Distilled Water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rdnobler@gmail.com

Distilled Water

Post by rdnobler@gmail.com » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:53 am

Curious if anyone has issues accessing DISTILLED WATER while traveling? An airport will not let you walk through security with water. My new CPAP requires distilled water. I will be on a river next year and the ship does not offer distilled water. Is there such a thing as a portable distilled water maker one travels with?

Thank You,

Ron N

jdm5

Re: Distilled Water

Post by jdm5 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 am

Distilled water isn’t required - if you use potable tap water it will be fine, but you will likely need to clean your humidifier tub as the minerals may settle out.

That said I do try to always use distilled. There are distillers but I suspect not portable. If it’s short term just use safe potable water and clean the tub when you get back.

Safe travels!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:18 am

viewtopic/t180443/Difficult-to-find-dis ... lled+water

viewtopic/t178953/cant-find-distilled-w ... lled+water

Read the above threads please.

Just use regular bottled water on your trip and have a good time and don't worry about it.
Short term use is unlikely to even cause a need to clean the water chamber. I used well water for a week last month and my water chamber is fine and my well water is heavily mineral laden.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:15 am

I have switched to using regular tap water all the time in spite of our very hard water. I was tired of hauling the distilled water up the stairs. The machine works perfectly with either type. I clean out the hard water residue once a week or so with citric acid powder in hot water. Actually just putting the hot water with citric acid powder in the humidifier tank and letting it soak a little while does all the cleaning. I then just dump and rinse. Done.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:37 pm

distilled.png

dougdick

Post by dougdick » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:39 pm

In Canada, the distilled water for CPAP's is exempt from the normal liquid restrictions, so that it can be brought in carry-on luggage. No limit to what you can bring in checked luggage. From what I read, the USA rules are far more restrictive. The only liquid exemptions are for nebulizers used to treat asthma.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm

dougdick wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:39 pm
In Canada, the distilled water for CPAP's is exempt from the normal liquid restrictions, so that it can be brought in carry-on luggage. No limit to what you can bring in checked luggage. From what I read, the USA rules are far more restrictive. The only liquid exemptions are for nebulizers used to treat asthma.
It's just *DUMB* to carry water around for your cpap. Water is HEAVY!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:36 pm

rdnobler@gmail.com wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:53 am
Curious if anyone has issues accessing DISTILLED WATER while traveling? An airport will not let you walk through security with water. My new CPAP requires distilled water. I will be on a river next year and the ship does not offer distilled water. Is there such a thing as a portable distilled water maker one travels with?

Thank You,

Ron N
Certainly you can use tap water as mentioned if you choose to. You can also claim your (carry-on) distilled water at the TSA check point. Distilled is allowed for medical use. Search this forum or Google the TSA website for distilled water info, print and pack it with your water.
Depending on who is there and their mood you may have to answer some silly questions so have a Plan B just in case.
dougdick wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:39 pm
Plan B can be to pack some in your checked luggage. That I know of their is no limit in checked luggage but I wouldn't go overboard and make sure the distilled is in smaller bottles with screw on caps, in a plastic bag AND not in the original distilled bottle which is likely to break the first time your bag is thrown and it will be thrown. Cpap.com sells the bottles just for distilled water. Or you can clean out and reuse a soda, water, or juice bottle, just mark it clearly "Distilled".
I prob wouldn't bring more than 3 or 4 days worth - enough to find some at your destination if all else fails and let TSA know that there are times when distilled simply is not avail locally.

I have not yet taken a river cruise but the 'sea' cruise lines all will place a gallon of distilled in your room if you call ahead make arrangements, this is not new to them. They will also supply an extension cord if needed in your room.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

GregX

Post by GregX » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:19 pm

I have found it difficult to get distilled water locally without running from store to store. I just don't want to do that given the current Covid situation. Water that has gone thru a "Zero Water" filtration system in a pitcher is a good (if not superior) alternative to distilled water. A mixed anion and cation resin bed along with 3 other filters in the system should produce excellent quality water with virtually all chemicals and minerals removed per post by Ron AKA Apr 9, 2018.The only downside to Zero Water is that it is somewhat more expensive (system and replacement filters) than distilled water from local stores. Big upside is that I have control over supply with water that I am convinced will not deleteriously affect the CPAP machine. In a CPAP application the big issue with less than pure water is plugging the machine with mineral deposits or encouraging fungus growth. Zero Water System directly addresses both those issues.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:39 pm

GregX wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:19 pm
In a CPAP application the big issue with less than pure water is plugging the machine with mineral deposits or encouraging fungus growth.
Just what part of the machine is the mineral deposits going to "plug up"???

What cpap machine do you use? Or are you here to just promote Zero water?

Nothing about what you said is true.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Water DOES NOT go through the machine. the air goes over the water to form humidity AFTER leaving the machine. You obviously don't understand how a CPAP works. Any drinkable water works fine.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:57 pm

GregX wrote:
I have found it difficult to get distilled water locally without running from store to store. I just don't want to do that given the current Covid situation. Water that has gone thru a "Zero Water" filtration system in a pitcher is a good (if not superior) alternative to distilled water. A mixed anion and cation resin bed along with 3 other filters in the system should produce excellent quality water with virtually all chemicals and minerals removed per post by Ron AKA Apr 9, 2018.The only downside to Zero Water is that it is somewhat more expensive (system and replacement filters) than distilled water from local stores. Big upside is that I have control over supply with water that I am convinced will not deleteriously affect the CPAP machine. In a CPAP application the big issue with less than pure water is plugging the machine with mineral deposits or encouraging fungus growth. Zero Water System directly addresses both those issues.
Just wondering, what kind of employer is Zero Water? Good benefits package, salary, 401K, work environment?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:25 pm

filters out 99.6% of all dissolved solids!!

shut up and take my money.
:roll:

oh and-
"A mixed anion and cation resin bed along with 3 other filters in the system should produce excellent quality water with virtually all chemicals and minerals removed per post by Ron AKA Apr 9, 2018."

well, if it's good enough for ron aka.....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm

When I was traveling in Europe, I used mainly bottled water and things were fine. At times, I had to use tap water, but not too often.

But back here in the States, when we had our distilled water shortage during covid, I had to use tap water. After a couple days, I noticed that I would wake up coughing more often than not. Got rid of that water chamber, and then found some distilled water. I went back to normal.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:44 pm

GregX wrote:
I have found it difficult to get distilled water locally without running from store to store.
zoomzoom wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm
But back here in the States, when we had our distilled water shortage during covid,
How is it possible that stores run out of distilled water when everyone just hates it?
And every time its mentioned on here its like the Hatfield and McCoys and worse than politics.

Found several mentions of distilled water on our sponsors blog and website.
I recall seeing TSA approved bottles they also sold that you could put distilled in for travel on cpap.com also.
Not sure how the benefits are :wink: ...
https://www.cpap.com/blog/cpap-water/

https://www.cpap.com/productSearch#:::108:bottle::::

https://www.cpap.com/productSearch# ... ottle::::
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?