Leaks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lordvader

Leaks?

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:03 pm

I use a straight pressure of 13. I've been on CPAP for about 7 years now and I use a nasal mask. For the past couple months I have had leaks and they are coming from my mouth. I've never had this issue before until I lost weight. I'm down about 80lbs. Could it be that my pressure is too high now?
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

khauser

Re: Leaks?

Post by khauser » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm

lordvader wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:03 pm
I use a straight pressure of 13. I've been on CPAP for about 7 years now and I use a nasal mask. For the past couple months I have had leaks and they are coming from my mouth. I've never had this issue before until I lost weight. I'm down about 80lbs. Could it be that my pressure is too high now?
Sorry, not enough information. Your machine is oscar compatible, why not get some graphs so people have data? There are some threads at the very top of the forum that show how to do that.

A lot of things change when our weight changes, up or down. But the only way to get a clue is looking through the data.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:47 pm

khauser wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm
lordvader wrote:
Sorry, not enough information. Your machine is oscar compatible, why not get some graphs so people have data? There are some threads at the very top of the forum that show how to do that.

A lot of things change when our weight changes, up or down. But the only way to get a clue is looking through the data.
Let me see if I can figure this Oscar thing out.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 pm

khauser wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm
lordvader wrote:

Hopefully this shows up. Image
Last edited by lordvader on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:16 pm

When you lose weight, a lot comes off your face and the structure changes so masks don't fit the same... you may need to look into new ones, figure out how to adjust the one you have, look at Padacheek.com for liners - they help with small leaks, or consider taping.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:16 pm
When you lose weight, a lot comes off your face and the structure changes so masks don't fit the same... you may need to look into new ones, figure out how to adjust the one you have, look at Padacheek.com for liners - they help with small leaks, or consider taping.
It's definitely not the mask. It's coming out of my mouth. It actually wakes me up and my mouth is crazy dry. This never happened until I lost the weight.

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:20 pm

lordvader wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 pm
While I do see the leaking it rises to the machine's large leak level relatively rarely. I'm not saying ignore it, but I am saying that the machine's ability to flag events is still pretty accurate.
The events suggest you're experiencing obstructive apneas for the most part. While the rate is not high, I wonder if that's the reason you own your mouth (gasping for air).

So, why are you in fixed mode? Did you have problems with auto?

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:23 pm

PS you can look back quite a bit, probably forever, in the machine's lifetime. How has your AHI varied, especially before and after weight loss?

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:32 pm

khauser wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:20 pm
lordvader wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 pm
While I do see the leaking it rises to the machine's large leak level relatively rarely. I'm not saying ignore it, but I am saying that the machine's ability to flag events is still pretty accurate.
The events suggest you're experiencing obstructive apneas for the most part. While the rate is not high, I wonder if that's the reason you own your mouth (gasping for air).

So, why are you in fixed mode? Did you have problems with auto?
I'm not gasping for air. I can hear the air from my machine coming out of my mouth at times. It's just strange to me because in over 6 years this has never happened until I started losing weight. About 5 years ago my new sleep Doctor switched me to fixed and the results have been crazy good. On auto when the pressure would adjust it would wake me frequently. This Dr. is not a believer in Auto. It's working well for me though.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:40 pm

AHI has been consistent even with the when I was heavier. This was one of my last good small leak nights.
Last edited by lordvader on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:54 pm

lordvader wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:40 pm
AHI has been consistent even with the when I was heaver. This was one of my last good small leak nights.
have you considered using a firm foam cervical collar?

also, you could try scuncis-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i employ both methods at once to eliminate mouth breathing while wearing my p10 nasal pillow mask. i'm not sure the scunci trick would work with a nasal mask, though.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:04 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:54 pm
lordvader wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:40 pm
AHI has been consistent even with the when I was heaver. This was one of my last good small leak nights.
have you considered using a firm foam cervical collar?

also, you could try scuncis-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i employ both methods at once to eliminate mouth breathing while wearing my p10 nasal pillow mask. i'm not sure the scunci trick would work with a nasal mask, though.
I'll check those out. I'm just baffled that for 7 years I've never done this until I lost weight.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 pm

lordvader wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:04 pm

I'll check those out. I'm just baffled that for 7 years I've never done this until I lost weight.
all i know is that in my five years here, i've seen people come in with all sorts of things going weird with their therapy due to either weight loss or gain.

the human body is just plain odd in so many ways. it's my opinion that it's this 'oddness" that keeps us from all taking the exact same steps and getting the exact same results from cpap.

but keep us posted, won't you? you haven't heard from everybody yet on this topic, i'm sure.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Any other input? Thanks!