Medicare requires that I answer questions before my next shipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brightcrow

Medicare requires that I answer questions before my next shipment

Post by brightcrow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm

I'm new to Medicare, but up to now I've been receiving automatic quarterly shipments of supplies, based on suggested usage. I was told by a nurse that respiratory waste is the nastiest kind, so I trash used supplies based on suggested length of use. Now with Medicare, they ask me if my hose is damaged, and specifically how. Same with my mask, humidifier chamber, and other supplies. I don't like to lie, but I feel that keeping a hard-to-clean hose past its recommended time is not particularly sanitary, and same with other supplies. Plus when something breaks, it's nice to have a backup supply.

My question is, does everybody just routinely say everything is damaged, so they can get quarterly supplies? That's kind of what I've been doing, these two times since I got on Medicare. Or would doing that get a person into trouble? How do most people respond?

palerider

Re: Medicare requires that I answer questions before my next shipment

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:54 pm

brightcrow wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm
I'm new to Medicare, but up to now I've been receiving automatic quarterly shipments of supplies, based on suggested usage.
This is a wasteful lie invented by greedy DMEs to increase their profits by billing your insurance companies for things YOU DO NOT NEED. There is *NOTHING* associated with the cpap that *needs* to be replaced on any 'schedule'.
brightcrow wrote:
I was told by a nurse that respiratory waste is the nastiest kind, so I trash used supplies based on suggested length of use.
Well, perhaps *other people's* respiratory waste... but even then I'd say that's BS, there's plenty of other things that are worse. I'll repeat, just in case it wasn't clear, There is NO reason to throw out ANYTHING on any 'schedule'. The only time you should replace ANYTHING is when it doesn't function properly. Have a spare of everything, replace things *when needed*, and quit wasting money and filling up landfills.
brightcrow wrote:
Now with Medicare, they ask me if my hose is damaged, and specifically how. Same with my mask, humidifier chamber, and other supplies.
As they should.
brightcrow wrote:
I don't like to lie,
Then don't, you've been lied to about when to replace equipment, don't perpetuate the lie.
brightcrow wrote:
but I feel that keeping a hard-to-clean hose past its recommended time is not particularly sanitary, and same with other supplies.
I've had my hose for something like five *YEARS*, because there's *nothing wrong with it*. Again, the "recommended time" is something *made up* by people that want you to throw away perfectly good equipment so they can sell you more unneeded stuff.
brightcrow wrote:
Plus when something breaks, it's nice to have a backup supply.
Absolutely. So quit throwing away perfectly good things.
brightcrow wrote:
My question is, does everybody just routinely say everything is damaged, so they can get quarterly supplies? That's kind of what I've been doing, these two times since I got on Medicare. Or would doing that get a person into trouble? How do most people respond?
Nope, around here, very many people quit throwing away perfectly good stuff.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Follow your own conscience--as long as you have backups in case of a visit by "Murphy".
DME's close before bedtime, and are not open on weekends, often leaving us SOL.
Note: frequent cleaning is only suggested--mostly to guarantee repeat sales.
Find your own schedule--don't use theirs--it is wasteful.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Medicare specifically prohibits auto shipments of cpap supplies.
So the person has to specifically tell the DME that a product is needed and the DME has to document the request.
Medicare doesn't want to pay for replacing something unless it is unusable. The person using the product has to say it is unusable.

Years ago...Medicare wasn't so stringent about this requirement but the last couple of years they are enforcing it more.
Used to be you could just get a new machine after 5 years. Now you or your DME has to say the machine is broke beyond repair to get a new machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:24 am

I am on Medicare...Hoses do not wear out. I use one for well over a year and then replace it..just because I can. My mask lasts well over a year with a cushion replacement at about 8 months.. In my 12 years I have never replaces a humidifier tub. The Supplier (DME) is just looking for $$$$$$. I have never been asked if anything was damaged. Perhaps you have been using more supplies than allowed.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 am

LSAT wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:24 am
I am on Medicare...Hoses do not wear out. I use one for well over a year and then replace it..just because I can. My mask lasts well over a year with a cushion replacement at about 8 months.. In my 12 years I have never replaces a humidifier tub. The Supplier (DME) is just looking for $$$$$$. I have never been asked if anything was damaged. Perhaps you have been using more supplies than allowed.
Perhaps, since only a few items are on quarterly 'rip off the foolish customer' list,whereas some are monthly, some are biennially, some even biweekly.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:25 am

brightcrow wrote:
I'm new to Medicare, but up to now I've been receiving automatic quarterly shipments of supplies, based on suggested usage. I was told by a nurse that respiratory waste is the nastiest kind, so I trash used supplies based on suggested length of use. Now with Medicare, they ask me if my hose is damaged, and specifically how. Same with my mask, humidifier chamber, and other supplies. I don't like to lie, but I feel that keeping a hard-to-clean hose past its recommended time is not particularly sanitary, and same with other supplies. Plus when something breaks, it's nice to have a backup supply.

