Has your quality of life improved much after using CPAP machines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lordvader

Re: Has your quality of life improved much after using CPAP machines?

Post by lordvader » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Changed mine dramatically for the better. Over 7 years now.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

Driver1814

Post by Driver1814 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:00 pm

No difference, but I was never tired prior to cpap. Only reason I'm putting up with cpap is cause I have afibb and had heart ablation. Heart doc said ablation and treating my mild cpap should greatly increase my odds of keeping afibb away.

Cpap is awful pain in the bum but way less awful then afibb:)

Meditator

Post by Meditator » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 pm

I was dosing off after breakfast and feeling tired most of the time. When I worked out it only made me feel worse. Really started to get crazy this October. I had my pulse and blood pressure going nuts. I would be sitting still and suddenly feel like I had drank two pots of coffee. I was in the ER four times in the month of October. Finally my wife came up with the idea that I had OSA. After two days on the machine I felt better, in two weeks I felt strong. I have had some bumps in the road adjusting humidity to relieve dryness but it has been life changing for me. I feel 10 years younger. I use the nasal pillow and try to get in at lease six hours a night. Seven hours is perfect. Don't put it off. Improve your life. I have only been at it for six and half weeks and I am not turning back. Some wonderful people on this blog (Pugsy and Marylander) were really helpful in suggestions for my dryness. Thanks you two!
Resmed AirSense 10
Climate Line Heated Hose
Philips Nuance Gel Pillow Mask

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Driver1814 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:00 pm
No difference
Huh??
Driver1814 wrote:
I have afibb and had heart ablation
Driver1814 wrote:
Heart doc said ablation and treating my mild cpap should greatly increase my odds of keeping afibb away.
Sounds like a huge difference.

Driver1814

Post by Driver1814 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:55 pm

The ablation is the reason for no afibb. CPAP is just a can't hurt to help keep it from triggering in the future.

As for quality of life cpap is awful compared to no cpap sleeping. But as a person with afibb and who has had heart surgery I'm bound and determined to never have another heart surgery again. So if that means wearing a mask with air being shoved down my throat, well so be it:)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Driver1814 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:55 pm
The ablation is the reason for no afibb. CPAP is just a can't hurt to help keep it from triggering in the future.
^This is a failure to understand how much good CPAP can do for your quality of life.
Researchers from New York University Langone Medical Center reviewed seven studies that included more than 1,000 people with sleep apnea. They found that CPAP use was associated with a 42 percent reduction in the recurrence of atrial fibrillation, an irregular, often rapid, heart rate.

"Active screening for obstructive sleep apnea in all patients who undergo treatment for atrial fibrillation is imperative as the use of CPAP will influence the outcome of therapy and likely reduce some of the cardiovascular morbidity associated with atrial fibrillation," said Dr. Larry Chinitz, a professor of medicine and cardiac electrophysiology.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/s ... m-disorder

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Before cpap ten years ago, lack of sleep due to untreated apnea was making me a wreck.
I was looking at an early death, possibly by my own hand--yes, I was that miserable!
Enter CPAP--a new life, well worth living.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Improved in every single way I can think of. I am rated as severe. Improvements started by 3rd week. No longer feeling like the walking dead, I noticed birds singing, sunshine and how good it felt, and I was smiling again. My sense of humor returned. No more unexpectedly falling asleep. No waking up every hour to pee. Eventually, most of my missing memories returned as did most of my short-term memory function as did my ability to exercise although I still hate it :lol: I was sleeping 10-12 hrs and waking up tired and sleepy, then after 4 nights with CPAP dropped to a little over 9 hrs, and after a month or so to my normal 8H15M. I usually wake up feeling refreshed. After tweaking, my annual AHI is 0.1 and has been since 2009!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Driver1814

Post by Driver1814 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm

With all due respect. It's a complete understanding of how cpap can "possibly" help prevent reoccurrence of afibb, after successfully treating with ablation. CPAP will remain a pain in the a-- and will hinder my life forever. But with that said I'm bound and determined to take any preventive measures necessary to help prevent reoccurrence of afibb. In my case the slight possibility my mild apnea has anything to do with my afibb issue, well then I come with open arms to using this awful cpap every single night for the rest of my live long days:)

^This is a failure to understand how much good CPAP can do for your quality of life.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:46 am

"Awful"?
Oh, HELL NO.
Not only does it let me sleep peacefully, but I can pull the covers up over my head,
and have nearly total immunity to the dreaded "Dutch Oven".

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 am

Driver1814 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm
With all due respect. It's a complete understanding of how cpap can "possibly" help prevent reoccurrence of afibb, after successfully treating with ablation.
I'll drop out and let you debate with the guys below. Bye.
Researchers from New York University Langone Medical Center reviewed seven studies that included more than 1,000 people with sleep apnea. They found that CPAP use was associated with a 42 percent reduction in the recurrence of atrial fibrillation, an irregular, often rapid, heart rate.

"Active screening for obstructive sleep apnea in all patients who undergo treatment for atrial fibrillation is imperative as the use of CPAP will influence the outcome of therapy and likely reduce some of the cardiovascular morbidity associated with atrial fibrillation," said Dr. Larry Chinitz, a professor of medicine and cardiac electrophysiology.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/s ... m-disorder

Driver1814

Post by Driver1814 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:24 am

Yes another quality of life ruiner, not being able to judge the severity of my gas on my wife's way of life:). CPAP is awful but appreciated at the same time if that's possible.
chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:46 am
"Awful"?
Oh, HELL NO.
Not only does it let me sleep peacefully, but I can pull the covers up over my head,
and have nearly total immunity to the dreaded "Dutch Oven".

ZombieLurker

Post by ZombieLurker » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:24 pm

ABoatNerd wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:20 am
I have been using a cpap for 10 years now, I would say not really.
Same here. Being compliant & having great sleep stats for over 10 years, cpap hasn't done much except help with my snoring. However I have other medical conditions that are causing my symptoms.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:19 pm

ZombieLurker wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:24 pm
cpap hasn't done much except help with my snoring
How can any of us long-termers know that it hasn't prevented us from having heart disease, strokes, diabetes, obesity, anxiety, depression, automobile accidents, dementia and/or premature death?

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:29 pm

My husband has been on APAP for 3-1/2 to 4 years and it has improved his quality of life tremendously! He would never go without it.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system