I should have it tight. I would really like your input. I use the Res Med AirFit F20 full face large

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:41 pm

Garyrenee3197 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am
If tightening isn’t the answer for stopping leaks then what is?
go to youtube and search for mask fitting videos. be sure to use the name of your mask in the search string.

most times, tightening down the mask is counterproductive as you mask needs to inflate a bit to ride correctly on your face.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

BobbyBoBo

Post by BobbyBoBo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:49 pm

I attached some heavy duty Velcro (nylon) and I put on the mask like a catcher's mitt so it is always already sized gor me.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:03 pm

Garyrenee3197 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am
To Julie I’m a new user 14 months in with the CPAP.If tightening isn’t the answer for stopping leaks then what is?
She didn't say "tightening isn't the answer". She said, "tightening everything way beyond necessity trying to stop leaks".

There's a difference between tightening and over-tightening. And over-tightening masks is something many do.

BobbyBoBo

Post by BobbyBoBo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:13 pm

The cloth masks (the only ones I can use) are normally very loose.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Hi - you might look at Padacheek.com for 'liners' which address small leaks and strap marks. Also, the odd small leak or so isn't necessarily a terrible thing if your numbers and sleep quailty are decent... but looking at a variety of masks (e.g. at Cpap.com) can give you ideas for what looks likely and people here may tell you (before you buy) what's known to leak a lot no matter who wears it, and vice versa.

BobbyBoBo

Post by BobbyBoBo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm

The cloth masks are not tight and so there is SOME leakage but the numbers are good.