Other than my very first order of equipment and supplies, which I purchased from CPAP.COM and my insurance provider reimbursed me 80% for, I have purchased EVERYTHING out-of-pocket. Since then, I've never asked my insurance providers (including Medicare) to pay for anything I've used.......in 15+ years......including my additional machines.
I'm still in awe at how people can "wear out" so many supplies.
When I find a deal on things that I use, I buy a number of them to add to my "stash".
Just remember, insurance companies don't lose money on things they pay for. If your premiums don't cover it, they'll use someone else's premiums from their pool of funds.
I also look at these items as "consumables". My auto insurance doesn't pay for my oil changes, filters or tires, etc. These things should be comparable.
My philosophy is that if you pay for it yourself, you will take better care of it and it will last longer.
My masks, seals and hoses last me for YEARS!

Therefore, I have a clear conscience and have never had to lie or fudge the truth to get more stuff.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:19 am

Plus most here don't clean hoses at all, ever, unless there's an 'obvious' reason. And 99/100 there isn't.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:35 am

brightcrow wrote:

My DME only calls and asks me if I need supplies and which ones. They dont ask if anything is damaged or not. By all means I would have at least one back-up, you never know what will happen. You should do what you feel is sanitary, not what other people "think" you should do.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:37 am

My medical supply company does not even ask me those questions. They must just fill it in for me. I am on Medicare.
"

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 am

This link is Medicare's guidelines for replacement supplies dated 2013 (don't know if it's been updated)
http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-07-12-00250.pdf

I've been getting robo-calls from my DME when supplies are presumably due for replacement. The robo-call essentially asks if the mask or other gear has deteriorated in any way and if a replacement is warranted. I presume the DME is acting on the behalf of providing the information to Medicare(?). If the supplies are taken care of, most shouldn't need replacement on the schedule either Medicare or the DME specifies, but having a spare mask or headgear is probably not a bad idea if something unforeseen should happen to the only one you have.
I do have a heated tube and I don't know if these fail frequently or if I would be able to tell if it had other than checking the resistance of heater wire at the connector.

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 am

I'm surprised that people don't clean their hoses. Mine is heated, so with moisture inside, it's a good trap for mold. I'll try to conserve more.

Thanks for the input!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 am
This link is Medicare's guidelines for replacement supplies dated 2013 (don't know if it's been updated)
http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-07-12-00250.pdf

I've been getting robo-calls from my DME when supplies are presumably due for replacement. The robo-call essentially asks if the mask or other gear has deteriorated in any way and if a replacement is warranted. I presume the DME is acting on the behalf of providing the information to Medicare(?). If the supplies are taken care of, most shouldn't need replacement on the schedule either Medicare or the DME specifies, but having a spare mask or headgear is probably not a bad idea if something unforeseen should happen to the only one you have.
I do have a heated tube and I don't know if these fail frequently or if I would be able to tell if it had other than checking the resistance of heater wire at the connector.
I would NEVER deal with a company who uses Robo Calls, if they can't find a American that can speak English they will never see any money from me. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:43 am

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 am

I would NEVER deal with a company who uses Robo Calls, if they can't find a American that can speak English they will never see any money from me. Jim
The robo-calls are very clear and English speaking and the only time I've received these calls are for resupply. Very easy to do this way versus other ways that it could be done. The calls occur in the late afternoon or early evening when I'm more likely to be home to receive them (landline phone). My BCBS Medicare supplement provider uses robo-calls for informational purposes occasionally.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 am

Mine will have to use a HU-Man or Mail me and take a chance with my cicular bin. :lol: I have a answering machine turned on Robo Callers don't like them, but I usually pick up on the first ring,in hopes of abusing someone who wants to waste my time. Jim

As far as asking questions and lying, the DME is a expert at lying to people, so lie right back to them, it's their second language. Just please don't order things you don't really need, we all have to pay for the abuse.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire